Delaware Bay/River Upper Chesapeake get together September? - Page 21 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
So hey? was the trip good Rick? But I told you not to go against the flow! (happened to me 2 yrs ago LOL) Gawd, that's a slog pushing against 3-5 knots the wrong way! And you didn't even need to drop the hook!

I love watching boats trying to enter the cove when they aren't aware of how the current will sweep them past the entrance. "there goes another"!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
So hey? was the trip good Rick? But I told you not to go against the flow! (happened to me 2 yrs ago LOL) Gawd, that's a slog pushing against 3-5 knots the wrong way!
The trip was great! As Colin said, conditions were perfect for the sail down.

In the future I'm going to pay a lot more attention to NOAA's current tables, and not so much to the tides. Everyone says that the canal flows to the west on flood, but it's not that simple. I think there's a pretty significant time lag vs. the Delaware's flood. (For example, IIRC Reedy Point low tide was around 13:40 on Friday, but slack on the canal not until ~17:30.) I figured that out for the trip back and timed it just right. I wish I had given Colin some of my gas before I left, but I've done so little motoring - and was uncertain how many hours it would take - that I really did not know what my gas economy would be like. I have a lot better idea about that now.

Colin - Did you notice whether the town dock in Delaware City was open yet? I might be tempted to try a daysail down there for lunch if the weather and currents are perfect one weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-22-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
No problem Rick

I wanted to stop at Delaware City anyway to check the actual dredge depth.

The dredge channel at the entrance to the old canal is very narrow. I came through close to high tide and and was getting between 7 and 15 ft on the sounder as I came in from Red 6A on a direct line to the Green daymark at the entrance. The entrance could use more than one day marker. On exit I took a line center of old canal and parallel to the ferry dock to the refinery dredge channel 35ft+ depth then turned to Red 6A and saw not less than 12ft on the sounder as I exited.

I would suggest for entering Delaware City stay in the refinery channel past Red 6A until you have a visual range into the old canal and stay centered on the canal as you enter, keep an eye on your sounder the entire way.

The partialy sunk dredge boat is still sitting in the town dock basin, and no boats at town dock. The government dock was in use (official use only), and marine police boats were at the ferry dock.

I stopped at the marina fuel dock for about an hour, and could have stayed longer. Cannot say for sure but I get the impression that if there is space you only pay if overnighting.

I did not hit the peak ebb tide until Cherry Island Flats, boat motor speed dropped from 4.5 to 2.5 until past Chester Island the I was back to 4.5 my normal motor speed close to slack.

Going slow along Cherry Island flats I noticed the edge (25ft riseing to 12ft)is well defined with a line of crab trap floats green can to green can. I hugged the edge of the flats to reduce travel distance.

DELAWARE CITY MARINA - WELCOME!

Current in refinery channel

Old 09-22-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Colin & Rick,

This is cruel after reading your slogs on the Delaware, but:

We rode that at least half way down the bay to Annapolis, before the Chesapeake brought a brutal 0.4 knot foul current to the bow. (under power)
Old 09-22-2010

Anything less than 1 knot current I call slack tide.
Old 09-22-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
after a few years now I just don't even think of trying to go against the flow.. the ships, barges and tugs use the flow, so it's just good sense to use it for sailboats

Last year coming back from the bay in when we reached Riverside area we were motor sailing with the flow doing about 9 mph. According to the handheld gps I have. I loved that!

my current "project"!
Old 09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
after a few years now I just don't even think of trying to go against the flow.. the ships, barges and tugs use the flow, so it's just good sense to use it for sailboats

Last year coming back from the bay in when we reached Riverside area we were motor sailing with the flow doing about 9 mph. According to the handheld gps I have. I loved that!
Most of what we do is daysailing with restricted hours due to work schedules. When we can turn around at slack water to go both ways with the current, we do that. But sometimes the timing will not allow that, and I try to beat with the current and run/reach against it if the wind is right. For example, yesterday evening was gorgeous, so I headed to the boat straight from work and Lori (who was dying to sail since we motored all day Sunday) met me there. We sailed from 5-7 pm, but slack water wasn't until around 7:30. So we beat downriver at 5 knots with the current, and ran/reached back against the slowing current at around 3.5 knots. So it can be done with planning and a little luck.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 09-22-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Oh sorry, I was meaning when traveling the river. my bad.. of course for day and evenings it's not a big issue. sometimes it's fun sailing without any headway.. (good to do some fishing I'd guess)

my current "project"!
Old 09-22-2010

Sailing without headway is what I do best.

But sometimes not a good place to be close the shipping channel.

A few years ago when I still had my leaky stinky Volvo inboard, I was sailing with minimal headway under the Commodore Barry main span with a tug/barge behind me. No problem I thought, turn the motor on and get out of the way. Motor turns over, no start, try again, nothing. Wake from the tug/barge has the potential to push me against the bridge pier.

A quick 180 and I am going in a controled drift with the current clear of the channel.

Rick when we left Essington on friday I was about to go under the Commodore Barry and a tug-tow-barge was approaching, I changed coures to go under the span between bridge pier and Chester fishing pier rather than be between the barge and bridge rip-rap.

Old 09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...Rick when we left Essington on friday I was about to go under the Commodore Barry and a tug-tow-barge was approaching, I changed coures to go under the span between bridge pier and Chester fishing pier rather than be between the barge and bridge rip-rap...
I noticed that you stayed out of the main span. I just assumed you were trying to get a pic of the soccer stadium. From where I was I could not see that the barge was that close to you.

I went through the main span, but the wind died right as I was approaching and the current pushed me right toward the warning bouy. It made for a few nervous moments: