Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road
Re: I had a great sail today.

Smackdaddy - thanks for sharing your day out with your boys, and the pics. Glad you all had fun and some adventure, too. Congrats on saving your boat hook and doing the COB maneuvers. Good practice!

Also, thanks for the video from Shearwater - wow, what a ride! He kept that boat steady. Looked like tons of fun. Tiring, but fun!
Old 09-03-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Had a great weekend trip down the coast to Half Moon Bay from San Francisco (Alameda). Lots of fog on Saturday morning, but a good opportunity to practice with the radar. Rendezvoused with a buddy boat and we matched raced all the way to HMB. Most of the day, the wind was out of the WSW so we beam reached a lot but the wind finally clocked and we were able to fly the spinnaker for the last couple of hours. On Sunday, toured the town, walked over to Mavericks, and then attended a great party at HMBYC that evening. We had 300’ visibility in heavy fog on Monday morning, even needing the radar to find the opening in the breakwater. Did have lots of fun tracking the fishing fleet using the MARPA function. We motored under that fog most of the way up the coast but the wind built enough for us to sail as we approached San Francisco. The fog finally dissipated at the GG Bridge into glorious sunshine and we were greeted by the New Zealand-Emirates challenger coming at us, foiling at great speed all the while going up wind. If getting potentially run over by an AC 72 isn’t enough, they are accompanied by a retinue of crash boats, guard boats, support boats and even a helicopter. If you think the current crop of AC boats are boring, stare down one in a crossing situation sometime. We were also treated to a Red Bull youth America’s Cup race just getting under way. We tacked back and forth in the vicinity of the leeward mark to catch the action. There is a quantum difference in the relative size and speeds of the AC 45’s and 72’s. After the race, we turned towards home and launched the kite off the city front and proceeded at a nice 6-7 kt pace. Then, when out of nowhere, one of the Australian 45’s zoomed up from behind and blew by us, while flying his kite and in full racing mode. He passed us at about only 25 to 30 feet off our beam as if to say, “welcome to the future, old man!”
smackdaddy and rhr1956 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
Smackdaddy - thanks for sharing your day out with your boys, and the pics. Glad you all had fun and some adventure, too. Congrats on saving your boat hook and doing the COB maneuvers. Good practice!

Also, thanks for the video from Shearwater - wow, what a ride! He kept that boat steady. Looked like tons of fun. Tiring, but fun!
Yeah - that Shearwater ride was definitely a BFS. Ours was just a nice leisurely sail. Glad you enjoyed it mag.

Much more to come!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

My wife had a perfect sailing day LOL. Small trip, between Poros and Aegina (15K) against the wind with dolphins and all.

Flat sea (fishermen in Portugal call it Ladies' sea) with about 5k true wind or less. With flat sea we where making at 34/37º of the wind between 4.0 and 6.2k with an apparent wind between 6.0 and 8.5K.

I guess that what is a perfect sailing day is not the same for all. Sailing like this is OK for me and clearly beats motoring but I use the time to clean the boat or read...easy sailing on autopilot.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 09-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes you just gotta love Friday afternoons!

We managed to get out after work, and lucked into an unusual SW breeze that put us on the rhumb line close reaching for Gibsons Landing. Sunny and warm, the breeze later died but returned as a light SE for an easy relaxing run/reach for what daylight remained.

Morning dawned very misty, and it stayed that way all day and into this morning. Some morning views of Plumper Cove..

These cuddly guys were exposed at the morning low tide.

We headed out in heavy fog, visibility about .5 NM, and managed again to get a good, if dampish sail on a lopsided beat in 15 knots SE, which turned into a northerly wind along with some rumblings of thunder not too far away. This kind of fog is rather unusual for us..

This was forecast to be warm and sunny, but sometimes, you know, they just don't get it right.. fine weekend anyhow, but summer seems coming to an end.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-16-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

So we left our marina, heading to our friends’ marina in Penetanguishene. They were having their end-of-season party.

Shortly after we cleared the channel our other friends in Cormarant passed the entrance markers and hoisted their sails.

There was a regatta going on in the middle of the bay between where we were and where we wanted to go. The wind, as usual, was on our nose and when it was blowing it was swirling around.

We made the decision to sail around the race. This would give us a reasonable reach and put us further off-shore which usually means less arbitrary wind. I noticed that our friends were scooting along the western side of the race. They seemed to be heading towards a point of land that would necessitate them tacking into the race course.

I privately scoffed their decision, thinking that once I got around the committee boat I could turn up onto a nice close reach and make good way towards the outer harbour.

To my dismay I watched as my friend was able to maintain his tack, hugging the shore and skirting the race. As Cormarant was making good speed and direction, Sea Dragon was left wallowing in the middle of the Bay.

By the time the wind became favourable Cormarant was over a mile ahead and setting herself up for a tack onto a reach towards Penetanguishene.

Although it appeared as though we were way behind the eight ball, I made the decision to see what I could do to at least close the gap between the boats. Rather than follow Cormarant’s route, I set about sailing a saw-tooth pattern with long favourable tacks and shorter unfavourable ones. This made for a bit more work for my crew – but seeing as she has been explaining that this was a better strategy for years: I thought I owed it to her to try it out.

It wasn’t clear if we were making ground until Cormarant missed rounding Sucker Creek Point and had to tack away out into the Bay. We barely made the point and were able to reach out towards Whisky Island and take a decisive lead and ultimate victory – even though at no point did Cormarant and Sea Dragon claim to be racing.

I was pretty chuffed as Cormarant has a much more experienced and skilled skipper and crew, plus she has 4 or 5 feet of waterline in her favour.

We arrived at Bay Moorings and participated in their party – had a great time.

Captain 'High' Liner:

The next day, on our return trip, Cormarant gave me a lesson in light air sailing and handed me my hat.

Great fun, great friends, great weekend.
smackdaddy likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 09-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Yes, but did you wave at anyone?

Old 10-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Man that sounds awesome Paulo! I'd LOVE to sail that part of the world. Maybe one day. Post some pics or video if you get a chance.

Vela feliz meu amigo!
OK, I have one:

bigdogandy and Fau like this.

Old 11-10-2013
Last Man Standing

Had a lovely LFS yesterday - with a couple of interesting moments. My in-laws wanted to try out this sailing thing that we've been blathering about for years. So it was my mother/father-in-law, her brother and his wife, and me and the boys. The weather was absolutely perfect...10-15 knots and 73 degrees.

After I ran everyone through the boat usage and safety schpiel, we headed out. It was a lumpy ride out of the channel and into the bay - with big mobos coming in and out. But everything went smoothly. We raised full sail and took off on a nice beam reach at 6-7 knots. It was perfect.

After a couple of hours and tacks up and down the bay - the MIL started feeling queasy. The wind had picked up to a solid 15+ so the seas were getting a bit "bigger" (NOTHING like the 10'-12'ers we'd just dealt with on our recent off-shore). We tacked back toward the channel to call it a day.

As we headed back, on starboard tack - I saw a large 40+', geared up, cruising sloop (I think it was a Passport 41 - which meshes with the boat's name), with full sail flying, heading perpendicular to us on port tack toward the shore. Because I was walking everyone through the "rules of the road" - I explained the situation...and waited for the guy to bear off. And I waited. And waited. He wasn't budging - and was moving steady at about 5-6 knots. It was getting close. Too close.

I yelled "starboard" and had to make a quick decision. A quick gybe would have put me to windward of him with no speed. And any drastic move by me would have possibly thrown him into an equally drastic move the wrong way. Having been on the start line a few times in races, I've grown pretty comfortable with close passes. I could tell we were JUST ahead of him in terms of speed and angle. So I gritted my teeth and stood-to. It got very quiet in the cockpit.

Sure enough, my stern cleared his bow by maybe 40'. And as he passed, I was a bit shocked to see that there was NO ONE AT THE HELM - OR EVEN IN THE COCKPIT!!!! This boat was ghost-sailing, with full sail, through a crowded area completely on its own!

Thinking the worst (MOB, disabled down below, etc.) I took note of the boat's name and tried several times to hail it. No response. I tacked back around and followed - sending BigSmack down below for the binocs. We saw no one. Just the boat sailing itself to the shore. I called several more times. No response. I was just about to call Securite and alert the CG (working on the wording in my head) when...

...still on the binocs, BigSmack saw a person come up into the cockpit and move to the side deck. What the hell????!!!!! Who does that???

We tacked back around and headed for the channel - just as my poor MIL started hurling into a ziplock.

My stern-in docking sucked worse than usual on this trip, but with some help from a crazy dude on the docks, we got her in with only minimal bumping and grinding. Of course, then I had to pay for that help by listening to 30 minutes of government conspiracy theory. It was like I was trapped in PRWGatory. Heh.

A great weekend for sure!
Faster likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Probably still should have called the CG since there was a close call, no response on the radio and still no reaction after coming up. At least all was well in the end but I would be pissed at that.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell