Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Don't twist my words smack. I complimented Ronnie on hanging with the boat this time. If you don't think there is a difference in 5 knots & 15 while going up the Ca. coast. Then you just don't know, and won't for a long time. I don't think he would have made S.F if there was the normal 15-20 knots. He may have made it back to San Diego by going with it, the weather.

No one can blame Ronnie for the loss of the keel, that's sailing, and it was someone else's work. When you eventually get off the lake, and put down some 20k miles in the ocean. Possibly then you will understand Ronnie hasn't done a thing to become a legend. He has done good, but nothing more than what many have done before him, and will after. It's obvious your standards, and mine are completely different. BEST WISHES in the future, and figuring out where to draw the line of honesty, and dishonesty. You seem to be a wee bit blurred......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
You're wasting your time, Smack. It's 1960 in Yosemite ... right? On this side, Harding, Robbins, Chouinard, Herbert. On that side, pipe-smoking Sierra Clubbers pontificating about "unjustifiable risks". Throw down your ropes from Heart Ledge: The way down is over the summit. I'll meet you there.

Ever hear of the Crab Bucket? Crabs are good climbers. But you needn't put a lid on a crab bucket, because if one crab tries to climb out, the others will grab its legs and pull it back into the bucket. That is what is going on in this thread. Also known in EnZed as Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Ronnie's given to hyperbole and self-promotion. But he did what he said he would, raced solo to Hawaii (taking second in class) and then brought a keelless boat 800 miles into SF Bay under its own power. Different risk calculus -- all of this was cake compared to Dawn Patrol, Fallujah. Certain crabs whose notion of adventure is motoring up and down the ICW, then maybe a quick dash (motoring) to the Bahamas, want to pull him back in. Though I haven't yet done diddly on the ocean, I'd rather push the bold crab over the edge and shout, "Alright Ronnie! Now give us a claw, dude. I'm coming with you."

I got lots of time for people who do what they say they are going to, and who stake their ass as ante. I got no time for people who seek to minimize others' achievements to mask their own lack of same, or who hide their own risk aversion beneath a pallid face of wisdom.

We remember Harding, Robbins, Chouinard, and Herbert. Who were those Sierra Club guys again?
Old 08-21-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I bet the owner of the boat is very relieved, and must have been enduring a lot of anxiety over this...Mainly for the safety and welfare of the two sailors aboard....but I bet its nice to get his boat back as well...

What is that 1" thick looking material in the photos?...It almost looks like steel or lead...could be foam I guess...doesn't look like Glass or wood...to cleanly sheared for that

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
You're wasting your time, Smack. It's 1960 in Yosemite ... right? On this side, Harding, Robbins, Chouinard, Herbert. On that side, pipe-smoking Sierra Clubbers pontificating about "unjustifiable risks". Throw down your ropes from Heart Ledge: The way down is over the summit. I'll meet you there.

Ever hear of the Crab Bucket? Crabs are good climbers. But you needn't put a lid on a crab bucket, because if one crab tries to climb out, the others will grab its legs and pull it back into the bucket. That is what is going on in this thread. Also known in EnZed as Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Ronnie's given to hyperbole and self-promotion. But he did what he said he would, raced solo to Hawaii (taking second in class) and then brought a keelless boat 800 miles into SF Bay under its own power. Different risk calculus -- all of this was cake compared to Dawn Patrol, Fallujah. Certain crabs whose notion of adventure is motoring up and down the ICW, then maybe a quick dash (motoring) to the Bahamas, want to pull him back in. Though I haven't yet done diddly on the ocean, I'd rather push the bold crab over the edge and shout, "Alright Ronnie! Now give us a claw, dude. I'm coming with you."

I got lots of time for people who do what they say they are going to, and who stake their ass as ante. I got no time for people who seek to minimize others' achievements to mask their own lack of same, or who hide their own risk aversion beneath a pallid face of wisdom.

We remember Harding, Robbins, Chouinard, and Herbert. Who were those Sierra Club guys again?
+100000000000000

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-21-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Regardless of experience, I tip my hat to the guy for making it home and saving the boat. That is how one acquires experience, I guess.

Meanwhile, this thread seems to be repeating itself. Is there really anything that hasn't been said? Just wondering....

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 08-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I don't think anyone said "pickles".

Old 08-21-2010

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Come on now Apollo 13? That's just not right. 800 miles from shore with all kinds of freighters floating around, helicopters available, and other sources cannot compare to Apollo 13.

I think this is the kind of bragging crap that gets this thread, and other Ronnie threads rolling. He didn't get the predictable, and predicted 15 -20 knots from the N.W. This is how he made it he got a favorable turn in the weather, and as I typed. We all hope for something to go in our favor in a tight spot. You can give credit for what he had accomplished, but you can't blow it out of poportion.

Yes I did know about Ronnie's service to our country. I was exchanging e-mail with Ronnie before he left San Diego, so I was here from the beginning. As far as being rescued. I had that chance, and turned it down to stay with my boat after being disabled in Mexico between Magdellena, and Cabo single-handing.

3 weeks ago my little 4ft 9in wife handled the boat for 24 hours while I was recovering from the pain in my head. Caused by what is now the size of half a tennis ball behind my ear. We were in the ITCZ where it gets a wee bit ugly, and turned back after we passed Isla Malpelo. This ain't hero stuff this is sailing. SAILING IS NOT ALWAYS A SLICK MAGAZINE COVER, it's a full contact sport. Sailing rivers, lakes, and bays are one thing. Sailing Mother Nature is quite another, been there, and done that! Would you like to try again GBURTON?........i2f
Try what? Reason with you? No thanks. You obviously have some sort of vendetta/agenda against someone who made a mistake a few years ago and who is now trying to become a good sailor. Give it a rest.

Oh - and see a doctor about the half tennis ball sized lump behind your ear, that cant be good.
Old 08-21-2010

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Got any pictures of the lump? Sounds like an exaggeration
geddit?
Old 08-21-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'll say at least the guy made it back, no matter how!

As far as resizing the pics. Fuzzy helped me a few weeks back with a pic that was too wide, by saving the pics on a web hosting site, then in the process, scaling the pics down on that service provider. You might try that smack.

Marty
Old 08-21-2010
Last Man Standing

No can do bro. They are not my pics - but are linked from a dude's site who put them up on SA.