Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
I think the reason some of us go a little bit further to "defend" Ronnie is because of posts like the one above. Ronnie never set out to be a "hero" and I don't think he regards himself as such. Hes just a kid who decided to get out there and live his life to the max. You call him an idiot then say you would like to have a beer with him? And slap him?
Give yourself an uppercut
Bullshite.

If he didn't set out to be a 'hero' then why the website, the publicity push, the planned Documentrary....and as SD said timing his departure with the evening news??

That he DID set out to be a hero is the ONLY reason or basis that I feel we do have the right to criticize.......he wasn't a kid who quietly decided to sail off.......HE put himself in the public light.....he asked for and chased the publicity and well he got it.

Would you consider his attempted circumnavigation and level of preparation to not be idiotic???

Greg.... maybe you should look up the definition of enigma.
That I would like to have a beer with him and consider him both determined, interesting and also idiotic is what makes him enigmatic.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2011

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Bullshite.

If he didn't set out to be a 'hero' then why the website, the publicity push, the planned Documentrary....and as SD said timing his departure with the evening news??

That he DID set out to be a hero is the ONLY reason or basis that I feel we do have the right to criticize.......he wasn't a kid who quietly decided to sail off.......HE put himself in the public light.....he asked for and chased the publicity and well he got it.

Would you consider his attempted circumnavigation and level of preparation to not be idiotic???

Greg.... maybe you should look up the definition of enigma.
That I would like to have a beer with him and consider him both determined, interesting and also idiotic is what makes him enigmatic.

If the crime is having a website then you are going to have to reevaluate what you judge people on....there are literally thousands of travel blogs and websites out there. As for timing his departure to coincide with the evening news, could you post proof of this please?
Leaving with a level of preparation that is "idiotic"? That really is a good one.
You are going to have to call the Bumfuzzles idiots as well then. And anyone who goes for a sail without classes, all safety gear possible and 10 years of learning under a master mariner. Perhaps this could be you too?

edit: and irony of ironies, look at your signature ROTFLMAO
Old 01-21-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Wow. So yeah you do seriously consider that he was adequately prepared and experienced for the voyage.

The ocean appeared to disagree with you and him and the ocean is really the only opinion that does matter.

The reasons why he was 'idiotic' have been thrashed out a thousand times in this thread and I won't attempt to go into the differences here between his approach and the bumfuzzles.

I coincidentally haven't spend 10 years under a master mariner and have a modest boat limited experience and fairly large ambitions, however no one has had to risk their life in the middle of the ocean yet to rescue my sorry ass.

I believe in and live my signature every day I feel no need to prove it to you however.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ronnie Simpson Giving It Another Go

Check out who Ronnie is sailing with these days...

Open Blue Horizon - September 22, 2012- Newport, RI

I'd say Conner, Jobson, and Turner are pretty good mentors. Wow.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40