SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Life lines (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/65038-life-lines.html)

bofus1 05-25-2010 07:00 PM

Life lines

Can someone please tell me the best way to loosen up pelican hooks and lifeline nuts that have been setting on hard for 5 years? I've tried WD-40 but to no avail. Thank you in advance. Pearson 30 bofus11

sailingdog 05-25-2010 07:08 PM

Try Kroil or PB Blaster... these are industrial grade penetrating lubricants. Be careful with them as the will attack rubber and plastic in many cases. :D

knothead 05-25-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bofus1 (Post 607103)
Can someone please tell me the best way to loosen up pelican hooks and lifeline nuts that have been setting on hard for 5 years? I've tried WD-40 but to no avail. Thank you in advance. Pearson 30 bofus11

Spraying with WD, Blaster or any other penetrant will not usually have an immediate effect. If you do it regularly over a period of time, you will have better luck.

If you are just trying to adjust the pelican hooks, try spraying them for awhile, then while holding the swage stud in a pair of vise grip pliers or better yet, a vise with soft jaws, carefully start working the locknut back and forth. If you get movement, keep working it. Don't force it or it might gall or shear off.
You can use a little heat from a torch, but don't overdo it.
If you can get the lifelines off the boat, then you might want to try soaking the fittings is Ospho. It will eat the rust and clean up the stainless.

Truthfully though, if your fittings are seized up, they should be replaced.

Good luck.

bofus1 05-26-2010 05:50 PM

Bofus11 here; thanks for the replies- any more will be appreciated

CharlieCobra 05-26-2010 07:38 PM

Stainless is like aluminum in that it will gall against like metal. It could be that this is your issue. Once ya get them apart, if ya get them apart, replacement is advised. Use an "anti-seize" paste when re-assembling.

ambianceack 05-26-2010 08:46 PM

heat gently with propane torch to crack the rust

PorFin 05-27-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 607111)

Truthfully though, if your fittings are seized up, they should be replaced.

Good luck.

Please listen to Knotty!!! If they are so rusted that they are siezed, you cannot be sure that the rust is the only problem.

The saying "penny wise, pound foolish" certainly applies here. You are literally gambling with the safety of you and your crew here for a relatively inexpensive rigging job.

You can struggle with the existing stuff, and always have that nagging worry in the back of your mind about whether or not the old ones will fail.

Or you can replace the lifelines with new ones and have a secure feeling that they can be depended on to do their job -- helping to keep captain and crew aboard the boat.

Your choice, but I know which one I'd make.

erps 05-27-2010 08:32 AM

Don't some of the fittings have backwards threads too? You might be doing a "leftie-loosey" but tightening it up instead. Just sayin'.

Boasun 05-27-2010 10:20 AM

90% of your turn buckles have both right hand & left hand thread. And finding a new locking nut for that left hand thread is nigh on to impossible.
Why you ask a turn buckle has both? Well when you are turning the barrel of said turn buckle both ends move in or out the same amount.
Inspect every turn buckle you have on your boat and you will see what I am talking about.

knothead 05-27-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 607722)
Don't some of the fittings have backwards threads too? You might be doing a "leftie-loosey" but tightening it up instead. Just sayin'.

Many, if not the majority of pelican hook studs are left handed.

Boasun, what are the ten percent of turnbuckles that don't have both left and right hand threads?