iPhone Sailing - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-07-2010
SailingGeek's Avatar
Nerd of the Seas
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
SailingGeek is on a distinguished road
iPhone Sailing

Hi, my name is Manuel, I'm a San Francisco Bay Area sailor, working with a bunch of developers and sailors to create a free iPhone app for sailing, focused on mapping and showcasing the knowledge local sailors have of their local waters. Our first, barebones version just came out, but we are thinking of features to add to it.

Anyway, I was wondering what iPhone apps, if any, you guys use for sailing or geeking out about sailing, what you like/dislike about them, and what features you wish they had. Also what your experience with cell coverage in coastal waters is. Here in the SF and Monterey Bay Areas 3G coverage is actually great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 06-08-2010
mceveritt's Avatar
Pearson Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mceveritt is on a distinguished road
it could be great... but cellphone range sucks on the water (at least in the northeast (long island ny))... i'll wait until 4g or better before relying on any phone for information while on the water...

I have tried Navionics which is great, (well it would be except for the service) - it could be great...

goodluck. - in general the service is the issue, not the services...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 06-08-2010
nk235's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 404
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
nk235 is on a distinguished road
I sail in the Long Island Sound as well (out of Mt. Sinai which is pretty far east) but have to disagree with the above poster(no offense, just my experience). I get great cell phone service while on the water. Sail mostly between Eaton's Neck (Huntington) on the western edge and Mattituck all the way to Connecticut and inbetween and usually can always make calls and or use the internet. We sleep on the boat 3-4 nights a week and mostly anchor out in different ports on the weekends and always use the iphone to check the local radar for thunderstorms. 9/10 times it works perfect. I have a nokia 6500 and an iphone (both at&t) and have no trouble with both.

I just recently broke my last iphone but am going to be getting the iphone 4 when it comes out later this month. I'm excited to try out your app.

-Nick
__________________
Morgan 323
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 06-08-2010
JohnRPollard's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 5,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 10
JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Cell phone coverage on Ches Bay is spotty. Likewise along those portions of the New England Coastline I'm familiar with.

The cell companies place their towers in such a way to maximize coverage with the fewest possible towers. There is a radius of coverage around those towers. Particularly in less densely populated areas, they try to minimize both the number of towers and overlapping range.

So they place those towers inland, such that the radius of coverage just reaches the coastline or sometimes slightly beyond with good propagation. And because they want to minimize overlap, there are "blank" spots in the coverage out near the extremes of the range.

Personally, I would not rely on or invest in cell phone technology for even coastal navigation. It would only be okay if you did nothing but hug the coast tightly -- and even then you'd find plenty of areas where it had no coverage. But who wants to operate a navigation system that will be spotty at best and will go blank if you take a long tack out from the coast line? Or weather forces you to keep your distance from the shoreline? Or your course takes you away from it?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the appeal would be very limited to protected inland waters and bays. Maybe you'd find a micro-market in places like San Diego and SF Bay?

Then again, I don't have an i-phone and I know very few people who do.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 06-08-2010
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 2,649
Thanks: 0
Thanked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 8
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
My understanding agrees with that of JRP. The service providers have worked to steer their coverage where the customers are. Several years ago I could watch streaming video on my laptop while sailing from Annapolis to Solomons. Now the signal is down significantly out in the Chesapeake. Interestingly I had a great AT&T 3G signal from Block Island to City Island a few weeks ago.

That said I've had great luck using a laptop/datacard and/or my iPhone for weather updates, local information, and e-mail in anchorages up and down most of the East Coast EXCEPT for North Carolina which seems to be a cell phone wasteland.

For iPhone apps there is Navimatics with the entire ActiveCaptain local knowledge database. $20 / coast.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 06-08-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MikeClements is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hijack but does anyone know of any sailing apps for Blackberry?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 06-08-2010
mceveritt's Avatar
Pearson Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mceveritt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
I sail in the Long Island Sound as well (out of Mt. Sinai which is pretty far east) but have to disagree with the above poster(no offense, just my experience). I get great cell phone service while on the water. Sail mostly between Eaton's Neck (Huntington) on the western edge and Mattituck all the way to Connecticut and inbetween and usually can always make calls and or use the internet. We sleep on the boat 3-4 nights a week and mostly anchor out in different ports on the weekends and always use the iphone to check the local radar for thunderstorms. 9/10 times it works perfect. I have a nokia 6500 and an iphone (both at&t) and have no trouble with both.

I just recently broke my last iphone but am going to be getting the iphone 4 when it comes out later this month. I'm excited to try out your app.

-Nick
Maybe I have bad luck?
I am generally in the peconic bay, where you would think there would be more service since it's between the forks. But yeah im just speaking from my own experience...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 06-08-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,373
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Cell phone coverage on Ches Bay is spotty. Likewise along those portions of the New England Coastline I'm familiar with.

The cell companies place their towers in such a way to maximize coverage with the fewest possible towers. There is a radius of coverage around those towers. Particularly in less densely populated areas, they try to minimize both the number of towers and overlapping range.

So they place those towers inland, such that the radius of coverage just reaches the coastline or sometimes slightly beyond with good propagation. And because they want to minimize overlap, there are "blank" spots in the coverage out near the extremes of the range.

Personally, I would not rely on or invest in cell phone technology for even coastal navigation. It would only be okay if you did nothing but hug the coast tightly -- and even then you'd find plenty of areas where it had no coverage. But who wants to operate a navigation system that will be spotty at best and will go blank if you take a long tack out from the coast line? Or weather forces you to keep your distance from the shoreline? Or your course takes you away from it?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the appeal would be very limited to protected inland waters and bays. Maybe you'd find a micro-market in places like San Diego and SF Bay?

Then again, I don't have an i-phone and I know very few people who do.
Your comments are correct for phones that relay on cell tower for location determination.

The Andriod phones have a true gps receiver, so the lack of cell tower coverage doesn't limit their useability for nav purposes (or for mountain hiking...). I understand the new, maybe more recent iPhones also now have a true gps. Although I have milspec Casio clamshell which has been an excellent phone - waterproof - after a buddy tracked the progress of last Sunday's thunderstorms to a T with his iPhone weather radar app, I feel that functionality is a must have...especially if you are sailing a smaller boat.

I need to figure out whether an Android is good enough, or even better...
__________________
Certified...in several regards...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 06-08-2010
SSBN506's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Brunswick Canada
Posts: 155
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Your comments are correct for phones that relay on cell tower for location determination.

The Andriod phones have a true gps receiver, so the lack of cell tower coverage doesn't limit their useability for nav purposes (or for mountain hiking...). I understand the new, maybe more recent iPhones also now have a true gps. Although I have milspec Casio clamshell which has been an excellent phone - waterproof - after a buddy tracked the progress of last Sunday's thunderstorms to a T with his iPhone weather radar app, I feel that functionality is a must have...especially if you are sailing a smaller boat.

I need to figure out whether an Android is good enough, or even better...

all iphones for sale today have true gps. the 3g,3gs and 4 all have it. Only the first gen didn't and you cant get them anymore except maybe ebay.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 06-08-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Icarus05 is on a distinguished road
For Wind

I just got the windAlert app I saw on sailflows website but am not very impressed.

Then today I just got Windfinder which seems to be great. I wanted a good wind app to get an idea of how the Wednesday night races would go and think I could get some decent coverage on lake Michigan for the distance races when we are near shore.

I have not tried the Navioncs app yet but I'm interested. Is that the one you developed?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising Multihull Sail Trim Kevin Jeffrey Buying a Boat Articles 0 10-05-2004 08:00 PM
Sailing Basics Steve Colgate Her Sailnet Articles 0 03-09-2003 07:00 PM
Single-Handed Sailing John Kretschmer Her Sailnet Articles 0 10-19-1999 08:00 PM
Pure and Simple Sailing Micca Hutchins Buying a Boat Articles 0 11-09-1998 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012