Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Spouse had a number of Audi's before the MB, luved them all! I had a 69 conv bug at one time, ONLY car I personally have owned and driven. The rest have been truck, van or SUV based. Did have an 81 subaru. Great little rig, but that model of Rue would go haywire at about 120-150K. Everyone I know that had one, same issues, including us. Up to that point..........what fun they were. But with 3 soon to be 4 rug rats, the Rue was bit small. Would luv to get rid of the MB for a Rue frankly! She does like the neighbors wagon. I've been found of the Foresters my self......

Altho, driving my dually crewcab pickumup, makes the rodents scatter as I come towards them EHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH
Old 05-25-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
Smile Thank You

Jeff,

Many thanks for the fast response

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Meercedes got a little excited. We got it turned off....

sorry about that!

Jeff J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Meercedes got a little excited. We got it turned off....

sorry about that!

Jeff J
Thank you Jeff!

I understand about the need for sponsors and all, but that was over the top! It took two clicks to close it. Then, if I changed the thread I was viewing, it reappeared again.

I'm glad that I get the email updates (where there are no ads) to Sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-25-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
What? I didn't see nuthin. Been awhile since I've seen any ads. Nobody here's heard of adblocker?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 05-25-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Altho, driving my dually crewcab pickumup, makes the rodents scatter as I come towards them EHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH
Any sensible rodent heads for the hills at the sight of a pickup.....I know I do.

Quote:
What? I didn't see nuthin. Been awhile since I've seen any ads. Nobody here's heard of adblocker?
Don't complain !! It did seem to get by the usual stoppers.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-25-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Smart move! I ran Euro junk for 14 years, Audi (by far the worst of the worst), Mercedes, Volvo & BMW and spent thousands on repairs nearly monthly.
I have a 1987 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon that I've driven for 5 years, and tow my sailboat with. Initial purchase price was $800, and I've spent about $300 on parts to maintain it after adding ~100k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Seriously, how many of us here are rolling Benzes? I mean, benzes built in this century, not veggie fueled clapped out 300 sedans.
Mercedes stopped making quality cars around ~1995. My 1987 190D Turbo is in nearly new condition after 230k miles- and I bet it still will be when 99% of the MBs made this decade have been scrapped.

Parts for the MB are expensive, but it more than makes up for it getting 30-35mpg, and rarely actually needing any parts.
Old 05-26-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
There sure seems to be a lot of passion over what we drive.. That could be a good idea for a new thread.

RE: My Audi A6 experience - Purchased new in January of 2000, one of the best driving cars that I ever owned. It was brought back to the dealer a number of times under 3 year warranty, and they usually provided a free loaner. Sometimes, however, they would be out of loaners, and rent me an Audi from Enterprise Car Rental.

As it got older, I wondered how a mechanic could preform a timing belt, or water pump replacement because you couldn't get to the front of the engine. I learned that the entire nose of the car had to be removed to reach the front of the engine. I paid $4K for both services, and a tune up, when the car reached 70K miles. I figured that should hold her for the next 70K miles. It didn't.

I also noticed that it seemed to go through $800 brake jobs quickly. Why did a brake job cost $800, you ask? Because the never turned rotors, they REPLACED them. That, and the dealer charged $125/hr to preform work on the car.

I went through the service receipts as I was preparing to sell the damn thing. Between 60K (when the warranty ended) and 106K when I sold it, I spent over $17K in service (not including tires) with the Audi dealer.

The straw that broke the camel's back is when the airbag light came on, and could not be reset unless you had both a new Audi Airbag Electronic Control Module (microprocessor), AND the Audi DEALER ONLY Airbag Electronic Control Module programmer. Audi will only sell this tool to authorized Audi Dealers. That should have cost me an additional $2700. However, I know a guy, that knows a guy that worked at an Audi dealer. He told me that he could take care of it for $1000 - IF I paid him in cash, which I gladly did. (I came to think of this as ransom)

Regarding the shop rate, The mechanic told me that the mechanics were paid between $20 and $40 per hour, and they were only paid when they had a car to fix. The dealer kept the rest ($85-$105 per hour). They were not paid for cleaning the shop, doing paperwork, or anything else.
Old 05-26-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I've heard the W123 wagons are really good tow vehicles. Very low 1st gear, and self-leveling rear suspension.
I had a handful of 123 diesel sedans but never towed with them. I used to tow with my 124 gas wagon for the same reasons you mentioned. Great tow vehicle actually. European spec rates my wagon at towing something around 4200 lbs. US says "Don't tow, you'll die instantly" or something like that.

The S10 I use now isn't even rated at 4200 lbs! It does a better job at launching though. 4wd, higher tailpipe -- I don't need to use the 12' tongue extension anymore. Nice 745 by the way! I had a pair of 740s with odometers that added up to 570K miles.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 05-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Many years ago I picked up an MB 300 6.3 sedan. Bigtime sleeper. Looked like your average early 70s mercedes four door sedan, but with a BIG honkin' v-8 under the hood. When it was in tune, it was very very sweet... and when it wasn't, it was just plain miserable. damn near impossible to work on unless you were factory trained and parts came in either of two flavours; unobtainable or soul-exchangeable.
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
I've owned a few MB's over the years. loved ever one of them but hated the repair bills. Driving a new Jetta TDI now and averaging 44.5 MPG. Love the car.