Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: I had a great sail today.

Sounds like a good weekend of sailing/racing. The last of the Center Sound races from Shilshoal to Three tree point and back was a hoot from posts on SA. One boat grounded near the mark, mast knocked down, halyard or two blown out. Great pix by Jans Photography here A little windier on the sound than lake washington by 10 or so knots. Glad it was not quite that windy on the lake with just my son and I.

Marty
Old 04-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Easter weekend was fabulous on the West coast. Sunshine, lacking wind to start but filling in nicely Sat/Sun.

While our plans didn't exactly follow the intentions we had a great time. We've been having some intermittent injector problems, and they cropped up an hour into our trip on glassy water, so we decided to turn back with little prospect of any breeze that day. At the dock I changed filters, found a section of dodgy fuel hose (post-filter) and we set out again mid afternoon.

Still no wind, not confident yet in the solution we headed for a shorter trip to Keats Island where friends have a cabin and dock. We got lucky, they were there and we tied up to the dock, and were invited to a woodstove Turkey dinner - bonus! In the end we stayed the Saturday and helped them do some spring yard work.. had a good day there.

With a poor forecast for Monday we sailed home yesterday, beating briefly out Shoal channel and set the spinnaker at Popham Island.. the breeze filled in nicely and soon we were running at 7 - 8 knots with the kite up, no seas to speak of.. perfect.

To add to it all we were joined by a couple of Dall's Porpoises who played with us for several miles. Very difficult to get good pictures, but these are kind of 'arty' if nothing else.. The rusty looking colour is the reflection of our orange spinnaker.

And most amazing is my wife, a nervous downwind sailor, was hanging over the bow with a camera and grinning ear to ear as we were sliding down the waves tickling 8 knots half the time!

All in all a great day!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

While the drama queens were pulling hair, slapping each other, and sloshing around their running mascara...we went sailing.

A good friend of ours has some family in Corpus Christi and invited us down for the weekend. She wasn't sure what kind of boat they had - but assured us her uncle was a pretty good sailor.

Actually, it was a damn fine boat...a 2006 Beneteau 343 just off the back deck of his freakin' house:

And he was a damn fine sailor...who had raced in the TORC series in the '70's on every boat you can imagine. And had raced his previous boat, a Catalina 30, for over 20 years thereafter, picking up plenty of pickle dishes which he graciously showed me. He was also a diver, and had a bottom cleaning service up until a year or two ago. The dude definitely deserved a much-envied BFS hat and a beer:

David and our friend's cousin.

The sailing was actually pretty good both days. It was blowing steady 15-22, spurred on by some nice thunderstorms in the area:

And David taught us all a lot about handling the boat:

Our friend at the helm.

I did most of the driving - which was fine by me. We had to sail in the ICW a couple of hours to get out into the bay. I learned I'm not a big fan of the ICW. Way too much of a hassle. That's not sailing.

But we finally got out into the bay and opened her up in 20 knots. She was seriously tender due to her shoal keel. And dropping the centerboard helped - but not all that much on the tenderness side. Give me a deep keel any day. I'll just anchor farther out and throw empties at the shoalers.

She had a loose-footed in-mast furling main. I liked the loose-foot, but the in-mast furling is not for me. Way too hard to fine-tune the sail (at least this one). Of course, this boat was about convenience, not racing, so no big deal. However, the worm gear in the mast had already started deteriorating (edges breaking off the tracks) after only 5 years of sailing. I kind of expected more from Beneteau in the quality department - especially on such a critical system. Also, we had to be careful to manage the main while furling it. It was really easy to get it in a bind.

I guess what was weird about it all was that you had all this stuff to make it easier to sail, then you had the damn centerboard that you had to crank 50-80 times (one way) to avoid sliding across the water in a fresh breeze. That was a lot of work for little reward.

Yet, the twin rudders on this 343 did make it seriously stable on a hard beat. Very, very little tendency to round up. That I liked. Our boys even did some steering - which they loved. But they had a problem going from the tiller to the wheel - as did the wife. Always interesting to see sailor's dyslexia.

All in all, I learned I need a more performance oriented boat. I'm still a Beneteau fan - but I think I'll opt for the First series when the day comes.

This, my friends, is what it's all about.

Now - back to your regularly-scheduled mascara....
CalebD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

4th grader First Time Sailing

smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

That is awesome WD!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-16-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes the best day sailing is when you stay home. Saturday night I was really looking forward the the race on our lake. I got home from work thinking I would change and take the wife and we would go race. Instead I found her with several bags and soil and mulch toiling in the landscape around our pool. I said "I guess you don't want to go racing tonight". Her reply "I will if you want to" let me know real quick that she really meant "if you want any boom-boom you better get your ass to work speading that mulch"...so I did. Just about the time the race started at 7pm, we were finishing up and having a beer. I was smiling to myself about how nice the beds looked...and the boom-boom thing, when she mentioned a very ominous cloud rising up over the house across the street. I thought about all my friends out on the lake (we live only 600 feet from the shoreline) and hoped they would be ok. Within 10 minutes the wind was howling. the storm lasted about 15 minutes and things calmed down to just a nice summer rain shower. During those brief minutes, all hell broke loose on the fleet. No boats were lost but many ended up with things stretched, sprung, bent and broken. My buddy called me and said during the peak of the storm the wind was blowing 35 and gusting to 50mph. He sails an Eleven Metre One Design and does not carry a motor so he just kept sailing for control. He told me at one point he was surfing under main and jib and hit 20 kts. I've been on his boat under spinnaker and seen 20kts, but never would have believed under main and jib alone. All's well that ends well. We'll go for it again Wednesday. Oh...and the boom-boom ;-)
Old 04-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Got out this afternoon after work, to try out a new headsail. Gorgeous day as you can see... pretty happy with the sail too, so far!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-11-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for reviving this thread Faster. Once my boat is out of the yard I hope to be posting to it soon!

What's with the reef? Are ya scared?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-12-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Thanks for reviving this thread Faster. Once my boat is out of the yard I hope to be posting to it soon!

What's with the reef? Are ya scared?

MedSailor
Don't let the flat water fool you, It was fairly windy today! Nothing like what we had yesterday, but still breezy! ( I was working on the roof of one of those buildings WISHING I was out there sailing!)
Hull#101
Old 04-12-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

15 days 'til splash here. Though I am sure I won't be able to offer any Orca-off-my bow photos. Maybe a big fat Canada Goose?