Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Someone asked if I shouldn't think about buying a bigger boat to fit the new name on the transom.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
OK here is a question for you all. If the name is sewed on the mainsail sunbrella cover and you take it off does the holes it leaves count as the name still being on the boat?
Confused and superstitious
Melissa
Old 05-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
only if the sunbrella is faded enough for you to make out the name from 10' away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
OK here is a question for you all. If the name is sewed on the mainsail sunbrella cover and you take it off does the holes it leaves count as the name still being on the boat?
Confused and superstitious
Melissa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-02-2009

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I had decide to ignore superstitions, and left for a trip home on Friday 13. On the way home I almost got run over by a barge, ran aground and then ended up with 40kt head winds, 10-15ft. waves and a strong tide coming behind and from the side as I crossed the San Juan de Fuca straits causing a few wave close to spreader height. I never liked the name of my boat and was was told she (the boat) will tell me when she is ready and what to name her. I have found a new name, but will wait before untill I get all the refit I am doing done and will follow the proper procedure.
Old 03-09-2009

OutThere is on a distinguished road
Ask her. It may be she never loved her original name. Or, if she is an older boat, has out grown it. On some quiet night light a few candles for romantic affect and explain to her your reasons for the name change. Then wait patiently. You will get your answer. Always a good idea to take the time to stay on good terms.
Old 04-07-2009

dergon is on a distinguished road
Well. We just closed on our forst sailboat.

I am just superstitious enough to want to perform proper ritual but not so superstitious as to keep the vessel's current name

We're thinking of "Bad in Plaid" ....since it is a Tartan and all.

Anyhow...here is my particular question.

We are going to have the old name burnished off before launch. ((the champagne soaked rabbit's foot toss over and catch in a bucket and run to the lake technique seems workable))

But....and it's a big but .......But....

then the boat likely has to be sailed down the lake before the person here locally can affix the new name.

SO.....

Can I simply finish the naming ceremony and formally give the boat her new moniker without having the actual lettering available? How about some duct tape lettered by a sharpie for a temporary nameplate?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009

"proper procedure" (short version)

From what I unserstand the procedure for removing the old name requires that every occurrence of the name be removed from the boat, the name be written on a piece of paper with a line drawn through it, placed in a box, burnt and the ashes dumped over board on an out going tide (high tide on the full of a moon if you are on a lake)....then the christening procedure can begin...but I also have been told that a boat is christened only once, regardless of the name changes

Last edited by wolfenzee; 10-22-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2009

she told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutThere View Post
Ask her. It may be she never loved her original name. Or, if she is an older boat, has out grown it. On some quiet night light a few candles for romantic affect and explain to her your reasons for the name change. Then wait patiently. You will get your answer. Always a good idea to take the time to stay on good terms.
I racked my brain trying to figure out a name.....then when listening to the song "Waltzing Matilda" by the Irish Rovers....the explanation of what Waltzing Matilda meant just "felt good.....and that it will be. Actually Waltzing Matilda is not far from the present name "Rover" (except the precious owner named her Rover because he was never able to get a dog)
Old 10-22-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Someone told me about a guy who named his boat "Ruth", after his wife. After his divorce from Ruth, in which one of the few things he was able to keep was the boat (of course), he added "less" making her the "Ruthless". It was told it to me as if it was actually someone he knows. As much as I would like to believe it, I always thought it sounded too much like a joke, and that probably everyone else has heard it. Funny in any case!

Last edited by L124C; 10-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2009

I saw a boat once: "Last Dam Boat II"
and one here (in the same font as on the cover of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: "Don't Panic" (upside down).
I was working at a marina once and was removing the name on a power boat
the "Brass Ring" I got a couple of letters removed went to lunch, and as I was returning from lunch walking back down the dock, I noticed that there was an ugly brown boat at the dock the "ass Ring" ..... oops, I finished removing the name before my boss noticed
There is a big power boat here with a swim platform and a door in the transom to get to it. The boat is the "Salty Lass", but the owner usually leaves the door open, making it the "Salt ass"