Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
On the scuttling from an environmental impact view....

Scuttle the boat and it will sit at the bottom and nothing on it will ever be recycled simply because of the expense. It will instead sit there slowly breaking down slowly infusing it's components into the sea.

If instead it drifts onto shore, anything that is on the boat when it does can be cleaned up and recycled easier.

So scuttling is the ultimate 'out of sight out of mind' solution, it does NOTHING for the environment.

As for recycling the hull, I once had a shed that the roof was an old 14ft fiberglass dinghy, was the ultimate in maintenance free roofs, painted once every few years simply to make it look good.
When I moved in, the boat was in the woods behind the garage with the floors and all other wood rotted out, way too much effort and expense to make it a boat again, but was a great roof
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2011

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
My sincere apologies. I do see your first point but did not make the connection. I thought you were speaking of scuttling. Again, my apologies.
Apologies noted and accepted

I just noted your tag line URL to your blog... I've been following it for months! You do a great job on it. Thought it was a good "teaching moment" the other day about who owns the beach.
Old 08-16-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post
If instead it drifts onto shore, anything that is on the boat when it does can be cleaned up and recycled easier.
That's what I was thinking. Who cares if it is on some shore where nobody goes any more than on the bottom of the ocean? I know someone who does see it may think it is ugly but they could scrap the metals and use the money to have it removed.

If it ends up on a shore the metal parts of the boat can be scrapped, the sails can be taken out an reused and the batteries can be scrapped.

If it lands on a 3rd world shore rocky shore I think pretty much everything except the fiberglass hull will be taken. They'll probably even try to break out the keel with axes to get the lead out. They'll take all the wiring. Everything! Now it is just a big piece of plastic which could be easily dragged off by a tugboat and put at the bottom. Over all the amount of money they got from scrapping it should cover pulling it off the shore, in theory. But they have better things to worry about like feeding their families than whether or not there is an ugly piece of plastic sitting on their shore.
Old 08-29-2011

brpyrate is on a distinguished road
Non-Disposable Boats

1.ANY reason to NOT pay out on a Marine Insurance Policy will be taken advantage of by the Insurer.
(Unless SPECIFICALLY WRITTEN into the Contract "Scuttling" claims will be denied.)
2.USCG MIGHT have an Opinion on "Scuttling",If the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) applies.[Look it Up ,Beforehand]
Please don't put them in a Position of Non-Responsibility as to your Hull.
('Frustrates the H*ll out of them!)
[They're Trained to "Save Lives",which they do at the cost of their own sometimes.]
3.Local Jurisdictions MAY have a much farther reach Seaward in Environmental
Pollution matters than you are aware of.