Delaware Bay/River Upper Chesapeake get together September? - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010

2redtrek is on a distinguished road
Engineers Cove

I was aground in Engineers Cove at the city dock in mid June,I need 4 foot of water and it did not matter where at the entrance we went the water was too thin,also the locals told us that the 4 free slips in the rear of cove had less than 2 foot of water,hopefully thing have been addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Rhythm
OK with noon or late morning Sunday departure. Commodore Barry or even Marcus Hook to Essington after sunset is outside the main channel with a lot of light spill from the PA side. Just make a mental note of the new rip-rap at Commodore Barry as we go down river.

Dredge
We may have to wait until the dredge is complete later this month for good information on the entrance to the basin (I will contact town dock later this month for latest information, the dockmaster is currenty reporting a hump at the middle of the entrance).

Preliminary Events Schedule, weather dependent;
Friday night; meet at resturant/bar with deck
Saturday late afternoon through sunset; picnic (I will check with Town Hall for location)
Sunday morning; breakfast at resturant with deck.
Old 08-06-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Since slack water doesn't coincide with extremes of tide trying to work out currents from tide tables is unnecessarily hard.

NOAA has great tide tables online. I cut and paste relevant information into a document and print it to take along.

See Tidal Current Tables . The site has many more current stations listed than you'll find in Eldridge or such. Watch the directions of ebb and flood at the top of each location page so you don't have to worry about which direction counts as what in the canal.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2010

From Dock Master at Chesapeake City;
The basin has been dredged. The depth in the entrance at low mean water is 10' Enjoy your stay.
Old 08-06-2010

Auspicious
Thanks for the link, time to do some more study.
Old 08-06-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
there's the answer I needed! time to shop for a new boat! BIGGER! LOL not really.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
My friend who lives in Chesapeake City is likely to be able to join me for the trip down on Friday. He knows all these places and the people that run them pretty well, and has some opinions about the quality of restaurants/facilities and the business practices of the owners. He says getting a transient slip at Chesapeake Inn will be virtually impossible. He said if he were planning it he would go to Summit North due to better facilities, restaurant, and better management of the marina. It's also closer to the middle of the canal. The only downside is no anchoring there - we'd all need to get slips.

Was there a reason we knocked Summit North out of consideration?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-06-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
the cove is free "parking" is the best reason. I've heard summit has a shallow entry also. (imho) sailors can survive without paying fees to park for one night.

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-06-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
The 10 foot depth at entrance was the answer that I needed. Thanks for the research once again Ulladh and 1st hand experience report 2redtrek.

Once say, 6-8 boats arrive, is there a reasonably good chance there will be room in the anchorage in 8-ft depths for at least two of us? I'd hate to get "waved off" because the next stop for me would be Reedy Island for the night. Pardon me but, Ugh!

That was me - from personal, 1st hand experience offering the shallow water pox on Summit North Marina. That said - there is no reason for a Chesapeake deep draft boat to nix a Delaware SailNetters location. We could join you for the next one, if SNM is the best choice.

You CAN get in SNM on the tide, but will set at list in the mud almost half of your stay if you draw 6' or more. Each time I pass I radio and ask the approach depth and add another 6" of draft to my requirements. They inevitably say "plenty of water - hail us once inside for slip assignment". I am now 7'6" deep. I think they mean "plenty of water" in the x & y dimension - not so much in z.

Dave I will plan to arrive Friday about 6:00 pm to maximize the tide and hit pretty close to slack water before ebb at the bar. We anchor at 39°21.93' x 75°58.69' in Turner Cove of the Sassafras R. the night prior if interested in a raft-up.

Last edited by wwilson; 08-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2010

I should be arriving late afternoon Friday and will anchor.

Perhaps shallower draft boats, I draw 4ft, should do a loop of the basin and select an anchorage clear of the deeper sections of the basin. The dredge contract for the basin called for 10' MLLW with 1' overcut.

Chesapeake City is free anchorage, no dinghy dock fee, and more intersesting stuff to do within walking distance than Delaware City or Summit North.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.