Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
humugity - |(h)yoōˈməgē| a rare combination of noun and adjective (a nounjective)

the state or quality of being humid and unpleasantly warm. i.e., anywhere on the Chesapeake from 15 june through 01 September. ability to liquify human beings into smelly, ranting, lobster red, overheated mammals in search of regions of cool air and/or (alcoholic) drinks. Frequently results in frantic flinging of oneself into jellyfish-infested waters.
Old 06-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A bimini is a lifesaver in the summertime. It keeps the sun off of you during the time of day it is most intense and reduces the temperature by several degrees in the cockpit during the hottest part of the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
I'm very lite skined but work outside so I just sail and use sun screen with uv 10.0000 protection. Just did alittle over 45 nm on the Neuse river here in NC this weekend. 100+ heat index but we had to much fun to care.
Old 06-14-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Could always go further north during the summer.

That's why boats have sails!

Please support my
Old 06-14-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Denise, I have no tolerance for humidity and with added heat, less than none. But I find that if I suck down a real hydration mix instead of just water, it makes a HUGE difference. Nothing fancy with "food don't come in those colors" but plain cheap UN-standard hydration mix:

1 gallon water
3 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate)
1 tsp potassium chloride (salt substitute)
30 tsp sugar or 6 tsp honey, use koolaid instead for flavor.

It never tastes good no matter what you do. But it tastes way better when you realize you're not feeling as faint as you were.

There are also 'cooling vests" and neckerchiefs that you can get from safety/work clothing supply stores, which you presoak with water. And then through some magic they evaporate it off and keep you significantly cooler in hot weather. Used by construction and road workers who have to be out playing with things like hot asphalt in this wx.
Old 06-14-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Being a glutton for punishment I will go out for a sail on those Philadelphia days when it is 90 deg F and 90% humidity. This condition is usually every other day June through August, early morning may be a touch more comfortable but not by much.

The thunderstorms are a welcome break.

No bimini just a wide brim hat, sunscreen as hair gel and at least 1 litre per hour of cool water until the ice melts then warm water.
Old 06-14-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Denise...Ottos is right. Barnegat Bay is a great place for a shoal draft vessel like yours. Every afternoon you get the cool seabreeze without the ocean swells or waves and it has about a 15 mile fetch north to sout with some nice places to anchor including Tices Shoal where you can dinghy to the small deserted spit of land of Island State Park. [I]f you choose you can even go out the inlet into the ocean, although Barnegat Inlet is not for the faint of heart. North of there is the canal to Manesquan Inlet which is only about a 30 mile run to Sandy Hook. I lved in Ocean City, NJ and kept my first larger sailboat and Islander 28 draft 4''6 there

Dave

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
someday maybe... my boat NEEDS 5ft or more to feel safe. for now i'm here on the River.

my current "project"!
Old 06-14-2010

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Cooling neckerchiefs work

Search for "MiraCool" or similar product.
Attached Thumbnails
Heat, sun, humugity, tolerance-miracool-bandana.gif  
Old 06-14-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

Do many of you get overcome by the heat as easily as me? (why would anyone would retire to fla will always be a mystery to me!) Getting heat sickness, Red faced, heartbeat racing, feeling dizzy, stumbling from the heat after being at the helm a couple of hours? not being able to cool off and having to go for a swim just to get your core temp back to normal. It's happened a couple of times now and I don't like it. GRRRS
Cut back on the margarita intake and crank up the water intake, at least to a 1:1 ratio

A bimini is a big help, we have gone one step further and have a filler panel which ties our bimini to our dodger.

When it is really stagnant, I pull out a cheapo 12v fan and clip it to one of the header bows of the bimini frame.

Last edited by bljones; 06-14-2010 at 09:19 PM.