Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Yep. Hoping for position updates in the next hour. It looks like the first 24 hours were tough. This from the fastest guy out there...

From the 2010 SHTP site-Log Reports-

HECLA
"0930 Well the first night is always the worst! In the take-one-for-the-team department, just after roll call with all the head down computer work I was forced to revisit my lunch and dinner with little warning. It was otherwise a dark and slightly scary night, deeply reefed main and tiny headsail in 30 knots the boat still trucks right along. The wind out here is much more than forecast, but as I head SW it is moderating as expected. This morning I am sailing as deep as possible already in large surfing seas, unexpected before the first full day of this race is completed. Still a white headsail though, too much wind for a spinnaker. A few other sick tummies in the fleet, but we remind ourselves that the last half of the race is why we do this event! The weather forecast of the EPAC high is strange, I have chosen a classic route instead of the novel route suggested by routing software. The classic route is recommended by past winners, and when they speak, it is wise to listen."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Do you know what the seas were running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-21-2010
TROUBLE

About 4 meters at his last position, but he may be clear of that by now. Hopefully he has turned south overnight, or he's gonna be slowing down soon because of the high. Hey, he's out there getting some experience in offshore racing anyway. Go the Ronnie!

Old 06-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like it was seriously nasty out there at the start...waves to the second spreader? Yowza.

2010 SHTP - Log Reports

Quote:
RACE COMMITTEE
I’m still waiting for a complete comm boat report. They are transitioning as HECLA gets out of range. I have positions for Hecla, Second Verse and Southernaire. Bandicoot is back at the Richmond YC and has retired. Mirage is coming back in again due to insufficient electrons. Will post as soon as received.

SECOND VERSE
Yesterday was there was a lot of wind and big seas. In fact, for two hours there it was 34 kts sustaining with gusts to 38! The seas were above my second spreader! I have to admit for those two hours I wished I were somewhere else. Better now.

One of the blades of the wind generator ripped off! Gone! Well, there goes that power source, I will bring a spare set next time.

I have all this great food but I really have not eaten yet, just one apple and some jerky. I’ll try to force some food down today.

A tanker crossed my path last night when I was asleep. I called him up on VHF and asked if he ever saw me, nope! Oh well, no reason to worry about that now.

Once these seas calm down I’ll begin to tidy up, it is a mess in here! BTW, sleeping on the floor is not that bad, I got a full hour at one point last night, real good sleep, and I dreamed I was taking a hike with the kids.

Second Verse, signing off and searching for the sun and calm seas.

HECLA
Good Monday morning,
Sorry I did not get a blog out last night, had some issues.

The daytime was very good actually, the best news being I was hungry at lunch time meaning the end of the motion sickness. It was sunny occasionally and some things dried out, for a short while anyway. I fixed a great sauteed shrimp plate for dinner, and while enjoying that, and having launched the small spinnaker during a light air deep reach afternoon, the masthead spin halyard block exploded, also damaging some other components on the mast including the main halyard clutch. This cost me some time and a great deal of energy retrieving the large colorful shrimp net from beneath the boat. It is also a serious performance hit for which I have not yet developed a plan. There is a spare but undersized block up there that I can rig from deck but I expect another blowout. Stay tuned.

I am also experiencing difficult satellite phone connections so I often can not send or retrieve emails on a timely basis. Maybe the other boats are hogging our local satellite!

Old 06-21-2010
TROUBLE

He's hangin tough! Ronnie's first blog from sea...June 21, 2010 | Open Blue Horizon

I think he's lost track of time as he mentions the "first few days". Not keeping food down will do that to you though! He doesn't talk about sleep but figure he (and everyone else) hasn't had much of that. Hang in there Dude!

Old 06-22-2010
Last Man Standing

Another few hundred miles closer. Sounds like that high really sucked the air out of everything...

June 22, 2010 | Open Blue Horizon

Old 06-24-2010
Last Man Standing

Wow - he's actually fighting for the lead of this thing in the mono class.

2010 SHTP - Position Reports

Wouldn't it be really cool if he wins it?

Old 06-26-2010
Last Man Standing

Another check-in. He seems to be doing really well.

The only thing that spooks me a bit is his diving on the boat - out in the middle of BFE. He's dropping sail - but it still freaks me out. How do you do that? Is he tethered to the boat somehow? I'd be really scared that I'd lose the boat and be screwed.

2010 SHTP - Log Reports

Old 06-28-2010
TROUBLE

Hey Smack! I got you an answer from the boat owner (2008 SHTP skipper).

this from Ronnie's site.

I just throw a long line behind the boat with a boat cushion tied to it and jump in. Not the smartest move but I guess I am more concerned about something coming up from the deep than being seperated from the boat (cue the shark music).
There is a nylon strap ladder that can be reached from the water that is alway tied to the transom.

Old 06-29-2010
Last Man Standing

Sounds sketchy.

Looks like he's making slow but steady progress. This year seems like a real drifter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.