Delaware Bay/River Upper Chesapeake get together September? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
We wandered down to Delaware City over the weekend and checked out Crabby Dick's. Seemed OK - not fancy, but reasonable prices and good view of the Delaware from their outdoor deck. We ate on the deck and had such a nice time that we forgot to go inside to look around.

It looked like a sleepy little town. There was a wedding reception or other private event going on in the marina. My friend at work still talks about crime concerns, and said that the marina and boats kept there are very run down. I did not see that - the marina was redone a few years ago, and there were some gorgeous large sailboats there.

Ulladh and Denise - Do you have any experience getting in and out of the "old canal"? The chart shows 1-3 feet at the entrance:

A friend at my marina said he cannot even get his little runabout in there at low tide. But he's been pushing hard to get me to buy his used dinghy, and looks for every excuse he can. Sure enough, after his little lecture on the shallow water, he said, "You need to buy my dinghy to get in there."

OTOH, the ferry to Pea Patch island seems to run at all times of the day, so there must be some water there. (Maybe I could call the ferry and ask them if they have to restrict their operating times due to the tides.)

So have you guys taken your boats in there before? Do you have a GPS track that is proven to work? Obviously if we try to "ride the tide" downriver (and up the next day) we may be hitting that canal near low tide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-26-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I've never tried to get into Delaware City by boat. some of the guys in my YC always go there on the way to the Chessy.. it's a cute little town though.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2010

Hey guys, any updated plans for this September? Maybe we'll be down to the high 80s by then!

I've got my boom sitting in my house doing some DIY repairs. The front boom sheaves fell off their shaft last Sunday, causing me to lose my reef, outhaul, and topping lift all at the same time. I was in a hurry to get it fixed, but this weather has me taking my time.

But I'm looking to better days ahead, and hopefully our first cruise with you guys in September.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 07-25-2010

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Would like to make it.
Sail up from Lewes is a bit of a haul,
so if we can make it, will probably drive.

Dick
Old 07-25-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We'll try to join you as well; by boat or car depending on the tides whichever weekend is chosen.
Old 07-27-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I have been occupied with income generating tasks for the past few weeks and have only been on the water once in the past two weeks.

The entrance to Delaware City has been dredged, not sure what the depth is but larger sailboats don't seem to have a problem.

Any preference for early or late September. I prefer late but I am open to suggestions.

Depending on weather I will sail down riding the ebb tide at least to Wilmington so my prefered Friday sail will be
Friday 3rd departing Essington at 8:45am
Friday 17th departing Essington at 9:00am
October 1st departing Essington at 7:15am

This is just what is easy for me the other Fridays in September will be a departure before dawn, OK but not a preference.

Last edited by Ulladh; 07-27-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Summit North Marina is very nice, I stayed there once. It has a great place to eat

Summit North Marina

Aqua * Sol Restaurant

I work in Newark, so DE City, Bear, Chesapeake City are my backyard.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-27-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Depending on participation from each end of the C&D canal;
Delware City if the Delware Bay prevails.
Chesapeake City if Chesapeake Bay prevails.
Summit North if it is a tie.
Old 07-28-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Depending on participation from each end of the C&D canal;
Delware City if the Delware Bay prevails.
Chesapeake City if Chesapeake Bay prevails.
Summit North if it is a tie.
I have no opinion of my own

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-28-2010

The weekend of Oct. 1 will not work for me. Sept. 3 is Labor Day weekend - not a problem for me, but might be for others. Sept. 17 weekend is also OK.

Lori has to teach lab on Friday afternoons, and is not allowed to take time off from that, so if we come by boat it will have to be down on Saturday, back on Sunday (or Labor Day, if you pick that weekend). And that will only be if conditions are right, since we're not real experienced with adverse conditions. If we can't come by boat, we'll definitely come down for dinner Friday or Saturday.