new awlgrip for my old Alden, awlgrip color combinations that work questions? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
new awlgrip for my old Alden, awlgrip color combinations that work questions?

Greetings Folks,

Amongst other things My Alden Caravelle is going in for an awlgrip treatment. ...started with doing the decks due to a small soft spot by the windlass and next thing you know we're painting the whole boat.

Torn on color choices. She has been a blueish white hull now or perhaps a light blue color. -not sure wer'e going back that way.

Any thoughts on color choices? I've had some thoughts of Flag Blue but not sure I want the dark hull. I've considered Stars and Stripes Blue which I think is great but have heard it is difficult to get it to come out right. ...thought of some shade of white but the choices are endless. I am sure certain colors work better together than others for decks and topsides. I may not be color blind but I think I'm color stupid!!!

Anyone care to share their experiences or opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
new awlgrip for my old Alden, awlgrip color combinations that work questions?-img00013-20100518-1520.jpg   new awlgrip for my old Alden, awlgrip color combinations that work questions?-dsc00483.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
How about gray?

I have now had two boats painted in whisper gray Awlgrip with dark blue trim (Aristo Blue?). It is a very classy looking combination and has drawn many complements. It is also very practical since scratches do not show and it is cool inside on hot, sunny days.

Whoever is doing your boat may have some around and you can put a smear on the hull to get an idea what it is like.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 05-25-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I went with perfection Mauritius Blue, Mediterranean White for the boot stripe and deck, and Oyster for the non skid areas.

Dark blue hulls looks great on a boat with such classic lines. It is a PITA to get the hull straight enough for dark paint, and I don't think many boatyards care enough to get it perfect. I certainly would not want to pay for the amount of time that I spent on mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 05-25-2010

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
visual

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I have now had two boats painted in whisper gray Awlgrip with dark blue trim (Aristo Blue?). It is a very classy looking combination and has drawn many complements. It is also very practical since scratches do not show and it is cool inside on hot, sunny days.

Whoever is doing your boat may have some around and you can put a smear on the hull to get an idea what it is like.
pictures! We want pictures!

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
Old 05-25-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Pictures of mine.

Prior to first launch.

Going away

My favorite pic (except for the dirty bottom)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2010

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I'm personally a fan of Flag Blue with white stripe and red bottom with white topsides. US27inKS' boat is that color or similar. It looks sharp on US27inKs' boat, it looks sharp on mine and your boat certainly has the lines to have it look terrific. I've heard it can make the boat warmer inside, but I have no empirical information to back this up.
Old 05-25-2010

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
- that's the second suggestion for whisper gray I've recieved.

- agreed Dark Blue looks great. I'm not sure I'm ready to be that nervous docking a 20,000 lb dark blue hull however... The hull is extremely fair and doesn't look like it's changed shape at all in its (almost) 40 years.

I'm terribly undecided but need to make good decisions pretty quickly. Thanks for the suggestions.

Wife wants me to paint her "blue tone white" or maybe awlgrip/awlcraft "ice blue" which both kind of straddle to the old color ... I've only ever seen sportfisherman painted these colors so am having a hard time with the vision.
Old 05-25-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharedwatch View Post
- agreed Dark Blue looks great. I'm not sure I'm ready to be that nervous docking a 20,000 lb dark blue hull however... The hull is extremely fair and doesn't look like it's changed shape at all in its (almost) 40 years.
I will say that the paint has been much tougher than I thought it would be. We have those hard white plastic bumpers on the docks. I regularly run into the dock and I have figured out that I'm better off without the fenders. The dock wipes off the paint with "Goof Off" and going into my 4th season I still have no scratches. In fact if you look closely at the bottom picture you can see a couple of small white streaks just below the cove stripe at the widest point of the boat. Those are from the dock, and next time I washed the boat they were gone. I've even torn the bumper off the front of my slip and scraped the bow against the wood with no scratch. Perfection is really tough stuff and I know Awlgrip is just as tough. If you have a concrete dock, all bets are off though.

Old 05-25-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Another vote for Whisper Gray.... light enough to be relatively low maintenance, different enough from White to be noticed. We used black trim and white decks/rig.. was a clean looking package.

My personal favourite, though, would be Forest Green with gold or white trim.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-25-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
What can I say other than I like my boat's new color. It's difficult to see but there is a pin stripe of orange between the blue and white.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.