Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Lopping two feet off the bottom of the sail will very probably change the balance of the boat, and that may even ruin the balance of the boat.

Glassing the pop-up up will either be damned expensive (damned expensive!) or butt ugly, and in either case probably ruin the resale/residual value of the boat as well.

So, if you really are attached to that boat...by all means enjoy experimental surgery on it. But I'd strongly suggest selling the boat, unbutchered, and just starting over with a boat that fit your needs better.

6'3" and standing headroom on a small sailboat is going to be a problem, but I think you're far better off buying a boat that has enough headroom, than trying to make extensive changes in the boat that will pretty much make in unsaleable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2010

nerys is on a distinguished road
I don't want to modify the sail if I can help it. So I would rather just make the MAST longer. Its a very light weight boom and mast I was able to pick it up by my self.

Unsaleable is FINE by me. One of my fatal flaws is I never get RID of anything :-) hehehe

Unsailable thats important to me. If it turns out this would adversely affect its ability to sail the project is canned right in the design phase :-)

Slower is fine. Unsafe is not fine. I will worry about that next year.

I kind of sort of do glass work for a living/hobby. I build mach 2+ rockets that hit 20,000 feet. I work with carbon fiber and kevlar. Fiberglass is rather cheap and easy to work with if you know how.

I figure I could build a whole new cabin top for the boat for under $500 and thats with key carbon fiber reinforcements here and their etc.. new windows etc.. When I was done it would look like it came that way from the factory.

its a BIG project for sure. many many hours. its not something I would do this summer or even in the next year. Its just dreaming right now. I have more important things to do than blow 500 hours into a new roof for my boat :-)

when I have gone out a hundred or so times. made a couple costal trips etc.. and have decided I REALLY like this. When I am proficient enough to be able to go out rig and sail my boat anywhere I want with my own skill.

THEN maybe I will think about hard core modifications. For now its just fun to talk about them.

My "net sense" is starting to tell me I am hitting a stiff audience on this. I find sometimes when people online get a concept in their head they are very hard to move from that concept and will even get nasty and violent about anyone countering their concept or idea on projects etc..

Its a lose lose situation. If this is whats happening let me know I will drop this subject immediately. I LIKE this little community here and don't want enemies over something as stupid as a project that might not even ever happen.

The boat I WANT I can not afford. it will be many many years before I can afford such a boat. SO THIS is the boat I have to work with.

I don't want to raise it up because I need to. I want to because I WANT too and I think it would be a fun challenging project.

I don't want thrusters because I need them. I want them because they would be cool. They would be FUN and they are right up my alley for a build project.

HECK I eventually want to make a wee little dingy that is electric solar powered that has some sort of inertial guidance and obstruction avoidance intelligence. I would "dial up" my dingy from my moored sailboat it would undock from the sail boat and power on over to me pick me up and take me to my sail boat. (YEAH thats a REALLy big project) but its the kind of thing I enjoy.

I like dreaming. If this is rubbing people wrong just tell me and I won't do it here. I don't want enemies. Especially over silly stuff.
Old 06-03-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Dreaming never rubs people the wrong way around here. Ignoring the laws of physics, sound engineering principles, general seaworthiness, and advice and opinions that have been solicited, yeah, that will get folks a little salty around here.
Not that you've done any of this yet.

You're a puzzle,but at least you are an enthusiastic puzzle who sorta seems to be getting it.
Old 06-04-2010

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Go for it. Be the boat that people stand around scratching their heads looking at and saying "what the heck?!?!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2010

I just found pdracer.com and am drooling :-)

Off course already dreaming of modding one. What about adding wheels so the pdracer "IS ITS OWN" trailer :-) hehe

PaulinVictoria. I have simple guiding philosophies in life.

Be honorable.
Normal is Boring.
Old 06-04-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Go

I read part. Seems you got a new ( very old) boat. I can relate to your ambition to make it cooler.
So dude....
Here it is:

cool but bad idea. Right now.
Save the idea for after you have sailed her a bit.
Really, just try to learn to sail and maintain the boat first. Fix stuff when it breaks. Don't sink. Don't start choppin on your boat!

That's it. The reasons are plentiful.
Max
Old 06-04-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Once you've sailed it and understand how to sit on the coamings when heeled and how to stand when doing a reach, I think your wish for 6ft under the boom will diminish. When I had my hunter 23 standing was ok but not necessary. 6ft down below is only necessary if you need to stand while cooking on a stove. When you come on my boat You'll see I don't stand all the time. (makes my feet hurt)

The reason sail boats are designed with low above the water cabins and decks. Windage, Example J - boats. and uh.. swing keel boats have a capsize factor to consider.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
nerys, if you make the mast two feet taller and move the sail and boom up with it, you will probably also need to change the standing rigging and move the spreaders up. And once that's all done, you will have raised the center of effort and gravity of the boat, making it more tippy and requiring it to be reefed faster as winds come up.

A boat is very much like an ecosystem: There's no wasy to change anything, without affecting most of the other things in the system. Generally, reducing stability that way is something you want to look at very carefully. Not just "I can do this" but you'd want to run the numbers to see how you will be changing the stability and balance. Or...just do it, and if it messes the boat up you can always undo it.
Old 06-04-2010

true. again no changes this year or likely next year but I could "raise the mast" only without any addition and just see how it behaves.

Now of course I must know how it SHOULD behave first ie I have to learn how to sail her and how to read her. that will take time and experience. That will come first before ANY changes are considered to the core design of the boat.