Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Tampa, St. Pete or Clearwater area folks...need your help!

Hey folks,

So I've been a right coast boater for 3 years or so. We've lived in Fort Lauderdale in a neighborhood with canals about 45 minutes inland, deep water with 55' of bridge clearance. Its perfect for our B343.

Well, fate has it, just as we're getting comfortable work may be moving us to the left coast! Jobs will likely be in Oldsmar. I'd like to have the same setup we have here...but a newer house. Oh, and schools may matter soon...kiddos someday soon!

So here's what I'm looking for in a waterfront community

1) Deep water (more than 6 feet)
2) Close to an inlet or cut for Gulf sailing access
3) No issues with bridge height...or a minimum of 55 feet bridge height (prefer 65)
4) Good seawalls...steel with concrete caps.
5) Newer construction...our house is currently 50 years old, and yeah, I'm done remodeling!
6) Within 30 minutes daily commute to Oldsmar during rush hour

So what neighborhoods fit the bill here? Our budget is less than $600k for deep water access.

Anyone heard or live in Apollo Beach?
Old 06-16-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Oldsmar is not as water friendly as Apollo Beach where there are many short sale homes. Are you looking to rent or buy?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor50 View Post
Oldsmar is not as water friendly as Apollo Beach where there are many short sale homes. Are you looking to rent or buy?
Definitely buy in this market...
Old 06-16-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Apollo Beach is a nice little town, but I doubt that you could commute to Oldsmar in anything less than an hour from there during rush hour.

Perhaps a home somewhere on the intracoastal in between Clearwater and Tarpon Springs.
I have worked in marinas and private slips all up and down that area, but I can't speak to all your criterion.

I don't pay much attention to the housing stuff myself, but my sister is a real estate agent in St Pete. If you would like her info, pm me.
Old 06-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Apollo Beach is a nice little town, but I doubt that you could commute to Oldsmar in anything less than an hour from there during rush hour.

Perhaps a home somewhere on the intracoastal in between Clearwater and Tarpon Springs.
I have worked in marinas and private slips all up and down that area, but I can't speak to all your criterion.

I don't pay much attention to the housing stuff myself, but my sister is a real estate agent in St Pete. If you would like her info, pm me.

Wow - well scratch that!! An hour commute is something I'm trying to get away from right now.

I'll send a PM when the move is absolutely...but for now, I'm fact finding. What about areas like Palm Harbor. Just seems like there is a lot of SKINNY SKINNY water

Tarpon Springs may be an option...what is the depth on the ICW on the left coast?
Old 06-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post

Wow - well scratch that!! An hour commute is something I'm trying to get away from right now.

I'll send a PM when the move is absolutely...but for now, I'm fact finding. What about areas like Palm Harbor. Just seems like there is a lot of SKINNY SKINNY water

Tarpon Springs may be an option...what is the depth on the ICW on the left coast?
Old 06-17-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
And here I thought I had it rough with 3.3 miles for travel to work. via two different routes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 06-17-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
We draw 6' and were in the Anclote river in Tarpon Springs. During the spring tides while we were there, we sat on the bottom with a 25 degree heel.

Old 06-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
We draw 6' and were in the Anclote river in Tarpon Springs. During the spring tides while we were there, we sat on the bottom with a 25 degree heel.
We're 4'9"...shoal draft, so hopefully things should be ok on that front.

What about neighborhoods and pricing? What does a home on the river run in Tarpon Springs?
Old 06-17-2010

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
55' Bridge height, along with all the other desires/requirments, really restricts you to somewhere north of the Clearwater Causway bridge to Tarpon Springs. There are several paths out to open water from there and still reasonable distance from Oldsmar.

You can usually expect 9' in the ICW but many waterfront homes don't have that kind of water at the dock or access to the dock at anything but high tide. I work for a jet boat/watercraft dealership (don't hate me!) and we have many customers who need high tide to get their jet boats out ....... they draw 12".

The Dunedin area is nice but not much in the way of waterfront you could use, some but not much.

Another alternative is Tierra Verde or Vina Del Mar Island; great Gulf access but a long way from Oldsmar.

Palm Harbor and Crystal Beach would be great but the water is really shallow up there ...............

Good Luck with your search, this is a great place to live.

DB