Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Smack

When my 27 year old son was 5 or 6 his role aboard "Sea Mouse", our Rhodes 22, was to push the tiller across on each tack. With both hands, he would push it ahead of him while walking across the lazerett hatch. Those were priceless sails. BFS for sure! "Ready about!..... Hard a Lee!" were words he very quickly learned to anticipate. He will be cruising the Maine coast with us this coming season. Lucky me! Ha!

Down
Down - I'm going to have to use "Sea Mouse" on the Smacktanic. That's great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Smack,

I am flattered!

I named my first "big" boat (a 12' aluminum skiff) "Sea Mouse" when I was 12 years old. It has graced the transoms of a couple since. It got me and my 12 footer locked through the Troy, NY federal lock by ourselves one night. I tied up to the approach dock, walked up to the lock keeper's office and told him the Sea Mouse wanted to lock through. We were headed to lake Champlain. The lock was already empty. He didn't say a thing; just opened the lock doors. I got lifted into the Champlain Canal all by myself that August evening. I have wondered if the name triggered his reflex to open the lock doors without asking any questions. He did exclaim when he saw what entered. I slept in some farmers barn along the Champlain Canal that night. Ha!

Down
Old 01-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Great time today on the lake. Winds a steady 12 with gusts to 20, 58 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Really nice.

I love NYD sails!

Old 01-01-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
What a way to start a new year. Glad to hear you got out to smackdaddy

Last edited by Faster; 01-02-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fixed image
Old 01-01-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdawg View Post

Sailing 2011 pictures by dwheatley - Photobucket
Holy crap dude! Fantastic scenery! You sail in a gorgeous area.

Great job on the vid. And you're right...no better way to start the year.

Happy New Year dawg.

Old 01-02-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
All of you four season sailors probably take your boats for granted, and you don't even realize it. Up here, where the season runs from early April to late October (if we're lucky... I'm still waiting for someone to show me the downside of global warming),I want to log as many miles during the season as possible- every day counts, and the clock never stops ticking. The deadline is halloween- on 10/31, the marina is CLOSED- boats are out, gate is locked, seeya, sayonara-bye-bye. usually, most boats are hauled long before then. Only real die-hards or procrastinators stay hull-wet past October 15th, since that is when the ex-wife weather starts- cold, miserable and unkind to man. This year, we had an extraordinary October- warm, sunny days with decent wind. if October is described as the shoulder season, this year had shoulders like the Packers defense in a good year, and we took full advantage of it. here's the story of the last sail of the season.
This year saw a new addition to the loose membership of the Dock Six Sailing Club and Rum Drinking Society. Gavin and Sylvia joined our merry band of misfits when they decided that Dock Six was a good home for their new-to-them Siren 17. It turns out they make their own wine. Further turns out that SWMBO and I liked drinking it, so the Sirenistas became a welcome addition aboard Whiskeyjack, the defacto clubhouse of our little club.Their Siren was no bluewater boat, with a trolling motor for an auxiliary and rigging that was so suspect it could have been named Soze, but they sailed it like it was the FDNY- when others were coming in, they were heading out. They tore their jib when Sylvia fell through it trying to keep their unrestrained anchor from flying off the bow, and that sorta shortened their season. One of their goals was to cross the bay and see the lighthouse out on the end of Long Point. By the end of September it hadn't happened. The first weekend of October is the Thanksgiving weekend up here, and SWMBO and I celebrated on the boat in balmy weather, and the Sirenistas joined us for a drink, but didn't have time for a sail as they had turkey-related family obligations. Sylvia mentioned that they hadn't achieved one of their goals, to see the lighthouse, and I suggested we head over together before the end of the season. We promised to keep in touch but their schedules were kinda hectic over the next couple of weeks, and nobody could make any promises and that was where the nascent plan was left. We could all smell the end of the season and nobody knew what tomorrow would bring; Lake Erie sailors look at sailing in October like Mike Wallace looks at buying green bananas. We didn't see the Sirenistas for a couple of weeks. I checked their lines whenever I was on the dock, but they hadn't been around. I fired off an email to them on the Thursday before the last weekend of the season, suggesting that they join us on Sunday around 11-ish for a raid on the lighthouse, if the weather was favourable. No reply.

Sunday dawns beautiful. i climb into the cockpit to enjoy my morning coffee, and barely need a sweatshirt but definitely need sunglasses. It looks like a nice day to get some white flappy stuff raised, so we decide to leave as scheduled. No sign of Gavin and Sylvia. We cast off, and as we head out the fairway toward open water, my wife looks behind us and sees a figure running down the dock waving a bottle of wine. We return to the dock, snag the Sirenistas and head back out into the beautiful day.
The lighthouse is about 15 nm southeast of our marina, so figure a 6 hour round trip, best case. Sunset was right around 5 pm, so we were gonna be burning all the daylight we had...
Old 01-02-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Well what a way to start the new year. Got to go out sailing on Summer Boost with Brad(Bene505) what a nice boat. we left his dock about 9:30am temp was around 40 no wind what so ever, so we motored over to Stamford ,Ct and tied up at Brewers and went in to town for lunch. Got back to the boat around 3pm to start heading back to home port - Glen Cove, NY . It was 14nm one way. We were able to sail most of the way back with full spinnaker flying. Got back around 6:30pm . I'm sure Brad will post some pics.Thanks Brad
Old 01-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdawg View Post

Hey Snowdawg... nice outflow in Howe Sound yesterday!... your location says N Van but that looks like Squamish to me!

We were out for NewYears, stayed overnight at Bowen Island's Snug Cove. Cold (for here) at -6C overnight - cabin heaters got a workout. We met up with 3 other boats in our club and enjoyed the tail end of the Howe Sound outflows going over and coming home. Despite the wind in Howe Sound, English Bay was glassy calm, as it is this morning... but still a nice winter scene.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2011
Last Man Standing

Kaiser Sose, Mike Wallace and Green Bananas in the same post. You have a gift my friend.

Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
All of you four season sailors probably take your boats for granted, and you don't even realize it. Up here, where the season runs from early April to late October (if we're lucky... I'm still waiting for someone to show me the downside of global warming),I want to log as many miles during the season as possible- every day counts, and the clock never stops ticking. The deadline is halloween- on 10/31, the marina is CLOSED- boats are out, gate is locked, seeya, sayonara-bye-bye. usually, most boats are hauled long before then. Only real die-hards or procrastinators stay hull-wet past October 15th, since that is when the ex-wife weather starts- cold, miserable and unkind to man. This year, we had an extraordinary October- warm, sunny days with decent wind. if October is described as the shoulder season, this year had shoulders like the Packers defense in a good year, and we took full advantage of it. here's the story of the last sail of the season.
This year saw a new addition to the loose membership of the Dock Six Sailing Club and Rum Drinking Society. Gavin and Sylvia joined our merry band of misfits when they decided that Dock Six was a good home for their new-to-them Siren 17. It turns out they make their own wine. Further turns out that SWMBO and I liked drinking it, so the Sirenistas became a welcome addition aboard Whiskeyjack, the defacto clubhouse of our little club.Their Siren was no bluewater boat, with a trolling motor for an auxiliary and rigging that was so suspect it could have been named Soze, but they sailed it like it was the FDNY- when others were coming in, they were heading out. They tore their jib when Sylvia fell through it trying to keep their unrestrained anchor from flying off the bow, and that sorta shortened their season. One of their goals was to cross the bay and see the lighthouse out on the end of Long Point. By the end of September it hadn't happened. The first weekend of October is the Thanksgiving weekend up here, and SWMBO and I celebrated on the boat in balmy weather, and the Sirenistas joined us for a drink, but didn't have time for a sail as they had turkey-related family obligations. Sylvia mentioned that they hadn't achieved one of their goals, to see the lighthouse, and I suggested we head over together before the end of the season. We promised to keep in touch but their schedules were kinda hectic over the next couple of weeks, and nobody could make any promises and that was where the nascent plan was left. We could all smell the end of the season and nobody knew what tomorrow would bring; Lake Erie sailors look at sailing in October like Mike Wallace looks at buying green bananas. We didn't see the Sirenistas for a couple of weeks. I checked their lines whenever I was on the dock, but they hadn't been around. I fired off an email to them on the Thursday before the last weekend of the season, suggesting that they join us on Sunday around 11-ish for a raid on the lighthouse, if the weather was favourable. No reply.

Sunday dawns beautiful. i climb into the cockpit to enjoy my morning coffee, and barely need a sweatshirt but definitely need sunglasses. It looks like a nice day to get some white flappy stuff raised, so we decide to leave as scheduled. No sign of Gavin and Sylvia. We cast off, and as we head out the fairway toward open water, my wife looks behind us and sees a figure running down the dock waving a bottle of wine. We return to the dock, snag the Sirenistas and head back out into the beautiful day.
The lighthouse is about 15 nm southeast of our marina, so figure a 6 hour round trip, best case. Sunset was right around 5 pm, so we were gonna be burning all the daylight we had...

Old 01-02-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Was out yesterday, even got to play ice breaker. Went to the town across the sound from me, ie Kingston, and there was ice in the marina! Figure there is a larger stream that is flowing freshwater in, very little water movement, even tho there are some 12' tides right now, fresh on top, lows in the low 20's.....frozen to about 1/4-3/8" or there abouts.

Good sail most of the way over, then wind died, I motored us to the marina, Hot chocolates or coffee;s for all, then wind was 5-7 on the way home vs 2-4'ish on the way over. Great day out.
Temps were in the 30's......

marty