Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Great post, Ron. Plumper Cove just got added to my list of places that I want to go to.

I wanted to get out today, but The Admiral made me work on the boat for 6 hours. The good news is that I knocked several items off my "do" list.

Finally, Go Canucks Go!

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
We had a really nice sail yesterday evening. The wind was light (8-10) - but it was awesome just being out with the wife and kids.

We anchored just off "Sometimes Islands". These only appear when the lake gets low - and it's now so low that these islands are becoming a peninsula. It's still not quite as bad as it was last year - but it's getting close. 100+ temps and no rain are taking their toll.

Once they got the anchor set, I threw all of them off the boat...

And then settled in for a nice cold beer...

At that point, I thought I'd conquered the missus and the little punks, until I look aft and spotted another one sneaking up on me...

So, off he went too...

With the boat all to myself, I pulled up the anchor and left them all on Sometimes Island...

I assured them they'd be perfectly safe until monsoon season. I'll probably go get them after work today.

Heh-heh.

(PS - These photos were taken in the water with an iPhone in an AquaBox case. It does distort and blur the images somewhat - but not too bad. It would not take photos underwater through. Don't know why. Phone survived it just fine.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-25-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Smack, you brought back memories of my dad throwing us off the boat. Good times.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Smack, you brought back memories of my dad throwing us off the boat. Good times.
Yeah. We call it the "Punk Chunk". Nothing in the world better than sailing with the family.

Old 07-25-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Reminds me of a time when my daughter were 8 and 5 or there abouts. They wanted to paddle our canoe, so I put the older in the back, younger in front, pushed the canoe out into the lake we were at, watched the fireworks begin! They did figure out how to paddle it forward, sideways, turn etc after a bit. Lots of folks around laughing, including my sons who were about 10 at the time. X showed up, Xploded as normal, walked away, those left continued to enjoy the show. Water was 70F temps, all of 3-4' deep for 100 yds out, they had pfd's on, knew how to swim.......all in good fun! The girlz still laugh about it!

Marty
Old 08-06-2011
Last Man Standing

Balloon Filled Skies

BFS? Well...

Because it was so very cool, I debated on whether to post this in the hallowed BFS thread. But, alas, no limits were pushed...other than waking up at 0430. Ouch.

My wife had heard about this balloon launch this morning near our marina on Lake Travis. The upside was that it was sure to be the coolest thing of the summer to watch from the boat. The downside is that it was at freakin' dawn.

So, we dragged ourselves out of bed, threw together some breakfast stuff, then headed down to the water. My wife cooked bacon, eggs and pancakes - oh and coffee - in the galley while I furiously worked the tiller. Heh-heh.

The sun coming up on the water was beautiful...

And it was cool to see other sailors out as well. I guess if you think about it, sailors and balloonists have a lot in common.

Then at about 0615 balloons started sprouting from the treeline by the dam...

Then, one by one, they started popping off and heading northeast out over the lake...

Then, as you'd expect, a freakin' stinkpotter blew by us, only 30' to port. Luckily for him his wake wasn't too bad or I would have thrown my coffee mug at him.

BUT RIGHT AFTER THAT, before I could even take my next sip of joe...a freakin' duck, who I'm sure was drunk, came blasting by us as well...throwing off a HUGE roller...

His wake just about capsized us. So I nailed him with my coffee mug, and as he slowly sank beneath the ripples, quacking weakly, I trimmed my sails. I mean, who gets passed by a freakin' duck! Embarrassing.

We then just watched the balloons float away into the gorgeous morning sky...

There was more hot air in that sky than at anything sailing!! And that's saying something!!

We then sailed for a couple of hours in the light winds (passing a Pearson 27 in the process thank you very much), then headed back in before the temps hit 100+...AGAIN!! As you can see, our lake is down about 30+ feet. Our slips have been pushed out into the lake about 300 yards from where they usually are. It's freakin' hot and dry!

Even so, great sail today!
DRFerron likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-10-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2011

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
My lord, is there any water at all left down there in Austin? You must be down over twenty feet!
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
Old 08-07-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

We then sailed for a couple of hours in the light winds (passing a Pearson 27 in the process thank you very much), then headed back in before the temps hit 100+...AGAIN!! As you can see, our lake is down about 30+ feet. Our slips have been pushed out into the lake about 300 yards from where they usually are. It's freakin' hot and dry!

Even so, great sail today!

Nice!

If I'm to get any sailing in, I guess it'll have to be at o'dark-thirty. Might be a good idea anyway to try single handing this boat in light winds anyway.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-11-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
My lord, is there any water at all left down there in Austin? You must be down over twenty feet!
Yep. It's kind of dry.

But at least we're not as dry as Big Spring, TX:

Desperate Times, Desperate Measures: Drought-Stricken Texas Town to Recycle Urine - TIME NewsFeed

Of course, I do pee in Lake Travis a lot - so we might be Waterworlding more than we think.

Old 08-11-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Had another night like a few posts back, Sailed into the slip......

After a 1st to the 1st mark of the race, 3rd to 2nd mark, and finished 2nd OA and 1st in division. Pretty happy! The win even filled in vs 15 min before the start. Called for an 8 mile course, pitch dark at 9 and we were doing go to be goin 2-3 knots. Wind filled in, did the course in 1;15 or there abouts!

marty