Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Nice one i2f

As it happens, I had a great sail today, have had my parents over from the UK, have taken them out a few times on the boat and it's either been no wind, heavy rain or other similar unpleasant days. Anyway, they are going back home this weekend and today the weather was finally spot on. Left the harbour, pouring rain, 5 knot beat, sun came out, wind stayed interesting, basically ended up spending about 6 hours blasting about with my Dad, just fantastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2011

subnoize is on a distinguished road
Had a pretty fun sail today, right after work I checked windalert and saw a forecast for 15-20 knots, and a gap in the radar. So I went home and got the force 5, boat ramp was completely empty, gave me plenty of time to rig. Went out and started to hit 3-4 foot waves, then about an hour later, fogged rolled in and dropped visiblity to less than .3 nm, so I had to rely on my handheld gps to navigate back in.
Insanely easy to become disorientated when you can't see land and have no compass.
Old 10-17-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
What a nice day today
Out of Squamish harbor about noon into 5 to 10 knots from the south. Played around for a bit until the wind just dropped to zero for 40mins. Just enough time to warm up the last of the homemade turkey noodle soup and some sandwiches on fresh bread.( Man that was a good bird). As we cleared up the last of the dishes the wind picked up to 10 knots again and cruised on down to Brittania beach. A quick sail past the old mine and we swung around wing on wing all the way back to squamish.
A good day sailing with good food and good friends.
Old 10-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We sailed in Squamish for 23 years.... I miss those days now.

But still we had a decent light air sail in pleasant conditions (esp for mid October), sailing upwind in English Bay to the bellbuoy in 5-6 knots, and drifting/sailing back on the tide with the spinnaker up. Took new SN member SFU for the afternoon.. he may be buying sooner rather than later now!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
...Insanely easy to become disorientated when you can't see land and have no compass.
Probably would be a good idea to get a compass. Even if it's just a hiking compass with a neck lanyard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-12-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
At last, thought I was never gona post on this thread, piss poor year so far.
Just come in from a good morning on the water, wind just right around 3/4 Southerly and needed a cap to keep the sun out of the eyes. Everthing just right, even got the tack right to skim St Patricks Island before turning for home.
Glad I kept the sails up now.
Safe sailing
Old 11-12-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Very nice Cent!!! Dude, you have to take some pics! I'd love to see your part of the world.

As for our part, it's pretty sad right now. The lake is down almost 60 feet from normal (for some perspective, our slip is usually about 100 degrees to the right of this photo in about 30' of water back in the cove - water usually right near the tree-line):

Seriously sucks. It leaves very little room to maneuver. We're now literally sailing a river. Even so, we kept a stiff upper lip as we headed out into the 30 knot winds:

We flew a full main, but left the 150 down so as not to blow out another headsail:

The wife loved it, the kids had a blast, and I was actually pretty chilled out in 30 knots. Not even a BFS. It's amazing how this C27 will point even with just a main. This little boat rocks.

I did pull a bit of an embarrassing move coming back into the slip. Came in a bit hot (needed it with a 15 knot crosswind) and bonked the bow into the dock - despite cranking the little OB in reverse the last 10 feet. Not a bad smack, but I've been nailing it for so long, it sucked to feel like a newb again. Oh well, I guess you always screw up at some point. I'll just have to keep practicing!

Good times.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-12-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2011

HeyPorter is on a distinguished road
Great sail on the Columbia yesterday. Sailflow was calling for 13+ knots, but when we got out there it was pretty calm. Enough to get up the river, but sloowwwwwly. Wind picked up, though, and we sailed for a couple of hours in winds around 13.

The sun has gone away here in Portland, which means the sailors have too, so the river was pretty empty. I started sailing consistently in October of last year, so cold, rainy sailing is all I knew for six months. I'm excited to sail in the stronger southerlies again, not to mention not having to worry about whether any club boats are available!
Old 11-14-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Seal Harbor, Maine, 53 degrees, sunny, SSW / S wind at 10 to 15, #2 up and headed out of Eastern Way on November 13, 2011! Global Warming? I could become a fan of that! It was a Beautiful day! Amazing for this time of year. We were the last sailboat on a mooring here and there were no other sails visible yesterday. We missed their company. Lobster pots were still plentiful.

Jeanie had the helm from starting the A-4 before we cast off to shutting it down when we tied up to remove the sails in Northeast Harbor at sunset. She sailed Tundra Down off the mooring and I trimmed. It was a spectacular day out. The Avon surfed on our stern wave. All systems passed their end of season check. We ran the engine to burn some gas that has been sitting in the tank all season. The #2 had to be eased a few times when the wind picked up to 20+ as we sailed between islands. The traveler was eased a bit too.

Bob Perry designed a very easy boat. The Islander 28 is the most comfortable boat I have ever handled. Jibing in 15+ knots of wind with a #2 jib is a simple and precise maneuver. The boat just does what you want and expect it to do.

There were a few low clouds that looked like fog patches between the mountains of Mount Desert Island. It was a spectacular way to end the season. Can't wait for 2012 launch!

Down
Old 11-14-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
You have have a great day sailing even if you're racing, right?

Yesterday's race was a downwind start, with a very short downwind leg in 15kts, gusting to 20kts.

We flubbed our spinnaker launch, so I aborted and told them to put it all away. A few minutes later, we rounded the first mark, and came up on a beam reach, maybe a little harder.

We were treated to the spectacle of our competitors blowing out their spinnakers, multiple round-ups, shrimping their spinnakers and all kinds of carnage as they hoped to carry their chutes on a tight reach. We walked right up into the middle of them as they disentangled themselves.

The day was sunny with a high of 62F or so, and I made hot buttered rum drinks in the galley once we returned to the dock.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.