Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010

MikeClements is on a distinguished road
What is in a good log book?

I just bought my first sailboat a few weeks ago and can't wait to get on the water. I want to keep a log book of all the times I sail her. I am wondering:

1) How many of you guys keep a log book?

2) What information is essential to ensure lasting memories of sailing my boat?

I know I want to record where I sail, the weather conditions, and what I practiced or learned. What else would be considered essential in a complete log book?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Really depends what you want to accomplish with the Log Book. I track sailing days,conditions, crew, engine hours each day, and anything that needs to be worked on based on the days sailing.

In addition, I use the log book to track all service to the boat including engine, rig, etc.. I also keep an inventory of all equipment on board.

The log, with receipts, is a great tool when selling the boat...if you have maintained it you will have the facts for a possible future buyer.
Old 06-08-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I keep a log which pretty much is like a travel log. For each trip, I generally note the wind conditions, points of sail and boat speeds. I note when things went well and when they went bad and what we might try to make things better next time. I also note anchorages and marinas visited and who was aboard and any other thoughts/observations or things of interest. In the margins I note trip distance and a running total of the distance we've covered. In the off season I note what I did to winterize, maintenance performed and any upgrades made to the boat. I've considered breaking out the maintenance in a separate log similar to my airplane log, but I haven't yet and will probably prove too lazy to keep it separate.
Old 06-08-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I keep a three ring binder log with several separate sections. A fuel log, a maintenance log, a travel log, a section for inventory, ship's documents and a section for clearing customs.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-08-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I would log how many beers where brought aboard then how many people. Then log how many beers returned if you really care log in how many of the crew returned.
Old 06-08-2010
biteandbooze.com

jaydducote is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this post. I just bought a new boat (actually will finalize the purchase and get the title on Thursday) and hadn't thought before about doing a log book like this. I think all of these are great suggestions, and I'll likely go with the three-ring binder and sectioned approach. I'll also take lapworth's advice and make a section specifically dedicated to the consumption of beer/booze and crew!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eating, Drinking, and Sailing Louisiana

Last edited by jaydducote; 06-08-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeClements View Post
I just bought my first sailboat a few weeks ago and can't wait to get on the water. I want to keep a log book of all the times I sail her. I am wondering:

1) How many of you guys keep a log book?

2) What information is essential to ensure lasting memories of sailing my boat?

I know I want to record where I sail, the weather conditions, and what I practiced or learned. What else would be considered essential in a complete log book?
Include memories, impressions, feelings. Any unusual or beautiful natural occurances. Boats or people you meet. So that when you read it in the future, you relive the sail.

Last edited by Faster; 06-09-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 06-09-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We use standard composition books and maintain multiple logs. We have a log to record when we completed projects or upgrades, we have a log for the engine to record the hours and when maintenance is completed, our standard boat log would be for trips and weather data, and we have a visitors log for people to sign and leave us contact information.

Old 06-09-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We've always kept a log, not a blow-by-blow or tack-by-tack or hourly fix type of log appropriate for passage making, but more of a journal/diary type of record, in addition to maintenance and upgrade information. We track conditions, destinations, guests, number of days, overnights, and laydays. Recently we've adapted an expandable photo-album style of log with sleeves to add photos to flesh out the written word. For photos we tend to make collages of various pics we've taken during the trip(s)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-09-2010

MikeClements is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great ideas guys. I really like remetau's idea of a guest log. I hadn't even thought of that. Also Faster's idea for adding photos. I want something that I can look back on years down the road and remember my first little boat after I have moved on to bigger and better things.