Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
FYI,

I am from the the Bay Area, born. Lived & owned a business there for 15 years in S.F., so I know where the Transpac starts. That's not where Ronnie started from. It was a joke he would eventually end up back in San Dieago where he departed from when he abandoned his boat in a gale.

That's why they have ratings, so Ronnie still lost to an 80 yr. old man.

I didn't know he had a different boat, but obviously it wasn't as competitive! So I standby my statement he was gifted. Not to mention mentored, and forced to sail the boat, practice, when he wanted to go in for the day...his own words.

Yes smack, we were posting at the same time. As I posted I can compliment Ronnie any time I please, and 99% of everything I typed has been complimentry. When he insisted he lost his boat to the cane, and I showed him his position, and cane 's position. Although 800 miles apart he claims it was a cane that took him out. He wanted a pissing match, so he has gotten one.

If you are going to ask people for money. There should be some accountability. If not then you're nothing less than a TV PREACHER driving big cars, wearing big jewelry, living in big houses. Kind of like Elmer Gantry.

In his blog when he first started riding the bike. He wrote it was raining, and making no progress, so he threw the bike in the back of a truck. After he returned to the U.S. I asked how many miles were in the back of a truck? He then claimed he rode ever inch of the way. There's no shame in taking that ride, but maybe you can see where the distrust comes in? There's more too, but I will most likely choose to keep that private. Usually where there's smoke there's fire.

smack,

You got a huge compliment here on you & your kids. That they were a pleasure to sail with, and you too. Tell me, would you encourage, or discourage your children to gain in life with honesty, or dishonesty?.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'm raising them to be honest. No doubt. As you can see by my posts, I like honesty. It's really cool.

So, I understand your beef with the details. I guess in the context of storytelling, the things you listed above don't bother me as much as they do you. Hopefully he'll get those details straightened out though, with your encouragement.

My beef is with chuckleheads that can't acknowledge Ronnie's accomplishments - which at this point are FAR, FAR beyond anything any of them have done. It's utterly ridiculous. It's like a pack of 13 year old girls in a lunchroom.

The dude can sail. He can sail big. And he just pulled off an Apollo 13 of sailing. That's Wheaties box sailing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-19-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2010

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
FYI,

I am from the the Bay Area, born. Lived & owned a business there for 15 years in S.F., so I know where the Transpac starts. That's not where Ronnie started from. It was a joke he would eventually end up back in San Dieago where he departed from when he abandoned his boat in a gale.

That's why they have ratings, so Ronnie still lost to an 80 yr. old man.

I didn't know he had a different boat, but obviously it wasn't as competitive! So I standby my statement he was gifted. Not to mention mentored, and forced to sail the boat, practice, when he wanted to go in for the day...his own words.

Yes smack, we were posting at the same time. As I posted I can compliment Ronnie any time I please, and 99% of everything I typed has been complimentry. When he insisted he lost his boat to the cane, and I showed him his position, and cane 's position. Although 800 miles apart he claims it was a cane that took him out. He wanted a pissing match, so he has gotten one.

If you are going to ask people for money. There should be some accountability. If not then you're nothing less than a TV PREACHER driving big cars, wearing big jewelry, living in big houses. Kind of like Elmer Gantry.

In his blog when he first started riding the bike. He wrote it was raining, and making no progress, so he threw the bike in the back of a truck. After he returned to the U.S. I asked how many miles were in the back of a truck? He then claimed he rode ever inch of the way. There's no shame in taking that ride, but maybe you can see where the distrust comes in? There's more too, but I will most likely choose to keep that private. Usually where there's smoke there's fire.

smack,

You got a huge compliment here on you & your kids. That they were a pleasure to sail with, and you too. Tell me, would you encourage, or discourage your children to gain in life with honesty, or dishonesty?.....i2f
Did you know that he is a Iraq vet and was wounded - thus qualifying for the boat through the "hope for the warriors" program? That seems like a heavy price to pay for being "gifted" a boat.

Good luck to you as you frolick about, I hope you never have to be rescued
Old 08-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Some good pics and discussion about the keel failure at SA...

Go Ronnie, Go! - Sailing Anarchy Forums - Page 10

Looks like a crack at the leading edge of the foil? Also look at the cracks in the hull around the keel. Some serious stresses...

Old 08-20-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Snack..Just post the picks here eh?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-20-2010
Last Man Standing

I'll try to link to them...THEY ARE GINORMOUS...so no whinging!

(four and five looked identical to me so I ignored five..td)

Original Images came from Index of /images
Files numbered ww1.jpg through ww6.jpg and ww.jpg

Last edited by tdw; 08-22-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: pics shrunk
Old 08-20-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hey mods can you resize those?...Thanks

Holy Cow!....Im even more impressed they kept her upright now...not even a hint of a stub left.

That boat must have some serious hull form stability to boot!....amazing she didn't just turn turtle.....

They are very lucky there was that extra bilge liner...no way to plug that hole fast enough.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-20-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2010
Last Man Standing

Pretty impressive for sure. I'm kind of surprised at the cracks surround the keel. Was that due to the additional movement that would have been happening with the keel? Or is that just weak layup? They are definitely lucky that it didn't take out the whole structure.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-20-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Come on now Apollo 13? That's just not right. 800 miles from shore with all kinds of freighters floating around, helicopters available, and other sources cannot compare to Apollo 13.

I think this is the kind of bragging crap that gets this thread, and other Ronnie threads rolling. He didn't get the predictable, and predicted 15 -20 knots from the N.W. This is how he made it he got a favorable turn in the weather, and as I typed. We all hope for something to go in our favor in a tight spot. You can give credit for what he had accomplished, but you can't blow it out of poportion.

Yes I did know about Ronnie's service to our country. I was exchanging e-mail with Ronnie before he left San Diego, so I was here from the beginning. As far as being rescued. I had that chance, and turned it down to stay with my boat after being disabled in Mexico between Magdellena, and Cabo single-handing.

3 weeks ago my little 4ft 9in wife handled the boat for 24 hours while I was recovering from the pain in my head. Caused by what is now the size of half a tennis ball behind my ear. We were in the ITCZ where it gets a wee bit ugly, and turned back after we passed Isla Malpelo. This ain't hero stuff this is sailing. SAILING IS NOT ALWAYS A SLICK MAGAZINE COVER, it's a full contact sport. Sailing rivers, lakes, and bays are one thing. Sailing Mother Nature is quite another, been there, and done that! Would you like to try again GBURTON?........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Last edited by imagine2frolic; 08-21-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2010
Last Man Standing

frolic, bring home a keel-less boat (mono not multi) and then have your people call my people.

Man you guys make my head spin. I think it was Dog who said that Ronnie was "not worthy" because he was given a boat that had been surveyed and was in great condition - then the keel falls off and he's to blame because he didn't detect the cracks in the weld...which were at the flange....under the bottom paint....blah, blah. Now it's ONLY because of the weather?

Dude, he (and Ed) stayed with a boat, for SEVERAL DAYS, that most would have abandoned. He didn't do anything stupid. He jury rigged and played it conservative to keep the thing upright. He didn't step down into a LR. He didn't punch out with an EPIRB. He didn't "put any SAR lives at risk". He put his own life on the line to bring a borrowed, broken boat back to its owner.

I'm sorry - but you guys are wrong here. The dude kind of rocks. Whether you like it or not...he's going to be a bit of a legend. Funny how that works out.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-21-2010 at 09:17 AM.