Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Teen Sailor's Rescue Raises Safety, Expense Issues

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127775304
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Good article, although I was surprised by Jobson's and Larson's comments - both sailors...

We (the US) spend tons on "at risk" kids who never amount to anything, we spend even more on college costs for kids who are not ready for high schol let alone college.

I say rescue her, or any one else who is out there in eminent danger and has adequately prepared - as she did, she was well trained, in shape and did not panic...she did what she was supposed to do. Unfortunately Mother Nature had different plans.

Perhaps insurance, don't know who would touch a risk like this...is an idea whose time has come. A big thank you to Quantas for diverting a flight and to New Zealand, Chile and Australia for doing the big rescues down under.

I would hope that the US will ignore the armchair sailors and Monday morning quarterbacks and continue the long standing tradition of stepping up. I know as a sailor, it is my duty to help and assist, and would expect the same from my peers.

What say you all?
Old 06-11-2010

MikeClements is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Good article, although I was surprised by Jobson's and Larson's comments - both sailors...

We (the US) spend tons on "at risk" kids who never amount to anything, we spend even more on college costs for kids who are not ready for high schol let alone college.

I say rescue her, or any one else who is out there in eminent danger and has adequately prepared - as she did, she was well trained, in shape and did not panic...she did what she was supposed to do. Unfortunately Mother Nature had different plans.

Perhaps insurance, don't know who would touch a risk like this...is an idea whose time has come. A big thank you to Quantas for diverting a flight and to New Zealand, Chile and Australia for doing the big rescues down under.

I would hope that the US will ignore the armchair sailors and Monday morning quarterbacks and continue the long standing tradition of stepping up. I know as a sailor, it is my duty to help and assist, and would expect the same from my peers.

What say you all?
Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 06-11-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Maybe they will forward the bill to her parents; since she is still a Minor. That might put a stop to round three by the Sunderlands (younger child or grand-child).
Old 06-12-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I don't see how a 16 year old could possibly have the neccessary experince to sail the world alone. She's too young to use a credit card or buy a cigarette. There's reason we don't let children get married: lack of judgement. This was a reckless stunt from the start.
Old 06-12-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I don't see how a 16 year old could possibly have the neccessary experince to sail the world alone. She's too young to use a credit card or buy a cigarette. There's reason we don't let children get married: lack of judgement. This was a reckless stunt from the start.
She had the experience before she set sail and garnered even more during this attempt to sail around the world. She is the second child of her family that tried this... Her brother succeeded in his round the world sail.

I felt that they choose the wrong boat for this. That boat was designed for racing and usually carries a much larger crew. She viewed this jaunt as more of a race with Jessica Watson in having the shortest time of rounding the world. And that what caused them to pick a sailboat built for racing. While the other girl, Jessica, choose a much older proven seaworthy design; Yes it was slower and had been knocked down eight times during that trip.

But I do support a teenager in going for a worth while dream. Some become artists, some musicans, some in sports, those are their dreams. Then you have the kids that race dirt-bikes & miget racers, skateboard, and other extreme sports where you can be injured or killed. And I won't even go there.

But when a girl is out on the ocean single-handing a sail boat, she is far far away from ham-handed sex crazed boys and expensive shopping malls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second this... and point out that they only bought Wild Eyes in October, giving Abby less than FOUR months to gain experience on the boat and become familiar with it and its systems. I'd also point out that some of that four months the boat was in transit and not available to Abby. Also, her leaving when she did was not very good planning IMHO, though it was a necessity due to her wanting to make the "youngest" achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
She had the experience before she set sail and garnered even more during this attempt to sail around the world. She is the second child of her family that tried this... Her brother succeeded in his round the world sail.

I felt that they choose the wrong boat for this. That boat was designed for racing and usually carries a much larger crew. She viewed this jaunt as more of a race with Jessica Watson in having the shortest time of rounding the world. And that what caused them to pick a sailboat built for racing. While the other girl, Jessica, choose a much older proven seaworthy design; Yes it was slower and had been knocked down eight times during that trip.

But I do support a teenager in going for a worth while dream. Some become artists, some musicans, some in sports, those are their dreams. Then you have the kids that race dirt-bikes & miget racers, skateboard, and other extreme sports where you can be injured or killed. And I won't even go there.

But when a girl is out on the ocean single-handing a sail boat, she is far far away from ham-handed sex crazed boys and expensive shopping malls.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
All of which reflects a lack of judgement.
I rest my case.
Old 06-12-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
From a posting that I made on another BB -

"Its very very sad seemingly that americans have become so frantically 'risk-adverse' so much so that they are now apparently radically limiting their own and others individual ability to dream and pursue such dreams.

One has to wonder about a nation with 1 lawyer for every 250 citizens, consumes perhaps 15% of the 'private sector portion' of its GDP in 'risk prevention' and probably will soon almost prevent any 'unsupervised' purposeful human activity ... because there may be someone doing a perceived harm, somewhere?

Eventually, one can place a bet, that Sunderlands parents will be called into a courtroom ... for child abuse, for risking a personal catastrophe, childs 'truancy', etc. In the USA the 'government now must CONTROL everything'.

Why do americans need to micro-control virtually every action and thought of human activity? Is it a national disease this almost national prohibition on living ones dream? Most importantly, doesnt this idealogue-esque addiction of micro-management and control greatly lessen the personal FREEDOMS upon which your very country was founded? Very Sad, very very SAD.

Yes indeed, Sunderland is a hero. She's become one of my heros ... her exploits have increased my desire to dream larger dreams."

-------

If Columbus was a present-day american, he probably would have only discovered Genoa.

All that said, I agree that the cost of the rescue should be paid by Sunderland Family. They accepted the risks involved which then put others at risk during the rescue; and rescues can be VERY costly. Ive been in "Rescue" for over 40 years ... and do get sometimes quite pissed when I have to put myself in jeopardy because of lame-brained and foolhardy 'adventurers'.
Old 06-12-2010

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road
RichH has expressed my feellings on the matter quite well. I would add that as a tax payer I already pay through the nose for the coast guard the local police the FBI the local fire department the local E911 system and any other form of rescue that may be used so they will do the job that they we pay them for without complaining. I can assure you that if they make jessicas parents pay for a rescue that we already payed for that your taxes wont go down.

Mitch

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.