Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
A Cautionary Tale

Mystery remains in death of boater found off Long Beach coast - Press-Telegram

Short story: very experienced sailor ran aground in rough seas between Catalina and Marina del Rey. They found his boat, but not him. A few days later, some people found his body floating several miles away.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Bill--

He did not "run aground" between Catalina and Marina Del Rey--there is no "ground" between the two. Evidently he went overboard in rought weather and I suspect died of exposure as the water is only in the 60's. His boat was a 26' Folkboat and in the big seas and winds that can build in the Catalina Channel, was likely bouncing around pretty well (been there, done that, got the T-shirt on a Cal 2-29. Wouln't like doing it again.) He was a very experienced--well liked--sailor wearing a PFD but was not tethered to the boat. A terrible waste for a moment's indiscretion. Our hearts go out to his wife and family.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-28-2010
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
sad...
Old 05-28-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
that's awful... just goes to show that even the best can be overcome by the power of the sea, and to never forget the importance of safety equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Bill--

He did not "run aground" between Catalina and Marina Del Rey--there is no "ground" between the two.
All I know is that the several different reports I read indicated that boat had struck some rocks in the area and was found aground. I am not familiar with the area, so I dunno.

Anyhow, it is a sad tale in any case.

Thanks.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 05-28-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
Short story: very experienced sailor ran aground in rough seas between Catalina and Marina del Rey. They found his boat, but not him. A few days later, some people found his body floating several miles away.
You simply misread the paragraph. What it is saying is that Kirschbaum (who was a client of mine, when he had the boat here in the Bay Area, BTW) went overboard between Catalina and MDR. The boat came ashore by itself at MDR.

"Investigators believe he may have been swept off his 26-foot sailboat "Feral" in rough seas between Catalina and Marina del Rey, where the boat ran into rocks Sunday afternoon."
Old 05-28-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Gotcha. There was another report I read yesterday that indicated he had run aground. I thought it was odd, because it did not explain how him running aground had caused him to disappear from the boat.

- Mark Twain
Old 05-28-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Bill--

I apologize if my response to your post seemed prefunctory. It was not intended in theat manner.

The yacht washed up on Venice/Ocean Beach north of Marina Del Rey:

Further information is available at Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude and Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.