SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Your boats name..tell me about it (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/64958-your-boats-name-tell-me-about.html)

jobi 05-23-2010 03:34 PM

Your boats name..tell me about it

Hi all
This is where I am, tomorow I will be the owner of my first boat.
I want to call her Jobi after an island in melaniesie, that is where it all started for me 25 years ago. I wish to sail her there eventualy.

whats the story behind your boats name?

Rgds

remetau 05-23-2010 05:04 PM

We got our name Re Metau from the book The Last Navigator by Steve Thomas (from This Old House). The outer islands of Yap are called re metau, "people of the sea", for without their mastery of seafaring they would die.

SailingWebGuy 05-23-2010 07:17 PM

Jobi is a cool name! And you have a pretty good reason to name it that. Thumbs up from me :)

I unfortunately don't have a story because I've yet to name my boat :(

merc2dogs 05-23-2010 07:22 PM

My first keel boat was named "Blown Away II" I just took off the "II".
Figured it was fitting because up until I was about 35 I wandered a lot, friends and family always said I was blown in and out on the wind.

M current boat hasn't told me what her name is yet.

Ken

edited for spelling errors, do I have enough in now? :)

johnshasteen 05-23-2010 07:24 PM

Paloma is Spanish for dove

deniseO30 05-23-2010 07:25 PM

"Keeled Over" because I like word play.. my lapstrake dingy if I ever build her will be called "A lil keeled over" :)

Being in Bristol PA i thought of "Bristol Gurl" and my YC being off of Radcliffe street. I thought of "Radcliffe Girl" (gurl, goil, gyrl, etc) lol

CharlieCobra 05-23-2010 07:44 PM

Oh Joy was her name when I got her, named after a PO's wife. I thought of renaming her to an earlier name but decided "Oh Joy" fit, especially during the restoration whenever I found something new to fix...

proflyer 05-23-2010 08:09 PM

P/O called it FarFetch because he brought it out from Ontario.
I like it so it stays

Undine 05-23-2010 08:32 PM

Event Horizon - the boundary of a black hole, as in sailing into the unknown.
We had the name before the boat.

ROSA 05-23-2010 08:59 PM

"ROSA" Our Cutter was built in Minn. in 1977 by Tom Copeman, who was assisted by a shipwright. The shipwright's wife was Rosa. Rosa supplied all the support for the construction in the way of food, drink and the like daily, during the five year construction period. Rosa became ill and passed away a couple of days prior to the launching. Tom, who had had not been able to decide on as name decided that Rosa had to be it. When we found "ROSA" in '05 we just could not change the name and so Rosa lives on. We have learned to love her too!