Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Boston Sinking

I hear that a Pearson 36 from BHSC sank Saturday after grounding on the Lower Middle shoal in the center of Boston Inner Harbor. Anyone got any specifics?
Old 05-25-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
only thing I can find on google is this:

Coast Guard Responds To Boat Sinking Near Plymouth Harbor | Coast Guard News

1 Dead, 1 Rescued When Boat Sinks - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

this was almost 2 weeks ago...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I'm on two Pearson email groups and haven't heard anything about a Pearson sinking. We have several members in that area. If I see anything I'll be sure to post about it here.
Old 05-25-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Hmmmmmm.....

My mooring neighbor said that our other mooring neighbor told him that the CG towed a boat, similar to my Pearson 10M, past his house in Marblehead. I didn't hear it was sinking though. It was last weekend that the incident would have occurred. I'll do some more digging.

DrB
Old 05-25-2010

BoatlessBoston is on a distinguished road
This description appeared on a Boston area board. (Makes me wonder: how easily do keels break off?)

It was a Sailing Center 36' Pearson with 5 people on board. What they did was to fetch up on the spit that comes north west off the deer Island light. At first they tried to get off themselfs but with an outgoing tide they were stuck hard. They never called anyone for help figuring they could safely ride out the tide and re-float on the incoming tide in an hour or so. What happened was a few big wakes came through picking up the boat and slamming it back down eventually breaking off the keel at the keel root. The boat capsized and rapidly filled with water. All people on board were dumped in the water and quickly rescued by the state police and CG 25'. They were taken to The Black Falcon pier to an awaiting ambulance. They were OK other then maybe a little exposure and being soaking wet. The boat was salvaged by Mike McDivitt from Peddocks Island Marine using a crane and barge. I have some close up pictures of the boat. What a shame. The good news is no-one was hurt. I've seen this happen before with a J-41 a few years back. Sailboats don't like to be left on a hard surface's with all their weight on the keel joint. Especially in a high traffic area like Deer Island light, Faun bar or Lower Middle.
Old 05-25-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatlessBoston View Post
This description appeared on a Boston area board. (Makes me wonder: how easily do keels break off?)

It was a Sailing Center 36' Pearson with 5 people on board. What they did was to fetch up on the spit that comes north west off the deer Island light. At first they tried to get off themselfs but with an outgoing tide they were stuck hard. They never called anyone for help figuring they could safely ride out the tide and re-float on the incoming tide in an hour or so. What happened was a few big wakes came through picking up the boat and slamming it back down eventually breaking off the keel at the keel root. The boat capsized and rapidly filled with water. All people on board were dumped in the water and quickly rescued by the state police and CG 25'. They were taken to The Black Falcon pier to an awaiting ambulance. They were OK other then maybe a little exposure and being soaking wet. The boat was salvaged by Mike McDivitt from Peddocks Island Marine using a crane and barge. I have some close up pictures of the boat. What a shame. The good news is no-one was hurt. I've seen this happen before with a J-41 a few years back. Sailboats don't like to be left on a hard surface's with all their weight on the keel joint. Especially in a high traffic area like Deer Island light, Faun bar or Lower Middle.
Hmmm..
thanks, can you share or PM the name of the board? It is hard to believe wakes could bust the keel off a Pearson...I've seen dozens of boats aground and refloated in that same general area over the years, most apparently no worse for wear....
Old 05-26-2010

BoatlessBoston is on a distinguished road
MassBaySailors : MassBaySailors
Old 05-26-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Wow - quite the story there in your link, BB. Sobering stuff to us all lest any of us get to feel complacent about our skills and abilities. Mistakes galore, but self admitted in a refreshingly honest and straightforward way, credit to the skipper for that.

Here's a more direct link:

Yahoo! Groups

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-26-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Hmmm...I am amazed that any impact would remove a keel. I believe this is a cored hull...my bet is the impact ripped out not the keel, but the whole keel stub. It would be interesting to see a picture, anyone know where Peddocks Island Marine is located (nothing is on Peddocks Island...).
Old 05-26-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
That is an excellent reminder to always be careful.. Very sobering stuff indeed.

I remember once while going around the islands here that I traveled within a marker that indicated a sunken boat. The idea there was that it hit a rock, sunk and the rock it hit along with the boat itself were obviously a danger still. I felt confident that I was far enough to port of it to miss it but our islands around here have long submersed rocks that come out to a point, which of course is where the marker is. A sailor came over to my boat when we docked and gave me a quick reminder that it wasn't a good idea (he was ahead of us going to the same place) and was ready on channel 16 in the case something happened.

*sigh* memories.. Be ever vigilant is my new motto