Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010
Newish Member

TurAelin is on a distinguished road
TroopShip 376… <hint, hint, nudge, nudge…>

My wife, in her usual thinkin-outta-the-box style, saw an ad for a Catalina 22 on Craigslist... It was being offered for donation to a charitable cause. She wrote to him and they have come to an agreement... He is donating the C-22 to our Girl Scout Troop #376, My wife is the Troop Leader. Troop 376 is a 1 year old troop of Daisy's and Brownie's out of the Beaverdam Service Unit, which is part of the (Virginia) Commonwealth Girl Scout Council.

We are going to go see it tomorrow. It is in the water and has been maintained and sailed for the last few years by the owner's nephew, who is now at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

She is an '83 Catalina 22 swing keel w/ main and jib, no trailer. She is in "good" shape and seaworthy as she is. We are going to do a detailed survey, if we like what we find we will be finalizing the transfer this coming week. And then the next week, weather permitting, I will be sailing her from her current dockage on Glebe Creek at the mouth of the Potomac S,SE to round Smith Point then W,SW to the Great Wicomico Light then more westerly into Ingrams Bay and the thence to her new (temporary) homeport at my brother’s pier in Gacony Cove a daytrip of 28NM.

We are just trying to get the word out that the girls are taking on this project and asking ONLY for whatever assistance anyone may feel like giving, and heartfelt good wishes and encouragement count!!!

The Troop is going to fix her up Bristol fashion and offer her for sale online to raise money for the troop. The girls are gonna pitch in where ever they can... Cleaning, making new cushions, covers, port light curtains, re-painting, decorating the cabin, etc., etc. The more “technical” stuff, rigging, plumbing, engine, etc., will be done by me and my 1st mate… and probably the ship’s gurl (my daughter) as I can’t keep her away from my tools as it is!

The only thing we “need” is not really a need… we’d really like to have a trailer for her. That would add a lot to the sale value and, maybe even more importantly, it would allow us to bring her to my home where we could work on her without having to drive an hour and a half away. If anyone knows of, or hears of a Catalina 22 (or comparable) trailer in working condition please contact me.

Other than that we are simply letting ya’ll know that Virginia Girl Scout Daisy & Brownie Troop 376 is going to refurbishing a Catalina 22... and they are excited!!!! Wish us Luck!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Good on ya!

If you do have to go by water, check those chainplates b4 raising sail.

Best of luck in these trying times. I will follow your post for updates and if God willing - a contribution.
Old 06-18-2010
Newish Member

TurAelin is on a distinguished road
Sailor50, Thanx... and I will check them (believe me I WILL!) I plan on doing as complete a survey as I can with her in the water. and as she is in 3' to 4', I can get wet and get a "feel" for her, under the scumline... as it were. I have a good feeling about the owner, and he has given me a fairly complete verbal record of her last 2 years of maintenance... he replaced the keel pin last year, even though it "looked" ok... but it is an '83 and he felt it best to do the swapout on GP... he and I think alike.
I will be posting updates here, with (links to pix elsewhere)... We are really excited with the project...

TurAelin =/|)= loggin off and bearing for home...