Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011

singlee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to singlee Send a message via Skype™ to singlee
Really nice,,thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2011

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
I had a great sail last night. Itís so hot lately that Iíve been sailing in the evenings. Yesterday I invited some old friends for a sunset sail. Mike had lots of experience in a small one design called a Blue Jay, Allie had none. Wind had been blowing from the west all day and thatís just great cause we had a beam reach all the way to the turn to go out Clearwater Pass. We also had a strong outgoing tide helping us along. At the turn we furled the jib and fired up the diesel for the run out to the Gulf. Iíve never seen Clearwater Pass kick up the way it was yesterday, with the incoming wind and waves and outgoing tide the chop was steep and close together. As the diesel droned on we were burying the bow in the next wave and water was streaming back along the cabin top and the deck ...... it was cool. Once out the pass we were able to set the jib and get out into calmer waters. I was proud of how she handled the rough stuff, none of us ever felt in danger. The sunset was a little muted last night but the wind held and we were able to sail all the way back to the dock ..... the moon was awesome. I really enjoyed letting Mike to most of the sailing, it had been years for him, and Allie really enjoyed herself. Sheís already talking about how one could travel and live aboard .........

DB
Old 10-06-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
For whatever reasons these days, the transition between the seasons gets more and more abrupt. Fall arrived with a blast of cold air and moisture but that has finally moderated a little.

Yesterday was one of those perfect days, a convergence of perfect conditions- 75F degrees, pure sun and blue sky without a cloud in it, and a 10kt breeze from the west, which means no fetch, and no waves. Just pure sailing, without any water action to slow you down.

The Pearson 30 is simply a joy to sail. It has such a solid, confident feel to it. It moves much better in light air compared to my Coronado 25, which is saying something since it displaces almost twice as much. I had grabbed my 130% genoa, simply because it was handy, and in only an 8-10kt breeze, the boat kept moving well. My 170% drifter really would have had me flying.

The fall season here is some of the best that can be had- Dry, cool, sunny days with breezes that blow across the Chesapeake, instead of up or down the length of it, providing mostly flat water and extremely pleasant sailing. Cruising and overnighting give an awesome night sky that is insect-free. It's warm enough that a heavy blanket and the body head of a significant other will keep you plenty warm at night, and I have a small, propane, catalytic heater to chase away the morning chill, or I just cook breakfast.

It really doesn't get much better than this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-06-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Very nice bubble! I need to check in on your work list over at SA...but how is your upgrading/repairing going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-06-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Very nice bubble! I need to check in on your work list over at SA...but how is your upgrading/repairing going?
Money is my only limit. I want to set the boat up for racing, but I've decided to be a little unconventional about it.

The mainstream line of thinking is to run all lines aft, and to clutter up the deck and cabin top with winches, organizers, clutch banks and pulleys until you have the "pit" position at the companionway.

I have decided that I'm going to follow the example of a successful J35 that I've raced on, that has built the "pit" position at the base of the mast. I'll be adding a pair of smaller, secondary winches just aft of the primary winches, on the cockpit coaming for spinnaker trimming. The spinsheets will be crosssheeted over the cabin top, and the angle to the winch will be favorable.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-06-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Here is my log entry from my first salt water trip as captain:

Sept 25, 2010

Kate (wife), Barbara (sis-in-law) and I arrived at the dock at about 10:15; Fred (brother) arrived about 10 minutes later. We were underway (heading out of York Harbor) before 11:00. It was very warm to start (over 80, I believe) and the seas were a little choppy; the wind was out of the southwest and light. Barbara was a little queasy at first, but once the wind picked up a bit the boat motion was better and she recovered. We sailed north past Nubble Light (about 4.5 miles) and tucked into the lee north of Cape Neddick just 20-30 yards off Short Sands. We dropped anchor there and had lunch (Chicken salad on baguette).

The wind was already strengthening before lunch and this continued. It had shifted and was now out of the west. We reeled in about 1/3 of the Genoa but left the main unreefed. Because of the stronger winds, we made much better time back to the harbor and when we got there, it wasnít time to go in yet. We pulled in closer to land (and calmer water) so the girls could use the head.

Then we continued south for maybe 2 more miles. By the time we turned around at about 4:30 (maybe because we turned around) the wind was much milder and the final leg was very pleasant. The leg from Nubble to the harbor was fun, but the wind was really strong (15-18 kts?). I think the seas were about 2-4 with 6 foot rollers. Between the wind and the seas, I had trouble keeping the boat on course. I need practice. I was surprised (and thrilled) that Kate and Barbara showed no nervousness about the seas or the heeling and everyone had a great time. For an 18í trailer boat, the Moment of Zen is very well mannered and dry.

We were back at the dock by 6:15 or 6:30. We did run out of beer; that was difficult to contend with.

One lesson learned: Rig for rough water before the rough water, or gravity will do it for you. (But I think I knew that!)

Best cruise ever!

(End of entry)

It was Barabara's introduction to sailing; she was hooked! She can't wait to go out again.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 10-06-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
Here is my log entry from my first salt water trip as captain:

Sept 25, 2010

We did run out of beer; that was difficult to contend with.
Nice write up carb. And my deepest condolences on your loss.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-06-2011

Tbrad is on a distinguished road
Went to the lake Tuesday morning. Hadn't sailed my little Windrose in almost a year. Been sailing out of Oak Harbor, Washington on my Catalina. Took most of Monday to clean her up and get the gear sorted out. Got to the lake and the elderly lady in the entrance booth was surprised when I asked for a permit so that I could go sailing. "You want a permit now? We close in two weeks." I told her I had to have the permit iin order to be legal. She grimaced and said, "That'll be twenty dollars." I handed her the twenty and headed for the staging area. It was full of trucks and trailers. Some with boats and some without. Everyone trying to get their boat out of the water before the season ended and they drop the water level. Amazingly, everything went quite smoothly. I raised the mast and tuned the rigging. I was somewhat surprised at how easily I raised the mast. Each year I wonder is this the year I have to ask for help? An hour later I splashed the boat. The wind was almost nonexistant. I raised unfurled the jib and ghosted along getting reacquainted with Thistle Dew. I spent two warm October days at the lake. The nights were crisp and clear. Anchored off a point I drank a cup of really good hot chocolate and listened to a Barred Owl's beautiful call; "Who cooks for you?" A Northern Screech owl added his quavering call. Fish were jumping and every now and then a Blue Heron squawked in gutteral alarm over some perceived threat. The days were sunny and pleasant as I motored slowly along the lake shores. My son came down and we had lunch at a marina restaurant and sat and talked for a couple of hours. I told him that there was no wind so he didn't board the boat. Just spent awhile at the marina and left. I spent each day motoring slowly about. Sometimes drifting and sometimes anchored. I did a little reading and tended to some needed chores on the boat. Worked a couple of crossword puzzles. Finally returned to the dock. Trailered the boat and left. And as I left I wished that there had been a little wind. But then again; there really doesn't aways have to be in order to enjoy being aboard a sailboat.
CarbonSink62 likes this.
Old 10-07-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
"Who cooks for you?"
Love this! I'll think of it everytime I hear one now.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 10-08-2011

Arpegecap is on a distinguished road
Thursday PM two buddies and I took the PM off to sail. Air temp 50 deg. F, wind Westerly at 15-20 Kts. Gusts to 25. Had a blast in the cold dry (dense) air. 7.2 Kts upwind on the beat and 8.0 on a close reach. For desert, 8.2 Kts downwind wing on wing. This on my new Harbor 25. I love the boat and the self tacking jib on a Hoyt boom is brilliant. We outfooted and outpointed larger boats easily. This boat looks tradional from the waterline up but below .. race boat. Oh, and the kevlar sails helped

Thanks to Tom Schock and his crew. I bought the boat sight unseen. It worked out perfectly. The perfect (for me) day-sailer.

Best,

Bob

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.