Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The upside is, the site is attracting Mercedes advertising dollars.

The downside is, Mercedes thinks we are their customers!
Seriously, how many of us here are rolling Benzes? I mean, benzes built in this century, not veggie fueled clapped out 300 sedans.
Does my Smart Fortwo cabrio count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2010
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Wow that ad was so effective I'm wondering if it was put up by a competitor. Except don't they all own each other now?
Old 05-24-2010

jpmpac is on a distinguished road
I drive a Mercedes...if you spell it F O R D....
Old 05-24-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
One of THE reasons that I frequented this place is that I could get the info that I wanted without much hassle... This changes that dramatically. I had to close the ad, click unread, close the damn ad again to see anything. You'll find me at Anything Sailing Forum until the MB ad goes away...
Ewww. I'll take the annoying ads thanks.

Heh-heh.

Seriously, dudes, enough with the threats to go someplace else at the slightest hiccup...unless it's "Victoria's Secret Sailing" - then I could understand. It's kinawiny. Just sayin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-24-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Now that was fast...Kudos SN/Jeff

Back to our regularly scheduled program

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 05-24-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
WTF???? Where did THAT come from!

One of THE reasons that I frequented this place is that I could get the info that I wanted without much hassle... This changes that dramatically. I had to close the ad, click unread, close the damn ad again to see anything. You'll find me at Anything Sailing Forum until the MB ad goes away...

And DON't get me going on that fine German engineering crap... The best single thing that I've done in the last year was sell my 2000 Audi A6 for $5K. I put that toward a Toyota truck.
Smart move! I ran Euro junk for 14 years, Audi (by far the worst of the worst), Mercedes, Volvo & BMW and spent thousands on repairs nearly monthly. Switched back to Japanese cars (Honda / Toyota families) and have to beg the dealer to take my money now.

I still have one Euro junker that is only driven summers. It is still a huge POS but also damn fun to drive so I keep it for the fun factor only..

7K / Year BMW repairs ran me $3.2k last year
18k / Year Honda = $0
52k / Year Toyota = $0

If Mercedes only knew what they dredged up..

THANKS FOR THE QUICK FIX!!!!!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-24-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Wifes ML320, 9 yrs, 60K miles, supposidly needs a new motor @ $10K! brakes every 15-20K miles......... 05 GM diesel 100K, no brakes so far, I'm sure I am close, otherwise no repairs other than normal maintenance, ie oil changes etc. Altho this is the best one I have had so far. One had three transmissions by now, one rear end, 4 sets of brakes, 2 starters, and an alternator! One vehicle!

Last MB I think we will own!
Old 05-25-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Wifes ML320, 9 yrs, 60K miles, supposidly needs a new motor @ $10K! brakes every 15-20K miles......... 05 GM diesel 100K, no brakes so far, I'm sure I am close, otherwise no repairs other than normal maintenance, ie oil changes etc. Altho this is the best one I have had so far. One had three transmissions by now, one rear end, 4 sets of brakes, 2 starters, and an alternator! One vehicle!

Last MB I think we will own!

My wife's 4matic wagon was at the dealer for six months out of the eleven months we owned it. This was not in/out of the dealer ship this was six total months of time spent at the dealership. Mercedes could NOT find nor fix the problem even after spending nearly 35k in warranty repairs. I finally had to get a lawyer and asked for a trade allowance to which Mercedes declined. In the end I got back all my "diagnostic fees" (remember this was under full factory warranty) and traded the car with a written guarantee that they would use the car as a dealer loaner and not re-sell it to anyone.

The sad part that was they even sent people over here from Germany, ordered the dealer to buy a 6k laser alignment tool for the drive shaft, replaced anything and everything related to the drive line, engine and transmission systems and still could not fix the issue all the while charging me thousands for "diagnostic fees". It was even measured for frame tolerance and they still found "nothing".

They would call me about once every three weeks and say, "we're fairly confident we fixed it". I would pick it up drive it two miles up the road turn around and go back and pick up my "loaner" again...

Mercedes argument to my attorney was that they would not settle because they could not find anything wrong with the car..... 35k of throwing parts at it but "nothing wrong"...???

The term "wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole" comes to mind quicklyw hen I think of Mercedes.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-25-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
She was driving home the 1st Saturday in May, lost power, got off the freeway, to side roads, yellow srvice engine light was on. She finally had to stop, it would not stay running in gear, could idle at 3000......towed to dealer up the road, mistake one on our part, should have sent it to the dealer we bought from, not the new one up the road........ Said the oil pump went out, but main motor still good, along with a timing chain gear was broke. replace all that, still does not idle. only working on 3 cylinders, ie half the bank. Now they said the motor is seized...... yeah right. Other dealer while not wanting to say so, thinks the other is trying to take us for fools. Have a friend with a tow service, he is taking to the other dealer to see what they have to say.

goofy if you ask me, would be better off with a $12K Kia frankly, at least the motor would be under warrenty!
Old 05-25-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Wow.....in defence of the Germans......the Wombet and I have owned an Audi (a4 turbo) and a VW Golf (2 litre natural) for going on ten years now. Only reason we havn't traded up is that both of them are without doubt two of the most reliable vehicles either of us have ever owned. I reckon when I sell the Audi it will be to a scrap merchant though the Wombet is thinking of one of those little BMW convertables and I could live with an Audi Allroad cos the boot of the A4 is nearly full of sailing gear.

Wonderful things. Even the little Golf is a delight to drive. Not a hope in hell that I would go Japanese, Korean or god forbid, American, in preference to Euro. Maybe just maybe I could be convinced to go Honda if I really had to, Suburus are bullet proof but sound like lawnmowers and in general lower the tone of the neighbourhood, the rest of 'em are OK in a marshamallow kind of fashion but thats about all.

In fact I'd rather buy Italian or even (shudder) French.

Of course it alwasy a possibility that you lot simply don't know how to drive and/or don't know how to service decent machinery.......

That said....thankee thankee thankee Admin for saving us from the pop up clutches and for getting it done so smartly.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.