Delaware Bay/River Upper Chesapeake get together September? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Information from Delaware City Marina, transient slips are available for the weekend September 17 through 19.

The town dock offers limited visits with no services and no overnight dockage.

Delaware City Marina has significant water depth, about 9 foot at MLLW and a 6' tide on top of that. The last reported depth at the entrance to the town basin near green day mark one was about 7' at MLLW. Since there is 6' of tide, the water depth increases about 1 foot every hour of a rising tide.

The town dock is being dredged now but progress is slow and there is NO overnight dockage available at the town dock. The town dock is not in service now as the gangway has been removed while the dredge crew works.
Old 07-29-2010

Rhythm
I can't answer question on the hydrology of the river, just my observations.
The high amd low out of sync with the projections may be more to do with our strange slack tides.
At Essington I have observed slack tide lasting close to 3 hrs, or just 15 mins.
An occasional strange event is a 1 foot high tidal bore separating the flood tide from the ebb tide, usually starts near the Corinthian Yacht Club and breaks up near the abandoned Westinghouse sluice gate just up river from Anchorage Marina.
Old 07-29-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...The town dock is being dredged now but progress is slow and there is NO overnight dockage available at the town dock. The town dock is not in service now as the gangway has been removed while the dredge crew works.
Sounds pretty much like it was a month ago when I drove down to visit. The dredge boat was sinking, presumably because one of its pontoons had partially filled with water. As you pointed out, even when the town dock is operational, there are signs all over that overnight docking is prohibited. So the marina is the only option for overnight stays.

The only other complaint I have heard about Delaware City is odors from the nearby petrochemical plant when the wind is the wrong direction. Valero shut that plant down, but sold it recently, so I'm not sure if it's running again yet. Have you heard anything about that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2010

The Delaware City DE and Paulsboro NJ Valero Refineries was mothballed by Valero last year.
Petroplus a Dutch company took control of the Delaware City Refinery early this year and have been upgrading the facility.
I suspect if the wind is out of the north it will still smell even with upgrades.
The only dredged part of the bulkhead shoal channel is from the C&D entrance to the refinery dock.
From the refinery dock up river to Newcastle the channel and shoals are where the river wants them to be.
Old 07-29-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Information from Delaware City Marina, transient slips are available for the weekend September 17 through 19.

The town dock offers limited visits with no services and no overnight dockage...
I have overnighted at Delaware City Marina a couple of times. I didn't even realize that there was a separate site, "Town Dock".

That said - the Delaware City Marina was quite nice, but $2.00 per foot as I recall. It is well back in the old canal and the canal width makes turning larger boats a task that requires some extra attention (though not difficult). The current can be a couple of knots so the bow-to-current orientation makes docking a little easier.

I will not "openly" challenge their 7-ft MLW claim, but it is not unusual for people driving shallow draft craft (or renting dock space) to report good deep water on approach. I go in on the half tide - favoring the green as advised and see ~7-ft even then. Once in the old canal depths range 9-14-ft. And of course there is no place to anchor inside.

Denise - my boat draws (every inch of) 6'2".

Ulladh - thanks for the research.
Old 07-29-2010

Delaware City town dock is in the basin at the entrance to the old lock gates. Free to tie up, but not overnight, and not open until the dredge is complete.

A few minutes walk to Crabby Dicks, very nice resturant in the old Delaware City Hotel, with a deck overlooking the seawall and Pea Patch Island.

Nearby the Three Forts Ferry, well worth the trip to Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island. We took the ferry and visted Fort Delaware last year, I usually don't take re-enactors very well, but the group on Fort Delaware were excellent.
Old 07-31-2010

The meet-up will be Saturday September 18 at Delaware City or Chesapeake City.

Post your preference and I will start to make arrangements after August 18.
Full vote if traveling by water, half vote if by land.
Old 07-31-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ulla - dude, you guys should have a race on your GR course. You're getting lapped by those Maryland chumps!

Kick butt and take pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-31-2010

Rhythm
I had a very relaxing backward sail this morning, my canoe stern gives the option of two bows, no wind but a gentle controled drift with the tide. As the tidal current builds and I surrender to the river, come about, then there was just enough appearent wind to create some directional control.
You just have to love this river.
Smack
I am devoting this coming week to a day with a breeze, I don't care if it is under 5 knots, and if I need to leave the slip at sunrise to get the right tide I will.
At this point I don't care what my course speed is, just complete the course. The forecast wind speed today was under 5 knots, but the tide was just right, I could have drift around the course at the speed I was going in about 6 hours.

Last edited by Ulladh; 07-31-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Ulladh - We've been in VA all weekend visiting my son at Jamboree, so unable to sail. I was a little frustrated at missing some good sailing weather, but your description sounds like we picked a good weekend to miss.

We've been very lucky that aside from one calm day in April, we've never had a day when we could not sail both ways. We've always been able to make headway against the current, or planned our timing to change direction at the same time as the tide.

I'll have to study the GR rules, plan a course, and study the tide schedules. If I time the currents right I might be able to post a pretty impressive time. I know from our GPS traces that the currents can make our windward tacks look almost impossible - maybe around ±20°. I'll have to dig some of them up and post them, because they look pretty crazy.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)