Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
You have have a great day sailing even if you're racing, right?
Hell yes!

That's what I love about SN...it's just all about sailing - any kind of sailing. Oh yeah, and rum. It's all good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Very nice Cent!!! Dude, you have to take some pics! I'd love to see your part of the world.
As for our part, it's pretty sad right now. The lake is down almost 60 feet from normal (for some perspective, our slip is usually about 100 degrees to the right of this photo in about 30' of water back in the cove - water usually right near the tree-line):

Damn Smack, that looks bad. Maybe a wet and windy Ireland ain,t so bad after all. Hope you get some rain soon. I,m working on the pics but my phone camera make everthing look so far away its hardly worth posting.
Safe sailing

Last edited by Faster; 03-26-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 03-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Family Affair..

We were blessed with a near perfect early spring weekend.. sunshine, temps into the teens, and a really nice breeze both days, 15- 18knots. It was the opening event of our club's calendar - a pleasant daysail to Bowen Island, a rented cottage for appies, drinks and dinner.. a great breakfast the next day before sailing home in brilliant conditions again.

Our son and his family on their Catalina 36 had decided to join us.. that made it even a better weekend.

Here they are following in our footsteps... er - I mean wake....

Sailing home the next day in a dying outflow that turned into a solid Northwesterly by the time we got into the bay..

Spring sailing in BC.. looking north to Howe Sound's snow capped peaks.

Not without incident, however.. when we reached our harbour mouth and spun around to drop sails, I noticed our engine temp climbing rapidly.. found a ruptured rubber seal and all our coolant in the bilge... RATS....
Fortunately the kids were nearby (they moor in the same marina) and they helped us into our slip, dug out a spare and had things back together and running before heading home yesterday.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-26-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: I had a great sail today.

Dang it, No pics yet from saturdays 3 race regatta on Lk Washington, daughter tooks some pics of the one race sunday and some coming home. BUT, she took the mem card........Do have some of the trip to the lake friday.........may have to find the pic of cptn jack sparrow getting chased by a sea serpent!

got 2 3rd,s then 2 2nds boat for boat, and 2 2nds and 1st on handicap. Beat a boat that was rated a minute a mile faster on one of the races! Unfortunetly sat, a 9 sec a mile slower boat beat me three times boat for boat, but got him on sunday! hence the 1st on handicap, got the faster boat sunday on handicap, but he got my by 7 minutes of actual time over 2 hours....but I still beat him by over a minute and got the the first two marks ahead of him.

marty
Old 03-27-2012

Lake Washington Sailboat Racing: March 2012

Pics from last weekend....

Not sure who the idjiot was that is port tacking the start in pic 17 group 5, and pics 22-29 in group 7.........what an idjiot!

Marty
Old 03-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice shots Marty.. see you've got an old Martin 29 in the fleet. Love the look of the J44.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 03-27-2012

That Martin was looking a bit better than last I saw it raced three or so years ago. It was red with a black stripe in the middle. The owner(at the time) went on a peace corps trip for two yrs, sold it, never got ALL of his money, came back, found it on the auction block, bought it back for $100. Not sure if he repainted it black, or if the previous owner had. Looked like she had some newer sails......pretty quick saturday. I was missing my 155 saturday, put it on sunday and beat it boat for boat. It seems rated slower than she is by 10-15 secs a mile IMHO. The owner does/did sailing class's, so could be the more expert vs the still learning. Saturday it was only my son and I, so tacks were a bit slow. but still had fun.

Marty
Old 03-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Faster, it was the perfect (and much needed) spring weekend wasn't it?

I was out crewing on a new (to me) boat in the Smith Island race. This race circumnavigates the island in the middle of the eastern Straits of Juan De Fuca. The straits can be unpredictable this time of year and I was hoping for a blow. We got 0-15kts all day with sun and warmth and I wasn't complaining about that.

What made the sail especially great was that I was sailing with giants. The boat is a custom designed 40 footer. The owner had Bob Perry design the boat for him and the owner built it himself. She's an unassuming boat but AWESOME, stout and seaworthy beyond she is 24,000lbs double headsail, double spreader sloop, 8ft draft with a skeg rudder and modified fin. Her owner, as it turns out, has done more sailing than most of the authors of books on my shelf. He is the real deal.

For starters he looks to be about 57 years old (since I work in medicine and everybody's birthdays are printed on the chart, I have some experience guessing people's ages) but he is actually 87 years old! I think he is proof that days spent sailing are not subtracted from your life. He has rounded the horn, singlhanded the pacific (a dozen times) done 20something Vic-mauis, circumnavigated South America, pitchpoled the boat and ripped the cabin off, topped out her speed over the water at 19.4knots in a 40kt blow, been at sea through 3 hurricanes with her etc etc etc.... He didn't say much but the rest of the crew did the bragging for him.

As for the race, there were a few amatures about that would screw up simple winch-work on tacks, but that didn't seem to bother anyone. It was a pretty low-key crew. Somehow though, with minimal fuss, we just WALKED AWAY from the fleet. I couldn't quite figure out exactly what we were doing so right but we even crossed the line before the 31ft trimaran! Our esteemed captain spent a lot of time down below at the nav table after the start and that was different than most boats on other races. Still, I can't quite figure exactly what we were doing so well. I think I have much to learn from crewing on that boat.

After the wind lessened we were alternating between 2 light air spinnakers and a drifer a few times the race was over and the day was finished off with hot rum and honey.

What a great day!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Was that Night Runner, Med?

Old 03-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Was that Night Runner, Med?
How did you know? You know her, and/or do you know Doug? Actually Knight Runner lives in the slip next to Fairhaven.

There really was something special about that boat. She powered up to 8kts over the water with the 150 so gracefully, without any sound, without any fuss, rail close, but not in the water. The layout down below is awesome too. Bob Perry really out-did himself that time.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.