Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Thursday Choctawhatchee Bay: Winds 10 to 15 gusting a bit more from the East, Starboard Tack out of Boggy Bayou at about 3 Kn, thru the Cut and fall over to a Port Tack and was off to the South East towards Destin. mild chop on the bay per NOAA, the Goal the Middle Bay Bridge about 3.5 miles away, 4 Hours later and having Crossed the Bay 3 and a half time the GPS had me at 17.3kn and a average speed of 4.1, top Speed of 5.4kn. Then sailed back up the bay to a local Marina and logged 24.5 Kn for the day.

This was a good after noon on the Bay, for me my first in a few ways; First time on the the Bay, First time on Salt water.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Had two great sails last week. Saturday in gentle breezes and sunshine with another couple. Just out to the middle of the Sound and back, then a couple of more tacks. Lovely, easy sailing. On Thursday I had a rocking sail over to Connecticut in a moderate to fresh breeze. Anchored for a nap and a snack. Joind in the anchorage by a southbound schooner, I wished I were southbound too. Later I sailed slowly wing and wing for a bit in the dying breeze. Then motored steadily home under a bright moon. Specially sweet after weeks of rain.
Old 10-11-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I just covered Golfito, Costa Rica to Panama City Panama in 74 hours. First 2/3 was a lot of motor sailing , motoring, with a wee bit of good 6-8 knot sailing for short periods. Then I approached Punta Mala of Panama. Just reading the name tells you something. I was doing 7.8 knots under headsail alone. After rounding the Punta I took one of my 15 minute naps, single-handing. I woke to a great sensation of strength. The stregnth of the boat, and of the wind. I slowly came too, and stepped inside to see 11.+ knots on the GPS.

I looked back out over the sterns, and it was whitecapping like mad, and rollers coming at me. The boat felt like she was on rails, and doing what she was made for. Unfortunatey I have had recent damage to my clew. So I started rolling up the head sail a wee bit at a time. Finally it was rolled in, and I was still doing 6-7 knots. She started swinging her hips a wee bit to port then strbrd, and back again. I rolled out maybe six foot of the headsail, and she picked up a wee bit of speed, but steadied herself.

It's good to be back on the boat again, and doing it single-handed makes it all the sweeter. Sunday night I dropped the hook off of Las Brisas near Panama City, and slept like a rock!.........i2f
Faster, smackdaddy and cb32863 like this.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Nothing as worthy as I2f's run but I had a great stretch the end of Sept first of Oct weekend..... Posted some stuff in my blog.. standard babel of a small lake sailor complete with pics and vids.... Today wasn't all bad either.....

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 10-11-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Not today, but yesterday....

We were on a club rendezvous to a nearby marina for our Thanksgiving weekend.. Saturday was OK, light SE wind so the spinnaker came out for an on again/off again light air run and reach for the 18 mile trip. Patches of sun briefly but mostly dry with cloud. The forecast for the return trip Monday was 20-30 knots SE (headwind this time) and heavy rain... oh well....

Sunday was amazing, sunny, warm (shorts and T shirt) beachcombing with our kids and granddaughter, crowned by a fabulous pot-luck turkey dinner with the club.

Sure enough the rain and wind arrived overnight, though the forecast was downgraded to 20-25, peaking around noon and easing in the evening. We cast off just after 9 am and rode across and nice 15-18knot outflow wind out of Howe Sound, giving us a fast close reach straight towards home.. 5 miles out that veered to the forecast SEly, started fairly gently but quickly got into the high teens with gusts over that.

FastForward settled into the beat (frankly our favourite point of sail) powered up with full main and lapper jib. Limited fetch kept the seas down, and we quickly passed a few boats that had left before us. An adverse tide slowed things down a tad but we were making steady 6.4-6.5 knots through the water close hauled on a long favoured tack. Near the bay we put in a few hitches and that's when the fire hose got turned on. A squall came through with breeze near 20, and pounding rain (visibility down to 1/4 mile for a while). We had 5 miles to go and the sailing was so good we just hunkered down (Mrs under the dodger, of course) and enjoyed it. Slid into our slip at 1330 feeling good about the whole weekend.

Didn't hurt that we managed to keep our son and his family on their boat at bay for the entire beat... though I will admit he had me looking over the stern a time or two!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-11-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I just covered Golfito, Costa Rica to Panama City Panama in 74 hours. First 2/3 was a lot of motor sailing , motoring, with a wee bit of good 6-8 knot sailing for short periods. Then I approached Punta Mala of Panama. Just reading the name tells you something. I was doing 7.8 knots under headsail alone. After rounding the Punta I took one of my 15 minute naps, single-handing. I woke to a great sensation of strength. The stregnth of the boat, and of the wind. I slowly came too, and stepped inside to see 11.+ knots on the GPS.

I looked back out over the sterns, and it was whitecapping like mad, and rollers coming at me. The boat felt like she was on rails, and doing what she was made for. Unfortunatey I have had recent damage to my clew. So I started rolling up the head sail a wee bit at a time. Finally it was rolled in, and I was still doing 6-7 knots. She started swinging her hips a wee bit to port then strbrd, and back again. I rolled out maybe six foot of the headsail, and she picked up a wee bit of speed, but steadied herself.

It's good to be back on the boat again, and doing it single-handed makes it all the sweeter. Sunday night I dropped the hook off of Las Brisas near Panama City, and slept like a rock!.........i2f
Okay - this is what it's all about! You made me smile i2. Wow.

You lucky bastard!!!!!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-11-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like a perfect Fast.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-11-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Shots fired

We had perfect conditions for a sail on Merrymeeting Bay last Saturday. It is very shallow and our Marshall catboat can make it way up the bay on a flooding tide. Timing is everything! We reached the upper part of the bay just as the tide started out and had a good breeze to push us back to the mouth of the Cathance River. Sometimes we hit sand bars with the cb if we push our time. We spotted a curious double raft of geese on our way back and had no choice but to sail directly at them. We realized it was a large set of decoys as we breezed past. Oops! Three hundred yards beyond the decoys we tacked into the river and the shooting started. We were not hit. Yikes!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 10-11-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-11-2011

ruosis is on a distinguished road
Nice topic. I enjoyed reading this!
Old 10-12-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Well Gentlemen,

The sail itself was great, but it was the fact that in Feb. I couldn't hold a pencil because of my health. I had crew join us in Panama in July, because of my health. He trashed the boat, and it's a long story, but it's in my blog that we had to turn back from Hawaii 700 miles off the coast of Costa Rica. Now I am left to my own devices, and made it smoothly. This time it was about being able to do it.........i2f
PaulinVictoria likes this.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!