Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Heat, sun, humugity, tolerance

Here it's only June and the 3 HHHs are already upon us in SE PA! Last June we were on the Chessy for 10 days and I think at least 8 of those days were just terrible for me. Even on the hook the evenings were bad. On the way back, at Chesapeake City it was 110 under the Bimini top! The weather became nice AFTER getting home of course!

Well, I've not been going on my boat in the day time much lately, and it looks like I'll only be doing later afternoons and evenings until Sept. I just can't take the heat. I'm glad that my boat is close and I can be on it in 20mins from my house. That will have to suffice for now!

Do many of you get overcome by the heat as easily as me? (why would anyone would retire to fla will always be a mystery to me!) Getting heat sickness, Red faced, heartbeat racing, feeling dizzy, stumbling from the heat after being at the helm a couple of hours? not being able to cool off and having to go for a swim just to get your core temp back to normal. It's happened a couple of times now and I don't like it. GRRRS

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Forgot to mention it's the one thing that may get me out of sail boating, that and the short season. I doubt I could ever afford to retire to the west coast LOL.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2010

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. I'm fair skinned and burn badly in just a few hours. I get extremely red in the face, and sweat like crazy standing still in the summer heat. Cruising is out, day sails are getting cramped. All this has been intensified by age and assoicated medications. I have come to the realization, that for me personally, here in NC, boating will be a 6+ months situation: spring, fall, selected cooler days in summer and warmer days in winter. I'd consider night sailing, as I did years ago, but now the crabbers have taken over the river with crab pots everywhere, and you can't see them at night. Not ready to give up sailing by any means, however.
Old 06-14-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The Admiral has the same problem. I can tolerate the sun, heat and humidity fairly well, but she's a light-skinned redhead and absolutely cannot. It's usually not a problem when we're actually out on the lake when there's decent air, but getting to/from the lake is an approximately 45 min. trip at 3-4 kts. (No wake zone most of the way.) Particularly in the late afternoon, coming back, it can be quite punishing. Plus our boat can't mount a bimini while in operation because the boom's too low.

Jim
Old 06-14-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
up here on the western end of lake superior we have had cold rain & fog most days for several weeks now. i would be glad to see it get up to 75 but not over 80 (with low humidity)
Old 06-14-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I live in Southern Florida, but having being raised in New Hampshire, it took me a few years to get used to the heat, sun, and humidity. With the rainy season upon us and heat indexes in the 104-108F range, staying cool in the sweltering weather takes careful thought.

I think the heat of the day is between 1pm-3pm so I work hard to be under cover and within range of a breeze during that time. A bimini or dodger can lower the perceived temps by 10F, an awning over the cabin can do the same, and a breeze or fan can make things more tolerable.

During the dog hours, I'm under shade, drinking liquids, leaving anything more physical than breathing or reading for cooler hours, and relaxing.

Being under shade on a boat doesn't exclude one from using proper sun block, though. And it seems to me that the sun here in SoFlo beats harder on my thinning hair than further north.

Old 06-14-2010
Lies about her age

reflected sun can fry one while in shade.. this I know very well!

my current "project"!
Old 06-14-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Denise,

I grew up in Central Jersey, then after school lived in various areas around Philly, and now am in Ocean City. When I lived in Philly, I would go and visit my parents in South Florida, and find it was cooler there than at home - at least it felt that way because of the breeze.
Try the shore - Barnegat Bay is a good place to sail, and a lot cooler too. You wouldn't be able to get to your boat in 10 minutes, but you might enjoy it more than you are now.
Old 06-14-2010
Lies about her age

it's been said to live around here in SE PA one can live anywhere and be cooler LOL. Ottos, I hear ya but the closeness means allot to me for now. I doubt my 5 draft would do very well on the barny and there's the inlet from hell LOL

my current "project"!
Old 06-14-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Since I gave up air conditioning over a year ago I do a lot better with the heat, counter-intuitive I know, but true! I used to be one of those people who ran from air conditioned island (vehicle) to air conditioned island (store) and only braved the heat (outdoors) when I had no choice. Summer was pretty miserable when it got really hot. Now that I'm not in the air conditioning all the time I don't really notice the heat until it gets north of about 90F, and I can stand more than that. Now stepping into air conditioning at a store is refreshing instead of necessary. I know it sounds horrible, but I recommend it, you really do get used to it after a while.

Please support my