Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Single control traveler

I recently sailed on a friends Pearson (33 feet). The Pearson's traveler (in the picture) simply has the Main Sheet running through a clam cleat. The track has rubber stoppers about a foot apart to stop the main sheet car from moving further laterally on the track. The stoppers are screwed in place, and not easily/quickly movable. The traveler on my boat has lines that control the lateral movement of the car. When sailing close hauled, it also allows me to adjust the tension on the Main's Sheet separately via a winch. This allows me to set the main for max wind conditions (Main Sheet tension, out haul etc.), and blow the traveler in the gusts (to depower the main), while maintaining sail shape. On the Pearson, to do the same thing I had to release the main sheet, essentially bagging the main. The only way I could see to keep the sail shape would be to use the Vang. Questions regarding the Pearson's traveler:
1. Is that proper use of the Vang?
2. It seems like the the car stayed in place when I put tension on the main sheet thereby lifting the car. Is that coincidence, or is it designed to lock in place. If so why would the stoppers be needed?
Any tips on using this type of traveler will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Single control traveler-0618101411.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 06-20-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Hard to say about lifting of the car; it could have bad bearings which is allowing vertical play.

Some boats have a vang setup that you can really crank down hard on with a winch (racing hulls); others are not designed to have that much load (only for downwind control of the sail trim). If the hardware that mounts the vang to the boom and the mast are robust looking (welded on or bolted with backing plates) then it probably would be OK for sail trim. If they are simply threaded into the mast or on a boom bail then I'd say no; it's only for off-wind downhaul.

That traveler system looks like it could use an upgrade to a Harken windward sheeting traveler. It also looks small for a 33' mid-boom sheeting setup. A two speed mainsheet block set (gross trim/fine trim) would also make trimming the main easier.

Mostly you see this sort of car/track-stop setup on a loose footed self-tacking jib or staysail.

JMHO...
Old 06-19-2010

paul323 is on a distinguished road
I have a Pearson 323; although the traveler setup looks similar, mine has the typical two control lines through some blocks (makes it easier to adjust), leading through a fairlead to cam cleats on either side. From your photo it looks to me like your friend's boat had a similar setup, as there is what seems to be a fairlead just above the end of the traveler, and what appears to be 3 screw-holes just above that. Perhaps, if one of the original sheaves on the control lines broke and the PO didn't use the traveler, this could have been a cheap fix.

I'm traveling right now or I'd send a photo; IMHO could be expensive to refit as an upgrade is probably called for; my control lines have an inadequate (as I recall) a 3:1 purchase.

Harken have an interesting article at Harken: Traveler Tuning

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.