Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hang in there i2. Any word on what that beastie is? Jeez I just hope it's some weird infection.

As for Ronnie, okay the Apollo 13 thing MIGHT have been a little over the top. But, in his defense, he did give the credit to Ed for getting that thing home. He said he probably would have ditched if he'd been on his own.

But who cares about that at this point? Just focus on getting well dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2010

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Yup - just get well i2f! I f I was down in that area I would give you a ride.

Take care
Old 08-24-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I'll take the well wishes to be meant in good faith...thanks.

I am from the ghetto, E.St.Louis. E.Oakland, and a couple of others. Life has thrown me a load of crap for 59 yrs, but nothing has beat me yet. I'll be back this coming Dec. to prep Imagine to finish my sail to Hawaii, and home to the S.F. Bay area. She will be refurbished, and sail for the Philippines the following season where I will enjoy retirement for the 4th time. ..i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-24-2010

It is meant in good faith. I hope to do the single handed transpac in 2012 and if you're willing I will buy you a beer if you are still in the bay area or Hawaii around that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I'll take the well wishes to be meant in good faith...thanks.

I am from the ghetto, E.St.Louis. E.Oakland, and a couple of others. Life has thrown me a load of crap for 59 yrs, but nothing has beat me yet. I'll be back this coming Dec. to prep Imagine to finish my sail to Hawaii, and home to the S.F. Bay area. She will be refurbished, and sail for the Philippines the following season where I will enjoy retirement for the 4th time. ..i2f
Old 08-24-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
GBurton, are you currently a member of SSS? Iíve been thinking of doing the LongPac myself next year (if I donít do the Translant instead). Mrs. B isnít too wild about me doing the SHTP however. She wants us to keep the boat in shape for Mexico in a couple of years. If you are local to the Bay area, Iíd like to trade notes with you on boat prep etc.
Old 08-24-2010

Hi George -

No, I'm not currently a member. I'm up the coast a ways in Oregon. The way I'm selling it to my family is once I'm there they get to fly over to Hawaii for a vacation! Its working well
Old 08-24-2010
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
He'd have a better chance if he wasn't hauling that buoy around in the back of his boat.

j/k

Good luck Ronnie!
That's a number 2 windvane..
Old 08-30-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ronnie has a good write up on the keel failure over at SA:

Sailing Anarchy Home Page

That explains all the cracks we were seeing in the pics. Why the cracks though? Would the extra movement from a failing weld cause more stress on the hull/stringers? it seems like it should be the opposite.

Those dudes were lucky that the hull stayed tight.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-30-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
It does appear that Ed had much to do with the successful return. I doubt Ronnie would dispute this. But *whoever* was in command of the boat, Ronnie still gained some BIG experience that could help him in his future. Now, any bets if Ronnie will eventually get dismasted? He has lost just about everything below the waterline already. What's next??? Sorry Ronnie.

Ralph
Old 09-01-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Those dudes were lucky that the hull stayed tight.
And lucky that the winds were light, the seas remained calm, the wind directions remained favorable, and getting a huge fuel drop (for their motor-sail and to help ballast the hull). There was a huge amount of luck here; that nobody seems to mention or pay respect to. This year was an oddball for wind and weather offshore; the Pacific High was replaced by a weak low all summer and the winds were not the strong NNW that would normally make the return trip an upwind slog back to SF or LA.

I'm glad they made it back in without need for rescue; and that luck was on their side. Without the favorable conditions the outcome could have been a tragedy (regardless of Ronnie's experience level).