Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010

deandavis1 is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It really helps. I will take a picture and post once I have made up my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
What do you seal it with?
Old 06-03-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
Do what YOU think looks best. You, or your admiral, will have to look at it each time you approach the boat. "I told you so" is not the way you want to start your day!
Really depends on the color of your boat, or boot stripe, or whatever. Black is not going to be any hotter or fade more than navy. Lighter colors can look very good, but will be a little harder to clean when the birds leave you gifts from the rigging. Whatever you do make certain that you seal it a couple of times a year and you won't have to replace for 7-10 years if it is a quality product.
I agree with the sealing or annual application of waterproofing of Sunbrella. About once a year I clean all the canvas real good, then apply a good coating of waterproofing.
Old 06-03-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Happily, my wife picked navy blue. Let your wife pick whatever color she likes. If you are like me there arent all that many decisions she gets the final word on so give her any you can.
Old 06-03-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Boat beside me, up from FL, has a new vinyl looking fabric for their while "canvas". Looks very sharp, sprays off easily and doesn't need anything to r remain waterproof. Of course, it's more expensive than Sunbrella. Might be worth looking into.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Sunbrella can lose its waterproofing over time and degrade the fabric. It is a
really good fabric, so even if untreated it lasts a long time. My sail and canvas guy recommends twice a year application of Sunbrella's 303 Protectorant (SP) which is a spray on treatment. I do it at the end of the season after thouroughly cleaning the dodger and bimini and also mid season. Seems to work.

Advise: In the mid season application, usually on the boat, pick a day that is as windless as possible. This stuff is expensive and made more so because I usually end up buying it at WM. As it is misted on you don't want to have half of it blowing away. Anybody found a better sourse?

He also recommends using Lemon Pledge on the glass in the dodger. This is my 7th season with this boat and the windows, other than scratches caused by stupidity, are clear as can be. I do this 3-4 times a year because it is cheap insurance, easy, and not time consuming. Half the time I get the sails balanced and clean the glass while sailing.

Last edited by tomandchris; 06-03-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2010

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Color also depends on how you sail or don't sail your boat. Dark colors tied to the dock can be very hot while sailing in a cool breez can afford you a little more warmth. So if you are a sailor pick a darker color if you are a dock master pick a lighter color.
Old 06-03-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Both my sailmaker and my canvas guy recommended Pacific Blue as the most fade resistant color for Sunbrella fabric. Since my Pacific Blue dodger was still serviceable, I opted to stay with Pacific Blue for the UV cover on my new headsail, the new MackPack sail bag/lazy jacks and a new bimini and connector. The new stuff mates perfectly to the old (except when it gets wet).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.