Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010

cspaniel is on a distinguished road
rigger in Long Island, NY needed URGENT

Hi, I need a rigger pretty urgently. My boat is in the hard, and today the forstay broke!, mast is up, using the halyards as forstay(s)...I will be getting a new furling system as well, since the one that was in caused the wire to break.
Any advice on someone that can do this work in Long Island NY (Nassau County)? I need to put the boat in the water this Thursday...I know, not much time, that's why I am here looking for help!
Thank you!
-Abraham
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspaniel View Post
Hi, I need a rigger pretty urgently. My boat is in the hard, and today the forstay broke!, mast is up, using the halyards as forstay(s)...I will be getting a new furling system as well, since the one that was in caused the wire to break.
Any advice on someone that can do this work in Long Island NY (Nassau County)? I need to put the boat in the water this Thursday...I know, not much time, that's why I am here looking for help!
Thank you!
-Abraham

Are you deck stepped or keel stepped?
Old 05-23-2010

deck step (Catalina 27 standard rig.)
Old 05-23-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
That sucks.
I doubt that you are going to find a rigger willing to come out today. But I'm sure that if you have secured the mast with your halyards it will be ok till tomorrow. Ask the yard about a good rigger.
Remember, you can take your main halyard forward too. Just bring it around the shrouds and flip it as high as you can.
Take the strain off your topping lift by easing your mainsheet or just let the boom rest on the bimini or whatever.
If you are really worried, take a long 3/8" line and toss each end over the spreaders. One end on each side of the mast. Then pull both ends forward to your bow cleat.
Good luck.
Old 05-23-2010

Thank you!
I am not really worry about the mast, I think it is well secured with all the halyards.
I have until Thursday morning to fix this, the guy my yard knows is apparently way to busy...

I am just hoping that someone will be able to put a new forstay without unstepping the mast, no space in the yard to that.

Thanks again for your reply
Old 05-23-2010

Abe, If you are purchasing a furling system and a new headstay, I doubt that you will have much difficulty finding a good rigger in pretty short order. That is unless business up there is a lot better than here in FL.
I would jump at the job if you were here.

Btw, if the rest of the rigging is of the same vintage as the headstay was, you might want the rigger to do a thorough inspection while he's installing your furler.
Old 05-23-2010

I wish you were around, honestly I cant find anyone!

The rest of the rigging is fine, a little more than 3 years old. The forstay broke because of an old seafurl furling system, the cable broke at the top!

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can find someone by wednesday!
Old 05-23-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The rigger in Manhasset Bay Shipyard in Port Washington is good. I think he calls his operation The Rigging Locker.
Old 05-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspaniel View Post
The forstay broke because of an old seafurl furling system, the cable broke at the top!
Sounds like you had a halyard wrap problem somewhere along the line.
Be certain that the rigger that you hire installs a halyard restrainer. He will have to hoist your headsail in order to determine the location so it'll take a little extra time, but it's worth it.
If you are getting a Profurl, they come with what is called a Wrapstop which when properly installed will prevent halyard wrap. However, I have seen the wrapstops fail. Either breaking from brittleness from being in the sun or simply slipping on the wire.
I really don't like the fact that the wrapstops naturally tend to induce metal fatigue at the upper terminal either.
Old 05-23-2010

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Doyle Sailmakers: Doyle Long Island, Huntington Station, NY Try Doyle sails of Long Island. Call and ask for Rob Windsor. Rob is extremly knowlegable about rigging and if he can't do it himself, he will tell you who can and where. Tell him Dale from N.J. told you to call.......Good Luck..

Dale