Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: I had a great sail today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Don't let the flat water fool you, It was fairly windy today! Nothing like what we had yesterday, but still breezy! ( I was working on the roof of one of those buildings WISHING I was out there sailing!)
You're right about that! Windy around here too, but as you say not as much as earlier in the week. I went to check out my boat in the yard and make sure it was blocked well enough!

MedSailor

PS Teasing aside, I was wondering if it was a flattening reef. Looks like a little too much sail in the bunt to be a flattening reef, but perhaps only enough to be a shallow reef??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
PS Teasing aside, I was wondering if it was a flattening reef. Looks like a little too much sail in the bunt to be a flattening reef, but perhaps only enough to be a shallow reef??
We have a rather large main relative to the sailplan and the reefs are not shallow. The first reef was in, but I guess the bulk of bunt was on the other side of the main.

I didn't need the reef after the first half hour, but was alone, feeling lazy - just enjoyed the day, and played a bit with the new jib.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Blowin 15-20 at the start of a race today, got into the 20-25, back to 15-20, then down to 10-15 for a bit, got rid of 110, about 30 min later, 20-25 for 10-15min, then down, back up........got around the rock, one other boat grounded........got our spin up, tack line sheave broke......got spin down, got the 140 up, doing 7-8.9 knots in a 6.6ksb wing on wing......finished under a 140, just before final mile and turn was in the low 20's, finishe in low to mid teen winds.....got the SMOKE held handicap in division........great day!

Marty
Faster likes this.
Old 04-14-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I may have just figured out how to post pictures. Hmm. Unfortunately I'm upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
I had a great sail today.-image.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Not upside down I hope. Sailed to whidbey an back. Good wind this week if not gusting 35 knots all night. That's when I try to convince someone else to take their boat out but I haven't had much success yet

Hmm now it's sideways. Well just turn you phone or your head an it should look all right. Ill type a thousand words next time to spare you my strange attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
I had a great sail today.-image.jpg  

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 04-14-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I may have just figured out how to post pictures. Hmm. Unfortunately I'm upside down.
It's all good. I'm planning on sailing back to Australia too.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Blowin 15-20 at the start of a race today, got into the 20-25, back to 15-20, then down to 10-15 for a bit, got rid of 110, about 30 min later, 20-25 for 10-15min, then down, back up........got around the rock, one other boat grounded........got our spin up, tack line sheave broke......got spin down, got the 140 up, doing 7-8.9 knots in a 6.6ksb wing on wing......finished under a 140, just before final mile and turn was in the low 20's, finishe in low to mid teen winds.....got the SMOKE held handicap in division........great day!

Marty
This is exactly what I love about sailing. One man's "nice sail" is another man's "hysterical BFS". Nicely done Bluto.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

We are absolutely loving our yacht! We took some friends out on the bay on Saturday in perfect conditions...sunny, 10-15...just awesome. They are now hopelessly hooked.

The boys on the foredeck...

Helming the inimitable Dawn Treader toward adventure:

On the way out the channel into the bay, we had a serious brush with BFS fame. I look over to port and see a JBoat about 60' away with the name "Shearwater" on her transom. I recognized the name - but thought "no freakin' way". As she raised her gold sail, I knew it was these guys:

Shearwater | sailing + frugality, conservation and adventure

And they definitely know how to BFS:

I left them a comment on their thread. I really wish I'd gotten to talk with them a bit. They are the epitome of Big Freakin' Sailors.

It was also a great day in that this was the first time our friends had sailed...and they got the full treatment. Before leaving the dock I walked them through the basics, including what to do in a COB situation, etc. As it turned out, one of the kids had left the boat hook on the side deck and I hadn't noticed it until we were right in the middle of a tack. The sheet tightened as I was moving forward to try to grab the hook and catapulted it over the lifelines...of course.

Ginger kept her eye on it as we readied the boat to go back around. By the time we tacked we were about 150 yards past the floating hook. I had Steven go below and grab the fishing gaff and be ready on the foredeck. I sailed back below the hook then turned through the wind and hove to about 8' above it, hoping we'd drift right down onto it. We were just out of range for him to grab it. We gybed back around, sailed back up wind, gybed again and headed back toward it, sheeting everything in tight. We slowly drifted down toward the hook bringing it right along-side where he easily pulled it back aboard. Perfect.

All in all, it took us maybe 10 minutes. It would have been less had we had a hook that was able to swim for that first pass. Lazy freakin' hook.

THEN, we actually encountered another semi-emergency. Some dude had taken a tumble on a Hobie 16 and was too tired to right it.

The other boat in the pic was assisting, but we came in close and hove-to to stand by. It was obvious the guy was new to the boat...but I could totally feel his pain in that regard remembering my own Fiasco.

The other boat alerted the CG (which I personally thought was a bit unnecessary at this point), then threw him a line. He secured it to his righting line they pulled the cat back up and he struggled back aboard. Everything squared away, we headed back to our beautiful day.

We did see this ketch(?) that was flying a sail between the masts that I'd never seen before. What is that thing called? Is it just an extra sail for a ketch - or is this not a ketch?

My docking was still a little sloppy. We pretty much always have a cross-wind which makes it hard squeezing her into her very tight slip. But we got her in with no crunching, yelling, or cussing. I do need to work on my decision-making skills though. We come in stern-first and since we have new crew, everyone was still on the foredeck. I was coming in just a tad hot and knew they wouldn't have time to make it back and fend the transom off the dock. So I made sure the boat was in neutral and scrambled to put a foot out and keep us off. Not in time as the swim ladder eased into the dock. Then I remembered...I HAD A FREAKIN' ENGINE! I'm just so used to having that really weak outboard on the C-27 that I'm so in the habit of handing the boat in instead of relying on the engine. I need to get over that habit. It's a bad one on such a big boat. Live and learn.

We did have a spot of trouble, however. After we docked there was the strong smell of diesel below. I checked the main bilge, and sure enough there was about a gallon of the stuff in there. I'll approach the Sailnet Gearhead Illuminati on that one.

But apart from that, it was absolutely perfect. THIS IS LIVING BABY!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2013

glassdad is on a distinguished road

Do not try to stop the boat by putting a foot out! Your boat weighs 20,000 pounds plus. It will really mess up your foot, ankle leg... We have all acted without thinking but that is REALLY dangerous. The cost of a new stern ladder is nothing compared to the cost of a new foot.

Take care.
abrahamx and smackdaddy like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to glassdad For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
Do not try to stop the boat by putting a foot out! Your boat weighs 20,000 pounds plus. It will really mess up your foot, ankle leg... We have all acted without thinking but that is REALLY dangerous. The cost of a new stern ladder is nothing compared to the cost of a new foot.

Take care.
You're absolutely right. I've drilled it into the boys' heads to never get themselves between the boat and a hard bit. Then I do it. Next time I'll drop a couple of fenders onto the transom - and actually use the engine like I should have in the first place.