Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
It wasn't the wind or the the seas, it wasn't the loss of steering and GPS, it wasn't even the Skipper's broken wrist. No, it was the fish hook in the right buttock...

Two people are in hospital - one with a fish hook in her right buttock - after being rescued from a stricken yacht off the west coast of New Zealand's South Island.

Rescue Co-ordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) search and rescue officer Ramon Davis said the 9m yacht Marguerite was 16.5 nautical miles southeast of Kaikoura when a large wave disabled the steering and knocked out its electronics about 8am.

The three men and one woman aboard activated their emergency beacon, as well as calling for help on a cell phone and UHF radio.

A Coastguard vessel reached the boat within two hours and battled 'fierce' weather, including 5m waves and 30-40 knot winds, to rescue those aboard.

'They had trouble locating the yacht at first because visibility was so bad, and the yacht had to set off two flares to signal their position,' Kaikoura-based Search and Rescue co-ordinator Jack Kemp said.

'It was extremely difficult to get the passengers on to Kaikoura Rescue [the Coastguard vessel]. It was a job well done by the volunteers; because of the sea conditions it could have been a lot worse.'

Those on board were from Christchurch and Nelson and were en route to Lyttelton from the Marlborough Sounds.

Two were taken to Kaikoura Hospital - the skipper with a suspected broken wrist and the woman passenger with a fish hook in her right buttock.

Mr Kemp said all four were experienced sailors and had the correct safety equipment on board.

Update:

The yacht has since been found by the coast guard and towed to shore. Coast Guard Coordinator Daryl Mc Millan said later that the damage to the hull of the boat suggests it could have been a whale, not a rogue wave, that hit the yacht.

If they had scuttled the boat they would not have evidence of a whale strike.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonV
Nor if the NZCG had not towed the boat in. USCG won't even tow you to open water in calm conditions if you are grounded. They will pluck you off the boat if you are in danger; but they won't expend any resources to rescue the craft.

Was it that pesky white whale again?
Old 06-25-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I wonder if that would have made any difference to an insurance claim.

The other thing I was wondering is was the yacht stricken or just the folks on board?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 06-25-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
If the boat has solar panels couldn't they just leave the anchor light on and that way it wouldn't be a hazard to navigation?

If the boat does end up on a shore isn't the aluminum mast and other stuff worth the cost to have it removed?

All you would have to do is wait for low tide and pump or drain out whatever water is in the boat and then tie a big rope up to tugboat and drag it off the shore and then sink it or salvage it. If the companionway door was missing then I guess it could sink on its way in to the water. But it could just be left there on the bottom.

If it looked like there was a pretty good chance that the abandoned boat would end up on a rocky shore and break up then I see the reason for scuttling it. But then again, who cares if there is a wreck on a rocky shore where nobody goes? Somebody will still probably come and take the aluminum mast off.
Old 08-15-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Threads are always interesting.

But at the end of the day, with a gale blowing and me trying to avoid drowning, this is SO far down my list of cares as to be irrelevant. Is there ANY case history of a damaged yacht causing an accident (not the potential--real injury)? Can't be many.

I'm guessing that the majority either sink quickly (within a few days) or are salvaged.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 08-15-2011

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
If it looked like there was a pretty good chance that the abandoned boat would end up on a rocky shore and break up then I see the reason for scuttling it. But then again, who cares if there is a wreck on a rocky shore where nobody goes? Somebody will still probably come and take the aluminum mast off.
That sort of is right in line with the thinking of:
  • who cares if drift nets float where no one sees them
  • who cares about plastic garbage if no on sees it
  • who cares about oil dumped in the ocean if no one sees it
  • etc.

I think you get my point, and may want to reconsider your comment.

Hey, I've spouted off about things I was wrong too once in a while
Old 08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
That sort of is right in line with the thinking of:
  • who cares if drift nets float where no one sees them
  • who cares about plastic garbage if no on sees it
  • who cares about oil dumped in the ocean if no one sees it
  • etc.

I think you get my point, and may want to reconsider your comment.

Hey, I've spouted off about things I was wrong too once in a while

You have reduced the argument to the absurd, which insults the process of discussion and rhetoric. This approach has nothing to do with the question, no more than comparing apples to hand grenades.

No, I can't see that you have a related point.

Old 08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
You have reduced the argument to the absurd, which insults the process of discussion and rhetoric. This approach has nothing to do with the question, no more than comparing apples to hand grenades.

Have I? Seems to me MARPOL impacts was discussed before.

My point was that I thought it was a flippant remark to say "who cares" about an abandoned boat pounding against a shore "where nobody goes".

It was the out of sight, out of mind situation I thought inappropriate.

I believe most of us are environmentalists at heart and DO care about our impact on our environment. Flippant remarks about "who cares" are inappropriate, and may well have not been meant in the manner they were made, but until the OP clarifies, I stand by my comment.

What is the right decision? How long is a piece of string?

Weather, location, seas, shipping lanes etc. etc all play a role and all have been mentioned.

Your dealing with a stressful situation and although it may cross your mind after your rescued, I'm not sure scuttling is the primary thought a person would have.
Old 08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

My point was that I thought it was a flippant remark to say "who cares" about an abandoned boat pounding against a shore "where nobody goes".

I believe most of us are environmentalists at heart and DO care about our impact on our environment. Flippant remarks about "who cares" are inappropriate, and may well have not been meant in the manner they were made, but until the poster clarifies, I stand by my comment.

Weather, location, seas, shipping lanes etc. etc all play a role and all have been mentioned.

Your dealing with a stressful situation and although it may cross your mind after your rescued, I'm not sure scuttling is the primary thought a person would have.
Old 08-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

I believe most of us are environmentalists at heart and DO care about our impact on our environment. Flippant remarks about "who cares" are inappropriate, and may well have not been meant in the manner they were made, but until the poster clarifies, I stand by my comment.

My sincere apologies. I do see your first point but did not make the connection. I thought you were speaking of scuttling. Again, my apologies.

So many variables. If it washes onto a 3rd world shore, the boat will be picked over an recycled... mostly. Some--more than would seem likely--are salvaged. I have a friend who bought a "floater" for a dollar. Some will sink. And some will become a litter problem. But as you implied, unless you think you are at great risk of death, most of us would not quit.