Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Dude- you need to get them an el-toro or opti! They will love it; and they will learn early.
Oohh! And if you're not a power tool guy, this would give you the excuse to buy some so you could build an Opti with them!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Man - another priceless day. Very nice, steady 15 with only a few gusts to 23. Flew all the canvass we had - and had a blast. Hit 8 knots at one point according to the GPS!

Big wind, and a couple of hotties in the cockpit:

And, if you've ever wondered if a C27 can point...oh...it can point...(check out the windex):

And after Bluto's hammering on my sloppy main, I realized a couple of the slugs are broken...in addition to it being all bagged out. I've got some work to do...

Great sail today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-20-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Smack,

Maybe I'm crazy but it looks like you have a LOT of room left on your boom. Is your outhaul completely slack? I'm wondering if that sail is really right for your boat and if someone slapped a Catalina insignia on it.

Time to go shopping man!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-20-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Outhaul is cranked. The mast and boom are actually from a C30. The PO lost the rig before I got into it - and replaced it with the beast you see before you. I think the PO's name was Surfesq.

Now, enough about my crappy sails...DO YOU SEE THAT THING POINTING LIKE A MOFO?!??!?!?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sorry smack, had the windex pointing straight ahead today. Need to look up wind speeds, knot meter said 18-25, felt stronger. Had a double and 110 up, hitting hull speed upwind! always fun when that happens.....

Altho David aka dodenja, had a bad day, he got RC duty. so he had to sit in the boat per say in 2-5' seas for 4 hrs or so. Oh well, I got a first......then again, only two other boats showed up, and they were in the faster division, one dropped out, ie the 40', so it was up to the 31 ie other boat, and my 28' boat to show folks we small buggers can sail today! Hit close to 9 surfing on the way home, not sure about GPS speed, as we had at least a 2-3 knot current with us home. Getting around the far buoy, we wer going sideways on port tack faster than forward which was at 5.8-6.1 knots...... current could have been faster at that point, need to see if there is a chart for that buoy......

Marty

Marty
Old 03-20-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
Itís all a matter of timing

Sort of got out today, But my timing was way off. I tired to sail out of Squamish harbor this morning but found the weather not what I was expecting.
Checked weather before we left home and Environment Canada was calling for 15 to 20 knots from the north. Not bad, sounds like a good day. Checked the weather from the beach as we got to Squamish and things looked pretty good. 15 to 20 like they said. Got the boat prepped (maybe an hour) and out into the harbor and its blowing a gale. Hmmmm My guess was 30 to 35. Due to experience (or lack of) we decided to bail and head back in. It was just bad timing
And half way back timing struck again.
I forgot the tide was running out and Squamish has a very narrow channel in the harbor at low tide. It was like hitting a very large marshmallow.
(Curse you mud flats. Thatís twice. )
After 10 mins of doing pirouettes in the channel I managed to slide free and sulk back to the marina. Day is done. Right? Not!
Timing
Pulled up to my dock. I have done this quite a few times now and docking into my slip is pretty easy. Just as I line up for my slip the wind catches my bow pushes me off of it. I slipped it into reverse to try and keep control and I end up spinning 180 and backing into the slip beside me which was empty.
Okay now Iím done. Pull the boat back into its own spot and put it to bed and went to town. Had a nice meal and a few laughs and then drove back down to the beach that we first checked in the morning.
Itís blowing maybe 15 to 20 knots. What the %#@!

Timing is everything

P.S. there is no such thing as a bad day sailing. Its either a Good Day or an Interesting Day
I had a Good Interesting Day!
Old 03-21-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Outhaul is cranked. The mast and boom are actually from a C30. The PO lost the rig before I got into it - and replaced it with the beast you see before you. I think the PO's name was Surfesq.

Now, enough about my crappy sails...DO YOU SEE THAT THING POINTING LIKE A MOFO?!??!?!?
Ah, now I understand. Yeah, you're pointing pretty high. That's cool!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-21-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdawg View Post
Itís all a matter of timing

Sort of got out today, But my timing was way off. I tired to sail out of Squamish harbor this morning but found the weather not what I was expecting.
Checked weather before we left home and Environment Canada was calling for 15 to 20 knots from the north. Not bad, sounds like a good day. Checked the weather from the beach as we got to Squamish and things looked pretty good. 15 to 20 like they said. Got the boat prepped (maybe an hour) and out into the harbor and its blowing a gale. Hmmmm My guess was 30 to 35. Due to experience (or lack of) we decided to bail and head back in. It was just bad timing
And half way back timing struck again.
I forgot the tide was running out and Squamish has a very narrow channel in the harbor at low tide. It was like hitting a very large marshmallow.
(Curse you mud flats. Thatís twice. )
After 10 mins of doing pirouettes in the channel I managed to slide free and sulk back to the marina. Day is done. Right? Not!
Timing
Pulled up to my dock. I have done this quite a few times now and docking into my slip is pretty easy. Just as I line up for my slip the wind catches my bow pushes me off of it. I slipped it into reverse to try and keep control and I end up spinning 180 and backing into the slip beside me which was empty.
Okay now Iím done. Pull the boat back into its own spot and put it to bed and went to town. Had a nice meal and a few laughs and then drove back down to the beach that we first checked in the morning.
Itís blowing maybe 15 to 20 knots. What the %#@!

Timing is everything

P.S. there is no such thing as a bad day sailing. Its either a Good Day or an Interesting Day
I had a Good Interesting Day!
Sounds like you did the right thing bailing. 30-35 starts becoming work.

As for the curly-cue docking procedure...as long as you didn't sink your boat or someone else's - I'd call it a success.

Timing....and perspective.

Old 03-21-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Smack, has the BFS thread faded from the scene? Is this thread taking over? We are back from our very soggy trip to San Franciscoís South Beach last weekend. Two major storms rolled through in the span of three days. On Friday, we had to wait for a lull (15kts) to back out from our slip. Fortunately, we didnít have a jib already bent on so we were able to run up our Dacron blade in the rain and we tucked in two reefs at the dock. We had sustained winds in the mid twenties with gusts to the mid thirties when crossing the South Bay and with the winds from the south and the 30+ NM fetch, needless to say, we had our share of nasty slop. The moonís perigee this weekend contibuted for some nasty current action at the entrance to South Beach and plenty of surge action while we were docking. Saturdayís storm was even more intense with winds gusting into the upper forties and heavy rain (I have new found respect for those who sit out hurricanes.) If you read todayís Ďlectronic latitiude, you will see that there were multiple sinkings on the Bay. A few headsails and a lot of canvas work was shreaded in South Beach. Sunday was the best day of the weekend insomuch that it was a series of squalls that marched through and although we saw some build into anvils, no thunderstorms. We got real lucky that for the most part, squals went by us on either side allowing for our jib and main to dry out from Fridayís drenching. We were able to get everything down before Alameda got hit by a squall so we didnít have to dry out sails in our garage. All-in-all a pretty nice trip Ė the folks at SBYC couldnít have been nicer and we got to hear a lot about the preparations for the next Americaís Cup. So, when I go to the pump-out dock next weekend, do I write about that here or in the BFS thread?
Old 03-21-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, has the BFS thread faded from the scene? Is this thread taking over? We are back from our very soggy trip to San Francisco’s South Beach last weekend. Two major storms rolled through in the span of three days. On Friday, we had to wait for a lull (15kts) to back out from our slip. Fortunately, we didn’t have a jib already bent on so we were able to run up our Dacron blade in the rain and we tucked in two reefs at the dock. We had sustained winds in the mid twenties with gusts to the mid thirties when crossing the South Bay and with the winds from the south and the 30+ NM fetch, needless to say, we had our share of nasty slop. The moon’s perigee this weekend contibuted for some nasty current action at the entrance to South Beach and plenty of surge action while we were docking. Saturday’s storm was even more intense with winds gusting into the upper forties and heavy rain (I have new found respect for those who sit out hurricanes.) If you read today’s ‘lectronic latitiude, you will see that there were multiple sinkings on the Bay. A few headsails and a lot of canvas work was shreaded in South Beach. Sunday was the best day of the weekend insomuch that it was a series of squalls that marched through and although we saw some build into anvils, no thunderstorms. We got real lucky that for the most part, squals went by us on either side allowing for our jib and main to dry out from Friday’s drenching. We were able to get everything down before Alameda got hit by a squall so we didn’t have to dry out sails in our garage. All-in-all a pretty nice trip – the folks at SBYC couldn’t have been nicer and we got to hear a lot about the preparations for the next America’s Cup. So, when I go to the pump-out dock next weekend, do I write about that here or in the BFS thread?
Hell no...the BFS thread ain't dead! As a matter of fact, we've just been waiting (like forever) for someone to finally rate. I'd say you rate.

This thread is for mellow, pleasant sails that didn't cause you to spill your drink.

Post moved accordingly...