Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I couldn't survive without ac.... I'm in the ac biz LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hey! who corrected the spelling of my heading? LOL I wanted it to spell as
humugity!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Denise - I'm from the Philly area and know your cruising area well. Since moving to VA in 1987 and sailing the Northern Bay for a year and the Mid-Bay for 22 years we've settled into 3 distinct seasons.

Spring - MAr/Apr/May/June - work on boat and get decent sailing through the end of June.
Summer - July/Aug - The Bay wind machine is OFF, so mostly day sails and no anchoring out. If we stay on board, the A/C is on. Exception is Gov Cup at the beginning of Aug which is HOT when we usually finish (1400-ish)
Fall - Sept through mid-Nov. The Bay wind machine is ON. Delightful and magical.

On our last boat, we once sailed down the Rapphannock River on July 4th in 100+ heat. Not fun... then it thunderstormed and we had to stay in an un-airconditioned, steamy cabin. The heat and no wind makes spending the day motoring (HOT cabin!) a real downer so I use July and August for maintenance of the engine and teak, etc; stuff that I don't get to in the spring. I don't mind being hot during the day, but want to sleep at night.
Old 06-14-2010

gene1952 is on a distinguished road
P30 Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The Admiral has the same problem. I can tolerate the sun, heat and humidity fairly well, but she's a light-skinned redhead and absolutely cannot. It's usually not a problem when we're actually out on the lake when there's decent air, but getting to/from the lake is an approximately 45 min. trip at 3-4 kts. (No wake zone most of the way.) Particularly in the late afternoon, coming back, it can be quite punishing. Plus our boat can't mount a bimini while in operation because the boom's too low.

Jim
I HAVE A 1977 P30 CALLED BELLADONNA, WE HAD THE BOOM RAISED AND GAVE UP A LITTLE SAIL AREA FOR A REALLY NICE BIMINI. AT THE SAME TIME WE ADDED BEHIND THE MAST ROLLER FURLING. ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE IN SPEED, WE USE THE MAIN A LOT MORE AND WE DON'T GET HOT. THE BIMINI ALSO EXTENDS A LITTLE OVER THE ENTRANCE TO THE CABIN SO THE BOAT CAN STAY OPEN IN LIGHT RAIN.
Old 06-14-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
A bimini is a lifesaver on Victoria. Makes the days bearable. If I could get my Gov Cup crew to let me use it during the race that would be great. But it's not manly and they make me keep it furled. I think that's payback for me not letting them drink alcohol during the race.
Old 06-14-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The Admiral has the same problem. I can tolerate the sun, heat and humidity fairly well, but she's a light-skinned redhead and absolutely cannot. It's usually not a problem when we're actually out on the lake when there's decent air, but getting to/from the lake is an approximately 45 min. trip at 3-4 kts. (No wake zone most of the way.) Particularly in the late afternoon, coming back, it can be quite punishing. Plus our boat can't mount a bimini while in operation because the boom's too low.

Jim
My wife (also fair skin) like the shade of the dodger on our P30, except it blocks the breeze. Denise, make certain you have plenty of cold water available to drink (not soda or beer) and drink it *before* you're completely parched. Heat exhaustion is nothing to mess around with and can quickly get much worse. If you have a dodger up, make sure you open the window to get some air into the cockpit. One of my favorite things about sailing is that out on the sound, it's often 10 degrees cooler than on land -- no place I'd rather be when it's a real scorcher (provided there's a breeze...).
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 06-14-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Hey! who corrected the spelling of my heading? LOL I wanted it to spell as
humugity!
Sorry.... I put it back....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Thank you Faster ! lol

my current "project"!
Old 06-14-2010

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
A little help

Apply cloths soaked with cold water to back of neck, as water evaporates it should help cool you down. Also can wrap same around wrists, cool the blood and it circulates helping cool body.
Old 06-14-2010

chas5131 is on a distinguished road
Tampa Bay is having the Tall Ships in mid-august.
Thinking of going down.
Wondering about the heat and humidity.
Also curious about pop up storms.

Would charter some sort of boat for day sails.

Will conditions be tolerable in mid-July?

I snowed again this morning (6/14/2010) around my place in the high country of Colorado. Florida is looking good.