SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   furlex gear maint (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/65349-furlex-gear-maint.html)

redhead78 06-06-2010 06:40 PM

furlex gear maint

Hey all I finally hit the water this weekend first run of new beta was a big sucess, the difference was huge. I had a shiteatin grin you could not wipe off my face, and I had to wait till 3AM for tide and a bridge keeper to get out of the marina. Anyhew, I have a furlex roller furling gear and need to grease is there specific grease I can buy, use that waterproof blue grease?..... Red

knothead 06-06-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhead78 (Post 610434)
Hey all I finally hit the water this weekend first run of new beta was a big sucess, the difference was huge. I had a shiteatin grin you could not wipe off my face, and I had to wait till 3AM for tide and a bridge keeper to get out of the marina. Anyhew, I have a furlex roller furling gear and need to grease is there specific grease I can buy, use that waterproof blue grease?..... Red

I would just get some aerosol Teflon grease. It's easier to get the grease in with the straw.

http://www.netmercury.net/images/pro...erosol14oz.jpg

svsirius 06-06-2010 09:37 PM

Furlex sells some branded grease but the blue waterproof stuff should be fine. Use that do not use the spray suggested above you need something that will hang around. It is not hard to do just squeeze and rotate :) .. I do mine 2x yr sailing year round.

wwilson 06-06-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhead78 (Post 610434)
... is there specific grease I can buy, use that waterproof blue grease?..... Red

Red,

We have a Furlex and lube it with the waterproof grease. Lubriplate makes a good one that is easily ordered on-line or found in some auto parts stores. auto-marine-grease.html You will need to disassemble the upper portion to get at the bearing race - but that is easily done. The manufacturer recommends every other year for the lower race.

Give it a good hosing once in a while as well to keep the salt from forming and wipe that damn grin off your face.

sailingfool 06-06-2010 10:13 PM

Do not user teflon grease yikes, Furlex has open bearings you need to use a waterproof grease. Their manuals are excellent, be sure to use it. The Furlex gear is excellent and expensive, you should pay the extra buck or two to get the right grease:

Selden Mast (Furlex) 312-501 LUBRICATING GREASE (TUBE 90 G) Ships Store Torresen

The300s model doesn't require any disassembly to grease.d

wwilson 06-06-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 610490)
The300s model doesn't require any disassembly to grease.d

Both the 200s and 300s require disassembly to grease the lower race. Page 43 of the Furlex manual explains.

Furlex Manual

SVAuspicious 06-07-2010 03:33 AM

When you open up the Furlex the foil always slips down. Make sure to get it all the way back up so the retaining bolt goes into the alignment hole near the bottom of the foil. Common mistake is to miss the hole and the bolt presses on the foil. The foil will slide down and jam.

knothead 06-07-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsirius (Post 610477)
Furlex sells some branded grease but the blue waterproof stuff should be fine. Use that do not use the spray suggested above you need something that will hang around. It is not hard to do just squeeze and rotate :) .. I do mine 2x yr sailing year round.

The Teflon grease that I suggested above goes on as a liquid and then sets up.
It's easier to get the grease into the little holes and works perfectly.

But what do I know? I'm just a dealer, installer and rigger.
  • Aerosol version sprays on wet, and then sets up as a water and corrosion resistant grease
  • Resists melting, freezing, washing off, or breaking down under high speeds, high heats or heavy loads
  • Excellent film strength and durability
  • High dropping point helps ensure retention where high temperatures are encountered
  • Good extreme pressure and anti-wear properties
  • High quality base fluids provide reliable protection against rust and corrosion
  • NLGI #2
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/grease.html

wwilson 06-07-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 610532)
When you open up the Furlex the foil always slips down. Make sure to get it all the way back up so the retaining bolt goes into the alignment hole near the bottom of the foil.

Surprisingly Dave, I knew that - don't ask how :rolleyes:

Btw to Knot's point, if you use conventional grease get a plastic syringe at West Marine. Fill the syringe then apply through the grease ports of the Furlex.

jtsailjt 08-01-2013 12:11 AM

Re: furlex gear maint

I realize this is an old thread but I'm considering a boat with a Furlex furler and am wondering about how much time is involved in maintaining it? How long does it take to disassemble, clean, grease, and reassemble it each time? Is Furlex performance worth the time or if you had it to do over would you opt for a unit with Torlon bearings?