SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Swiftsure 2010.. gear buster to drifter and back (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/65196-swiftsure-2010-gear-buster-drifter-back.html)

Faster 06-01-2010 09:22 AM

Swiftsure 2010.. gear buster to drifter and back

In fairly stark contrast to Easter's Southern Straits race, Swiftsure started in a good solid breeze that died away leaving racers to fight ebbing tides in little breeze, some holding ground and others losing ground for hours Sunday morning. The early pressure was enough, though, to cause some blown sails and a couple of dropped rigs.

Official site:
2010 Race Results Swiftsure 2010 Official Website

Here's a great slide show of images:

Swiftsure 2010

Our son was crewing on "Something Wicked", a Farr Beneteau 40.7 - they had a good day and look to place well in the middle distance Flattery race. (results not yet in officially)

sailjunkie 06-01-2010 02:44 PM

Funny, Faster, I didn't hear too much about the race. Global TV had a short clip on Saturday. That was about it.

Many thanks for the link to the images. Nice ones! Are they the official ones? If not, do you know who the photographer was?

Faster 06-01-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailjunkie (Post 608916)
Funny, Faster, I didn't hear too much about the race. Global TV had a short clip on Saturday. That was about it.

Many thanks for the link to the images. Nice ones! Are they the official ones? If not, do you know who the photographer was?

That particular slide show was posted by Jan's Marine Photography, and is linked to on the official site.

proflyer 06-01-2010 10:30 PM

Thanks Faster,
I was in Victoria for a heart operation and it got cancelled so we walked the docks in victoria Friday night and looked at the boats then went to Clova point for the start. The breeze and tide were pretty strong and after the first class had started it got a little confused with a recall and delay for the next classes. The committee boat was about 200ft offshore and we saw some exciting manoeuvres around the start line. It was good to watch.

blt2ski 06-02-2010 12:02 AM

Trying to load results and see what happened. Saw what appeared to be boats returning monday afternoon on my way home from places south going north.

marty

Faster 06-02-2010 09:50 AM

Results were up last night, finally.... lots of attrition mostly due to slow progress and withdrawals. Turns out the boat our son was on was 1st in class, 1st in div and 1st in Flattery race! Nice!

cwyckham 06-03-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 609177)
Results were up last night, finally.... lots of attrition mostly due to slow progress and withdrawals. Turns out the boat our son was on was 1st in class, 1st in div and 1st in Flattery race! Nice!

Fantastic! I was on a Jeanneau 37 in the Flattery race. We pulled out sunday morning because people had places to get to. Too bad, really, though we wouldn't have placed well. Kudos to your son.

It was my first big race and we were right in the thick of it with the big boys in the second start. What an adrenaline rush!

Unfortunately, I fell from the cabin top to the bottom rail during the heavier winds (30-35 knots) and hurt my back. Almost went overboard. Very scary. Good news is, it didn't really seize up until we got back Sunday night, so I was sore but able to contribute fully as a crew member (between puking sessions). It was cold, hard work, and tons of fun. Can't wait for next year.

Stillraining 06-03-2010 11:14 PM

Another missed year...Hopefully next...

Faster 06-04-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwyckham (Post 609773)
Fantastic! I was on a Jeanneau 37 in the Flattery race. We pulled out sunday morning because people had places to get to. Too bad, really, though we wouldn't have placed well. Kudos to your son.

It was my first big race and we were right in the thick of it with the big boys in the second start. What an adrenaline rush!

Unfortunately, I fell from the cabin top to the bottom rail during the heavier winds (30-35 knots) and hurt my back. Almost went overboard. Very scary. Good news is, it didn't really seize up until we got back Sunday night, so I was sore but able to contribute fully as a crew member (between puking sessions). It was cold, hard work, and tons of fun. Can't wait for next year.

Puking, cold, slow, and Fantastic!?!?! Clearly you were cut out for this!

cwyckham 06-04-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 609855)
Puking, cold, slow, and Fantastic!?!?! Clearly you were cut out for this!

We coined a new TLA (Three Letter Acronym) during the race: SAS or Swiftsure Amnesia Syndrome. Apparently most of the crew swear that they'll never do another one. Then by the time they get home and under a hot shower, they're planning for next year.