Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
I'm confused about throwable life saving devices.

Does a lifesling count as the required throwable device for a boat over 40 ft? Their packaging says coast guard approved, but not exactly what it's approved for. I've been sailing for the last couple of years assuming it did, but a few things I read make me wonder...
Beneteau 423 #310
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Seems to me the proper people to ask are:
a) The Coast Guard or
b) LifeSling.
Old 06-16-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Yes; it does.
Old 06-16-2010

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
Thanks KeelHaulin!
Beneteau 423 #310
Old 06-17-2010

dboy4ever is on a distinguished road
As long as it's a Class IV device, yeah it counts. And I don't see how LifeSling can be categorized for any other class other than IV.
Old 06-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, the Lifesling is probably the best Type IV device to have aboard. However, IMHO, it should not be the ONLY Type IV device aboard. Having at least two or three of the cushions that you can throw out there is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVlagniappe View Post
Does a lifesling count as the required throwable device for a boat over 40 ft? Their packaging says coast guard approved, but not exactly what it's approved for. I've been sailing for the last couple of years assuming it did, but a few things I read make me wonder...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
As the requirement is for a type iv device, the Lifesling stamped as a type iv would meet the requirement. I never rely on a Lifesling as a thowable device, as which it serves poorly at best, and always keep a cushion type iv under hand, regardless of the letters of the regulation...the magic of the Lifesling is for recovery if needed.
Old 06-17-2010

ulferlingsson is on a distinguished road
An advice for all who like me often sail alone: Who is going to throw the class IV device to you if you fall overboard?

When I am concerned about falling overboard, but not enough to have the harness on even in the cockpit, I let out a small buoy or fender in a rope after the boat. The rope is best tied on the windward side, so that if you fall overboard and grab it, the boat will steer to the windeye and stop.
Old 06-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're not concerned enough to wear a harness and use a tether, then don't bother leaving lines over the side. If the boat is moving at more than two knots, it is very unlikely that you'll be able to hold on long enough to affect a self-recovery. IMHO, the number one rule of singlehanding is STAY ON THE BOAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulferlingsson View Post
An advice for all who like me often sail alone: Who is going to throw the class IV device to you if you fall overboard?

When I am concerned about falling overboard, but not enough to have the harness on even in the cockpit, I let out a small buoy or fender in a rope after the boat. The rope is best tied on the windward side, so that if you fall overboard and grab it, the boat will steer to the windeye and stop.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I let out a small buoy or fender in a rope after the boat.
With respect, that is so dangerous. Sailingdog is right, if you fall overboard you will not be able to catch the line unless you fall right on it and are aware enough to grab it. Even then, the line would have to be 30' long to do any good.

As an experiment, sail with an able crew member at 3+kts since no one falls overboard in calm weather (except me). Stream the line from the windward side and then jump off the leeward side and see if you can get to the line. A similar situation happened to me and I was lucky to grab a jib sheet on my way into the water. We were doing 3 kts and I could not drag myself on board. My wife had to luff up first.

IMO, the best thing that you can do while single handing is to purchase an auto-inflatable jacket w/harness and wear it. Store a plastic whistle and a couple of light sticks in the pouch. Maybe a PLB too. If the boat is heeling > 15 deg, clip in.

Seriously, that line will do you no good.