Owner hauled 32', 9wide mission accomplished or: Single handing Maine to Arkansas - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010

sailingbud is on a distinguished road
Owner hauled 32', 9wide mission accomplished or: Single handing Maine to Arkansas

Last fall I bought a Nantucket Clipper and have been planning the move ever since. First I got quotes from pros, ($7000) from Maine to Arkansas. Then I bought an old diesel truck, a big trailer and started to weld.
I converted the trailer to a gooseneck and shortened it to a 28' bed then built a cradle from excess parts of the trailer.
Being 9' wide I needed oversize load permits for every state I passed through. First I called a permit service for a quote, ($750). Then I called the oversize hauling permit office for every state and got them myself. Missouri was impossible to work with so I bypassed them. N.Y., Penn and Tenn required that I get the permit in person so I got a permit service to get them and it turned out at the last minute that the service was too busy to mess with me so he refused my job. This happened on a Friday when I was planning to leave the next day. That is ARETE Permit service. Be sure to hire them if you want to get left high and dry. As it turns out most states permits are about $20, some are more some less. I ended up walking in to get permits in Tn, Pa and the NY office made an exception and gave me one by fax to a truck stop in route. As it turned out my permit was checked in Maine and Arkansas, no place else. Insurance is another thing to work out. I have had GEICO since I was in the military and they wrote a liability policy
for $1mil personal injury and $250K property damage and that was enough for everybody except Misery which like I said, I bypassed. Ky and Tn were much nicer. If I were a trucker with a DOT # I could have done Misery but to get their insurance you have to have a DOT, you have to be a commercial hauler to get a DOT# so there was no way I could do it and they would not make an exception. Also my insurance company is letting me use the policy then cancell it only paying for the prorated amount I used. I think they took good care of me.
I loaded my boat out of a barn which didn't have head room to jack to trailer level until I drug it out first. Now I know how the stones were moved to the pyramids. Mine moved 1/4" at a time and took 2 days to get 32' out and 2' up on the trailer. More money could have gotten better tools to make the job faster but slow has its advantages too. I did drop the boat off one end once but I was moving everything so slowly that nothing bad happened and it taught me what not to do again. After that I knew the warning signs and kept everything in balance and under control.
Maine coastal roads get destroyed over winter. I didn't know that until I was bouncing the 3 hours which became 4 before I reached I95. It did a great job of shaking down my load and the boat never moved a bit from loading to parking in my driveway. Pa and Ar made me stop when it got dark. I came close to being stuck over the holiday weekend but made it home my last day to be able to drive.
To everybody who is considering hauling your own boat, I did it on a shoestring and consider it one of the epic challanges that I have faced alone. The job itself was physically hard but if I had electric winches and better lifting devices would have been easier. Most moves will be much easier than mine and if you pay attention to loading and plan ahead for stops and turns and hills and wind and idiots, it is a great thing to accomplish. I figure this is my first single handed crossing with this boat and while I have a lot of work left in her restoration, we have a good start on many more travels.
Thanks for the advice from this forum which helped me along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Wow, what a passage! I can see you have everything it takes to make a great sailor, even on a tight budget. Congratulations on the success of your maiden trip, and keep us posted on the future adventures, seems like we can all learn from them...
Old 06-02-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Smack - how about a dry BFS? This guy deserves it!
Old 06-02-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Congrats! I admit that I saw some of your plans and was a bit skeptical, but you pulled it off and certainly have my respect! Thanks for coming back to share the results, and please keep us in mind as you work on the refit.
Old 06-02-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
Outstanding. Now if you just had someplace to sail. Just kidding, I think. I grew up in SW Missouri and did fishing, skiing and float trips. Are you on Beaver Lake, Hamilton, or where?

Great story and I admire your spunk. I'm actually surprised that anyone stopped you. A guy hauling a freaking sailboat looks like he must know what he's doing.

Congratulations.
Old 06-03-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Good job.marc
Old 06-03-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I think I followed your thread last fall. I was a bit sceptical also.

Missouri DOT is a pain to work with, if especially if you are from out of state.
Old 06-03-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbud View Post
To everybody who is considering hauling your own boat, I did it on a shoestring and consider it one of the epic challanges that I have faced alone. The job itself was physically hard but if I had electric winches and better lifting devices would have been easier. Most moves will be much easier than mine and if you pay attention to loading and plan ahead for stops and turns and hills and wind and idiots, it is a great thing to accomplish. I figure this is my first single handed crossing with this boat and while I have a lot of work left in her restoration, we have a good start on many more travels.
Thanks for the advice from this forum which helped me along the way.
Amazing story, congradulations
Would you mind sharing the numbers:
How much for the truck, trailer, supplies, fees
How long did each section take, trailer fitout, move etc.

How did you get the boat on the trailer?
Old 06-03-2010

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Wow.

Old 06-03-2010

sailingbud is on a distinguished road
Pictures

If anybody wants to see some pictures, I posted some in the Members Gallery under sailingbud. It kind of hits the highlights of the trip. Some of the things you don't think about involved making sure I would not be overweight. My trailer was set up for 14000lbs and I had to be sure I wouldn't be over that loaded. I ended up cutting big panels from the sides which eased up over 1000lbs and gave me some great points to strap to. Ratchet straps are very cool but I think every one I used ended up freyed after 2000 miles. I would probably get hit on that if inspected.
On the way I met a guy who transports boats for USHIP. He didn't have any DOT number or anything to be commercial. He was just some unemployed guy trying to scrounge what he could to pay his bills. My hats off to him but I doubt if he is properly insured and using a ford explorer isn't the kind of platform I want my boat hitched to. Unlicensed, marginally insured haulers may do a cheap job of getting your boat or RV moved someplace but you are risking it all being stuck in some podunk impound lot while you sort out the mess and probably pay fines to get your property back.
I've always been kind of independent and would just as soon do it myself as let anybody do anything for me. I never felt uncomfortable or out of complete control while I was moving my boat and every bridge we crossed water I could tell she knew she was closer to her next splash.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.