Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Man I'm jealous! Nice work dude!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay - I'm seriously stoked. My dad is coming to town this weekend and I finally get to take him on his first sail ever. The weather is looking great...sunny, 10 knots, etc.

I'll report back next week. I'm headed off to the boat to get the empties and dirty underwear all cleared out.

Old 05-04-2011
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Good luck on the sail of a lifetime! Watch his emotions closely and if he shows white knuckles it might time to head for the bar.
Old 05-04-2011
Last Man Standing

Wait - we'll be coming from the bar! You mean go back?!?!?!

Old 05-04-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
We went out sunday with my two daughters and a friend for each. Both friends had never been on a sailboat. The wind was predicted to be 10 to 15 kts building to 25 in the evening. The seas were at 2' seas and 3 to 5' swells, not bad. I checked the wind at the East Santa Barbara bouy and it was reported at 6 knots with seas at 1' to 2'. Very mild. We set up everything and cleared the breakwater and headed straight out. Immediatly we were going 6 to 6.5 kts and healing about 10 degrees. I let the guest steer and she had a blast. She had no idea that we were moving as fast as we were. As we got furthur out, the wind was building and the seas also. We took some spray over the bow but everyone was having a ball. After an hour and a half we turned around and it got real exciting! We were on a beam to broad reach with the swells coming from the port stern. We averaged over 7 knots with occasional bursts over 8! This in a Catalina 30. My wife sugested we reef but I said i am ok and the boat was handling it well. We just flew back in. I did not want the day to end.

Other than one of the guests getting sick and then feeling better, it was a perfect day.
Old 05-04-2011

TheMist is on a distinguished road
First post here

Had a wonderful sail last sunday. Moved my girlfriend's parent's boat from storage to their Marina. Not much more than a 3 hour trip. They own a Pearson and it's a lovely boat. The sail was perfect- Wind at our backs the entire way. Ran around 6-7 knots from start to finish. Sun was out and the water was calm. Truly a perfect first sail of the season.
Old 05-15-2011
Last Man Standing

Hey mist - just saw your post. Welcome to SN dude!

I had a GREAT sail yesterday in Galveston Bay. The winds were a steady 15 with gusts to 20+, so it was nice and fresh.

We were on a PSC 37 - and that is one hell of a boat! JRP - I now see the appeal. She was cutter rigged and we were flying absolutely everything (jib, yankee, and full main) and she was rock solid. We measured 7.4 SOG at one point - so we had her cranking right along.

I promised the skipper that I would be on my best behavior in the forums so as not to embarrass him for his kind choice to invite me aboard. He's the real deal - so I'll happily oblige...in the short term, of course.

Another really cool thing is that I got to meet SN's own RTB and his wife. Great people.

I really do love this sailing stuff.

Old 05-15-2011
Last Man Standing

And another....here's a pic from the sail I mentioned above with my mom and dad (their first ever). It was definitely one of those times in your life you know you're doing something special:

Notice the family resemblance?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-15-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice smack. I would've liked to have taken my folks sailing.....

Old 05-16-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Cool sunglasses, smack!

Had a couple of great weekends up here. Race to the Straights on our boat, everything from a nice ride downwind ride with a 3kt flood and 18kts of breeze to a powered up upwind ride with the heavy #1 in a very civil 8kts of breeze. We saw upper 9's through the water as the wave pattern/size wasn't there to surf, but with the tide, it was 12, so it was a nice ride. Did very well on day 1, and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on day two in the convergence zone. Live and learn. This weekend was another fun race on an old and still very sexy by any standard cold molded R. Holland 3/4 tonner. Man, the thing just goes upwind like a scalded cat, and the tacking angle is just stupid tight. Forecast called for 'variable to 10' which usually means 'nothing' on the Sound, but a very nice 10-15 filled in making what looked initially to be an all day floater into a quick 3 hour spin! Fun!