Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
BFC: Aeolian Islands(Pics)

Ok I have been meaning to write this up for a while now.......but you know the drill life gets busy something happens at work etc and it well hasn't happened.....Thanks Smack for the reminder and hassling me to write up a Big Freakin' Charter.

It is winter here now though and well amongst the cold(well ok cold for us) I needed a reason to think warm happy thoughts!

Last year enroute to a family celebration in the UK and desperate for a bit of break my wife and I decided to charter in Italy, we were keen to get a taste for the Med, eat some good food, drink some good wine and do a bit of sailing. Our romantic break away however became somewhat less romantic when my parents decided it also sounded like a good idea and decided to join us! We all get along and so what the heck the more the merrier.

We chartered with Sunsail out of Tropea.......a charming little town set on the side of a cliff.

The view from our hotel......

Our first destination was the ‘jet set’ Island of Panarea. The seas were Med flat and there was very little wind so we motor sailed the 35 Nm across to this pretty little island. Not feeling in a Marina sort of mood we dropped the hook in a pretty little bay around from the town.

and explored the island on foot...

From Panarea we headed across to small the hamlet of Rinella on the Island of Salina.

Swimming/Snorkelling around all the islands were great, the water surprisingly warm despite being the end of the season.

Outboards are sooo outrated. We thought we would do our bit to help Italy meet it's emission targets.
Truth be known after all the cheese I needed to exercise!

After a round of drinks at the only bar in town, we found a local and amazing little Pizzeria for dinner.

After Salina a short sail, past Lipari and we were anchored off the Island of Vulcano.

An island created by a now extinct volcano, we decided to give the mud baths a miss, but found it to be a pretty interesting if also ‘fragrant’ place to wander around.

With a less than favourable forecast, we decided to head into the fairly protected harbour on the Island of Salina. The storm that ripped through the islands as we sat down for dinner confirmed that we had made a good decision.

We found the high Piers and gangplanks that are the norm in the Med a great Sobriety test!

Our last night at anchor was once again back at Panarea, where after getting up early we did a circuit of the impressive island of Stromboli to see the active volcano that dominates the Aeolians.

A walk to the top of this Volcano is high on most people’s agendas, however with swell, deteriorating conditions and no sheltered anchorage we gave the island a miss, determined that we would see it next time.

Lumpy seas gave us a exciting passage back to Tropea, where one last night of Pizza/Wine and Limoncello made it easier to forgive this strange sea we had just met.....

Oohhh the Food!!

We will definitely be back to this part of the world....the sailing here is so different to what we are used but the places, the people and scenery are amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap dude, that is amazing! I just showed my wife who said: "I could definitely be talked into that."

You da man!!!

What volcano is that? And what are those caves behind you guys in the dinghy motoring pic?

Those cacti in the 3rd pic look a lot like what we have all over Texas. But the cheese looks WAY better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2010

The volcano is Stromboli.....on the island of the same name. It is still quite active, they had a scare with the thing a few years back. There is Lava running down the side of the thing right into the sea.....It is pretty spectacular. You do have to stay 500 metres off the Volcano and well we weren't particularly keen on getting any closer than that!

There are night time guided tours to the top, we were pretty keen but like I said it wasn't mean't to be this time sadly.

The caves are actually fishing caves, pretty traditional and been there a while....the local fisherman use it to store their nets etc.

I would definitely recommend it Smack, It would be great with kids etc, and the kind of sailing holiday where after dipping rail there is something for the wife as well with museums, art, restaurants, scenery.Chartering was fairly easy through sunsail. We both have our day skipper certificates, but actually in Italy they didn't seem too worry about qualifications at all.

Last edited by chall03; 06-19-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow, THAT'S Stromboli??? That's so cool.

What a great trip. Bummer you guys couldn't spend more time there.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-21-2010

nightowle is on a distinguished road
After having done a sunsail charter in Croatia, we've given some thought to the Aeolian one. thanks for the report and pictures. It's sure helpful to hear from another SN poster on charter travels.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 06-21-2010

No problem Nightowle. If you do have any questions let me know, more than happy to help you out with info. There is also a review on here by Lats and Atts I think on the Aeolians......have a look in the Lats and Atts section, but from memory when we were looking at it there was some good info there as well.

Old 06-21-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
That's amazing for three days. Time is a subjective concept. I bet that the memories of those days are worth a month time

I am looking forward a 15 days charter in Croatia. I am having trouble in planning the voyage. I have very good information, the problem is that there are so many nice little towns to visit, so many nice perfect places to drop the anchor and enjoy the scenery, that I would need three months, instead of 15 days .

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-22-2010

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
Here are some photos from a delivery I did via the Aeolians.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This last image is for PCP. It is the Croatian town of Korcula we visited when we chartered last year.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope you like them!
Old 06-22-2010

nightowle is on a distinguished road
Yes, Korcula is a must for Croatia, as well as Split and Dubrovnik. Hvar is very worthwhile.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 06-22-2010

Nice pics Scott....
Can you remember what anchorages you stopped at???

PCP the charter was actually 5 nights.....night 1 and 5 on the Marina at Tropea....but yeah still not nearly long enough at all!