SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outhaul for Loose Foot Main

19K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  puddinlegs 
#1 ·
Anyone have a favorite way to rig the outhaoul for a loose footed main. I''m converting from a shelf foot and I''m looking for a clean way to rig an easy to use and effective outhaul.

#6 ·
Sure. In the track on the top of the boom is a car that can move fore and aft. Attached to this car is a wire that passes over a block at the outboard end of the mast. The outhaul passes thru the boom to the mast where it can be adjusted. You may be able to emulate such a setup by finding an outhaul car that will fit you boom track and mounting a turning block on one side of the boom along with a cleat.

#7 ·
Outhaul

I just installed a new outhaul in my Catalina 38' (loose footed). I used two double blocks (side by side pulleys) to create a 6' purchase inside the boom at the aft end. One end exits the aft end of the boom in a double block installed in the top and attaches to the clew. The other end exits the bottom of the front of the boom in another double block, and goes down to a single block at the foot of the mast, then through a block near the hand rail and back around the traveller to the cockpit where it can be winched. The second pulley in the boom is used for a reefing line to also be operated from the cockpit. Wanted to make the boat more single handed, so I took all the winches off the boom and mast and now run all the lines back to the cockpit. Put two larger winches on the cabin house, as there was only a small one on the right cabin house side.

Idea for the above belongs to Dave Millett, my salesman from Long Beach Yacht Sales. He's raced for 25 years, and said this is how it's done now.

#9 ·
Be aware that you guys are replying to a thread that is TEN YEARS OLD.

#13 ·
To continue this then, since I am dealing with the same thing myself right now.

I have a new main coming.. they asked me rope or loose foot.. I said loose foot, so that I could get shape.

Now - I should still have 2 slugs in it? fore and aft?

The clew of my current main has a large eye to attach an outhaul, but it was bolt roped into the boom slot.

SO I could find a car? or slug that will fit my slot, attach the clew to it, and then run it back?

Now I was in the same situation.. none adjustable outhaul. I have a padeye at the end, and a little cleat 12" back up the boom.

I want it adjustable - Harken has good shots of this? I am more looking for an image I can duplicate.

This is a Grampian 26 - so about 4-5" dia boom not very big.

Thanks
James

#17 ·
SO I could find a car? or slug that will fit my slot, attach the clew to it, and then run it back?

Now I was in the same situation.. none adjustable outhaul. I have a padeye at the end, and a little cleat 12" back up the boom.
Sail should come with a heavy duty slug at the aft end that will fit your boom track. All you need to do is figure out how you want to rig the outhaul - internal or external, 1/2, 2/1 etc.

#14 · (Edited)
Nowadays most loosefooted mainsail clews are held down with a velcro strap around the boom - simple. Simply a back to back velcro strap that goes around the boom and through the clew a couple of times.

The only issue might be anything on the boom that might prevent the strap from sliding as you adust the outhaul.
The image is for a Laser, but the idea's the same. Any sailmaker can make one up for you for $10-20 I'd imagine.

#16 ·
Quickstep192, congrats on your 10 year anniversary using sailnut. I'll bet Sailingdog is just jealous of your low post count (compared to his).

Biker1bob, I recently ordered a new loose footed main sail.
You said: "Now - I should still have 2 slugs in it? fore and aft?"
I am pretty sure you only need one slug by the clew or out haul end of the sail. The tack should attach where your formerly footed sail attached.

#18 · (Edited)
If you use a clewstrap you don't need any slug at the clew, just attach the outhaul and the strap holds the clew down to the boom. Less drag, much easier to take the sail on/off. Set the strap a bit loose, say an inch or so off the boom and the strap won't choke on the boom as you adjust the outhaul.

I found a better picture:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.