I had a great sail today. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 210 Old 06-06-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Dock
You guys are right. Sailing with your kids...really sailing with them...teaching them... watching them pick it up...it's as good as it gets.

I know it will go too fast. it already is. I'm trying really, really hard to let each moment soak in and not let it just slip by.

I really envy CD. He and his wife are doing what should be done. The closeness they are building is better than any pot of gold out there.

Now that I'm getting a little misty...somebody please tell me to HTHU and get to FC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 210 Old 06-06-2010
On the hard

Nah, ya need times like this to be a fully rounded sailor...

Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration
The Landing at Colony Wharf
Bellingham, WA.

post #13 of 210 Old 06-07-2010

My two guys are now 20 and 19 and we still sail together now that they are home from college for the summer…just that they always have friends along.
Still, it’s all good especially when each is asking for some helm time even if it is only to impress their girl friends.
What really was a treat however was watching each of them pick up windsurfing…they really did learn some thing from their sails with old dad.
It’s hotter than Hades here in Texas right now so we’ve taken to evening/night sailing…nothing better than dinner on the boat and a trip round the lake under the stars. Even mom likes it.

'79 San Juan 7.7
Joe Pool Lake
DFW area TX
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
post #14 of 210 Old 06-09-2010

Had one this past weekend. It was our first sail in our new to us boat after 9 months of fixing, re wiring, re rigging, varnishing, and worrying. The wife and I just completed ASA 101 and 103 1 month to the day.

My wife and daughter were excited and I was nervous. The weather was perfect, Grand Traverse Bay, mid 70's with a nice 7-9 mile an hour wind. We motored for a bit, to get a feel for the boat and how she handled, took turns doing figure eights and seeing how long it takes to stop. Feeling more comfortable we raised the main and turned off the motor. My wife skippered the whole day while I did what ever she said. After about an hour of tooling around trying different points of sail and tacking and gibing we settled into a nice reach and relaxed.

My moment was looking at my wife with a happy smile, enjoying the day and seeing my 7 year old daughter sprawled out on a cockpit bench tapping here feet to the Jimmy Buffet she requested while telling her mom how this has got to be the best day ever. In that moment I knew all the work, worry and struggle to get a boat, fix it up and get out on it was worth every bit of it.

We were having so much fun we didn't want to quit so we got a transient slip, took the kid to her sleepover, and the wife and I had a quiet dinner and a great bottle of wine on our new boat. Got up the next morning and sailed some more. The second great part, wife asked when can we do that again.

Thanks sailnet for all the motivation to do this.
post #15 of 210 Old 06-09-2010
On the hard

Sweet....

Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration
The Landing at Colony Wharf
Bellingham, WA.

post #16 of 210 Old 06-10-2010

Yeah,
Had a great sail today. Took the wifey and BIL (for the first time) and sister out on the boat. Had some good breeze and was a Very active day for Hefner. Blazed to the other side or the lake and back while circumventing the races for the evening. Too bad I ran past most of the craft out there.
Now only if i could get the wifey to get out on the rail...
post #17 of 210 Old 06-28-2010 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Dock
Another great weekend. Steady 10 knots yesterday. Didn't race, but anchored and swam and fished with the wife and kids - and some friends.

Livin' is good on a sailboat.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #18 of 210 Old 06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wman View Post

My wife and daughter were excited and I was nervous. The weather was perfect, Grand Traverse Bay, mid 70's with a nice 7-9 mile an hour wind.
Very nice! Way back when, a couple of families for a total of about 9 would pile into our Rhodes 19 and sail out to Marion Island (what's this 'Power Island' stuff all about?) for a weekend camping trip. Years later I still think they were some of the best sailing adventures ever had! GT Bay, both west and east are great places for day sailing and short overnight trips!
post #19 of 210 Old 06-28-2010

Just spent three days in a row sailing in the Dominican republic on a little Hobie Wave. Got soaking wet, chased down some 50 foot "pleasure cruise" boats and had a great time with my wife and each of my sons. Nice vacation.

'79 San Juan 7.7
Joe Pool Lake
DFW area TX
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
post #20 of 210 Old 06-28-2010
Lake Sailor

Had no wind on Saturday but Sunday was great. Was blowing about 8-10 and we were able to get on a good course and just cruise the lake. Both out and back in. My daughter thought it was very awesome, got a thumbs up and a "heck yeah!" when I asked her if she was having fun. The boy crewed quite nicely for me on those few occasions when we tacked. We were sailing the club's Pearson 26, performed quite nicely. Hoping the next time is just as good.

Umquam Porro

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.