Delaware Bay/River Upper Chesapeake get together September? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Tentatively meet-up Saturday evening September 18.
Travel time Friday or Saturday

Alternate meet-up Sunday afternoon September 19.
Travel time Saturday.

Rhythm
We can depart Essington together Saturday morning, maybe an informal race to Delaware City. Motor allowed when in the shipping channel or if we find ourselves sailing backwards.
Old 07-28-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
We can depart Essington together Saturday morning, maybe an informal race to Delaware City. Motor allowed when in the shipping channel or if we find ourselves sailing backwards.
That's great! I hope conditions are good. We still have not overnighted on the boat, and Lori will be very reluctant if we have a hot, soupy night like we've had lately. But assuming we can make it, thanks for your offer to sail together. There's safety in numbers!

However, from what I've seen of your transom design, you'd have a significant advantage sailing backwards! So the offer to let me motor is definitely appreciated. Looking over the tide tables, we should be able to ride the tide down river that day. Departure time on Sunday may be tricky, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2010

Rhythm
Sunday return is going to be a hard slog even if the wind is in favour.
Depart Delaware City at 1 hr before sunrise (should be twilight if not overcast), will give us at least 3 hrs with the tide to between Newcastle and Wilmington then maybe 1 hr of slack. Then it will be motor or motor sail against the tide the rest of the way.

I would rather not be in the section of the river between Newcastle and Delaware City in the dark. Travel in the water between Bulkhead Shoal and Delaware is navigation by depth sounder. Travel on the NJ side of Bulkhead Shoal is in the shipping channel with shallow water both sides and a series of turns.
Old 07-28-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Will try to join in September. Delaware City is our favorite (because we can fit in there) and good facilities with restaurant. Summit North has left us stuck in the mud one too many times to bite that hook ever again. Have never tried Chesapeake City, but have heard that the entrance to Engineer's Cove is shoal (<6')

If we are the only deep draft it is not worth deciding on our preferences, but FWIW there it is.

Any more on the dredge at Delaware City or better info on Chessapeake City would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2010

Delaware City basin was scheduled for dredging this summer to be completed by September 1.

I have contacted Delaware City marina for current information and transient slip availability September 17 through 19.
Old 07-28-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Just checking in!

I finally had a chance to use my new (used) sails! woo hoo! it's like having a new boat!

Dredging? ew.

Wayne yes Chesapeake city is my fav place to stop. but you need to hug the city docks to get in. the cove is shallow but most boats don't have problems.

Doesn't look I"m going anywhere with my boat this season. Sigh..

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
I'll do my homework whether or not I can push my boat into the basin. I'd love to anchor in there if it is reasonably doable. I'm posting a vector and raster format chart of the basin.

Any comments on the accuracy of the stated depths inside? I have herd that there is a shoal bar across the entrance. That makes sense, given the current through the ditch. The charts seem to be "silent" on that rumor though. If anyone goes in, please post the entry depths and time of day, or state of tide. I'm not likely to try it before the event and a not anxious to have the Delaware Bay SailNet contingent "hooting and howling" at me stuck in the mud during the cocktail hour.

Old 07-28-2010

The Chesapeake anchorage basin was schedule for dredge this summer. I don't know if it is complete.
Old 07-28-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Rhythm
...I would rather not be in the section of the river between Newcastle and Delaware City in the dark. Travel in the water between Bulkhead Shoal and Delaware is navigation by depth sounder. Travel on the NJ side of Bulkhead Shoal is in the shipping channel with shallow water both sides and a series of turns.
Well that got me checking out the chart to see what hazards lurk there. I agree that going out in the dark is to be avoided almost anywhere that has so much shipping traffic. But when I looked at Bulkhead Shoal Channel a little closer I was a little less intimidated. I'm used to staying in the "white water" sections on the NOAA charts just to be safe, and the white is very narrow there. But if you're willing to venture into the 6-18 foot depths there is quite a bit of tacking space between the underwater dike and the 2-foot-deep shoal once you're up toward Hamburg cove. And if we're lucky enough to get SW or even W winds, we could go up river with hardly any tacking at all. And since most of the shipping traffic goes east of the island, it should be relatively clear sailing.

Of course all of this is only as good as the accuracy of the charts (and my little Garmin GPS). Are there uncharted hazards that you are aware of?

That little handheld GPS has been some of the best money I've spent. I look at it more than the depth sounder, because it shows me what's coming up instead of what's already under me.

And as far as the tide schedule, I'm finding that my own observations of the currents at the surface are consistently lagging the published schedules for Philly and Wanamaker Bridge by about 1.5-2 hours - enough so that I wrote my own customizable tide clock routine in Excel that I keep on my Blackberry. The depth sensors at Philly show that the tide peaks right at their predicted times, so the net flow of water is following the schedules. But I wonder if the surface water changes direction a little later, while the water near the bottom of the river changes direction earlier. Have you seen any hydrology studies on this? I recall reading about something like this happening on the Hudson. Bottom line, Sunday's predicted high tide of 1046 near Essington could lead to favorable currents as late as 1300 or so. But of course, we could have unfavorable currents heading out if the surface currents near Delaware City lag similarly.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-28-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Wayne! what's your draft? You didn't say. My O30 is 5ft I've never had a prob in the cove. just last year coming out at low tide I forgot to stay near the city seawall and got bogged down. You can tie up to the city docks too. first come first serve it's free, and they have a few free slips way back that are also free. but its not often they are empty.

I would suggest a stern anchor in the cove too, the boats can swing quite a bit .

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.